Hello all

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Louie_88

Hello all

Post by Louie_88 »

Hello all,

As I imagine a lot of people are, Im new to Buddhism and seek guidance on where to begin?
Where I'm from there is no local access to fellow Buddhist so unless I travel overseas each time then dharma wheel is my contact point

kind regards
Louie
garudha

Re: Hello all

Post by garudha »

Hi, I'm surprised that you can't find any resources near you. At least you have the www!

In which country are your located, Louie?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:reading:
Punya

Post by Punya »

Hi and welcome Louie. :hi:
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi Louie,

I hope you find what you seek. Welcome to DharmaWheel.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Welcome Louie_88!

I would begin with the life of Shakyamuni Buddha and then read about great masters.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
aakifali321

Post by aakifali321 »

Welcome to DharmaWheel.
foodcrazee

Post by foodcrazee »

kirtu wrote:Welcome Louie_88!

I would begin with the life of Shakyamuni Buddha and then read about great masters.

Kirt
The Great Masters ? Kirtu . . .appreciate if you can enlighten us on the Great Masters. . .thank you
lobster

Post by lobster »

Louie_88 wrote: where to begin?
Hi Louie, :hi:

Youtube? Wikipedia? Your local library. Up to you really . . .

:applause:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

foodcrazee wrote:
kirtu wrote:Welcome Louie_88!

Kirt
The Great Masters ? Kirtu . . .appreciate if you can enlighten us on the Great Masters. . .thank you
Well, begin with the lifestory of Shakyamuni Buddha. Then it depends on where your interests take you. You could continue with the stories of Ananda, Mahapajapati, Mahakashyapa, Anguilimala, Mahamaudgalyayana, Śāriputra and/or Subhuti. Then which ever tradition you feel drawn to, you could begin with great masters from those traditions: the Mahasiddhas of Indian Buddhism, esp. Tilopa, Naropa, Nagarjuna, etc. (these are written in various versions of the 88 Mahasiddhas), Padmasambhava, Yeshe Tsogyal, Milarepa, Sakya Pandita, and/or Tsongkhapa from Tibetan Buddhism, Dogen from Japanese Zen, Saicho and Kukai for the beginnings of Japanese Buddhism, Chinul from Korean Zen, Xun Yun and Sheng Yen from Chinese Buddhism/Chan, Thich Naht Hanh from Japanese Zen (the later 2-3 being contemporary Buddhism). Along the way you will encounter other great master's names. But you will gain much more knowledge and your interests will start to take shape.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Introductions”