Becoming an Buddhist

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.

Becoming an Buddhist

Postby Gautama » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:57 pm

I'm 15 years old,and in today's world i'm convinced that we need material goods to be happy,i never agreed with this but sometimes the commercials still get to me,but still rarely :soapbox: . So i want to control this urge of having new things and learn to live by an minimalist standard,sometimes i also fell jealousy,that i want to avoid by all means.

I hope that i will learn a lot of things in this community.
Gautama

Re: Becoming an Buddhist

Postby Indrajala » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Welcome. :smile:
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby Seishin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:36 pm

I admire your decision, being so young, I wonder if you face a more difficult task.

Welcome to the forum,
Gassho,
Seishin.
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:50 am

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!
:popcorn:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Konchog1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:16 am

Gautama wrote:I'm 15 years old,and in today's world i'm convinced that we need material goods to be happy,i never agreed with this but sometimes the commercials still get to me,but still rarely :soapbox: . So i want to control this urge of having new things and learn to live by an minimalist standard,sometimes i also fell jealousy,that i want to avoid by all means.

I hope that i will learn a lot of things in this community.
Welcome.

Just focus on the essentials. Only cling to the material goods and relationships that you can bring with you to your next life. Don't cling to the ones you can't bring with you.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby kirtu » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:31 am

Gautama wrote:I'm 15 years old,and in today's world i'm convinced that we need material goods to be happy,i never agreed with this but sometimes the commercials still get to me,but still rarely :soapbox: . So i want to control this urge of having new things and learn to live by an minimalist standard,sometimes i also fell jealousy,that i want to avoid by all means.

Why minimalism? Minimalism can be tough. Buddha never said that people had to actually be minimalists. He did teach to not be attached to material possessions but that is another matter. Minimalism can be a rigid viewpoint so it can be as much of a trap as mindless consumption. Just don't get jealous over possessions and experiences. But using possessions to help people is a good thing.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby plwk » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:42 am

Less is more, kirtu? :lol:
plwk

Postby Gautama » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:35 am

kirtu wrote:

Why minimalism? Minimalism can be tough. Buddha never said that people had to actually be minimalists. He did teach to not be attached to material possessions but that is another matter. Minimalism can be a rigid viewpoint so it can be as much of a trap as mindless consumption. Just don't get jealous over possessions and experiences. But using possessions to help people is a good thing.

Kirt

well this was mostly mine decision,i want to become a minimalist,because do i really need 4 mobile phones 2 computer,fancy clothes NO!
i want to learn to completly live without this things. I never dressed like an parrot thu.
Gautama

Postby relay » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:15 am

Welcome from New York, US.

peace,
relay
"We do not have to be ashamed of what we are. As sentient beings we have wonderful backgrounds. These backgrounds may not be particularly enlightened or peaceful or intelligent. Nevertheless, we have soil good enough to cultivate; we can plant anything in it.”
~Chögyam Trungpa
relay

Postby waimengwan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:11 pm

Welcome. Yes if material is key to be happy, then all rich people would be happy :)
waimengwan

Return to Introductions