Hoping to learn more

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
veryken

Hoping to learn more

Post by veryken »

I'm registered here because I could not find a local temple to join. It's a long story.

And I was looking for the correct local temple, association, school, group, etc., with whom I can identify. Though I haven't really looked so hard. There are so many "different Buddhisms." I'm not familiar with the many labels.

But most immediately, I'm seeking guidance or confirmation or just other minds to bounce ideas off of because of a recent death in my family.

In fact, this Friday is the Buddhist funeral.

Furthermore, the person who passed away is the dearest person in my life — my Grandmother. Hopefully I have already exhausted all my sadness. It's been several days.

So I hope I'm in the right place here for discussions. I will try to spare readers of my heavy hearted situation. And instead I will try to be concise and to the point.

So this is my introduction. I'm a Buddhist since becoming an adult many decades ago and after realizing I have to teach myself everything. Buddhism was never opening taught by my parents or by my Grandmother. Most of what I know I had to research on my own. In many ways I'm a beginner. In other ways, I already have strong beliefs, much of which is already aligned with Buddhism, but I'm always doubting myself. So hopefully I can learn more.

Ken
supermaxv

Re: Hoping to learn more

Post by supermaxv »

Welcome, and sorry to read about your family's loss.

My first real world exposure to Buddhism was at a grandparent's funeral, meeting the very kind nuns who reside and practice at a beautiful temple in Taiwan where my grandparents are both interred. After being exposed to the funeral rites and visiting that temple when my grandmother passed away I was motivated to visit the monastery a few blocks away from my home in Seattle.
veryken

Post by veryken »

Thank you. It seems everything I've taught myself about Buddhism is coming back full force and more at this particular time.

And I'm seeing some contradictions in my beliefs where earlier it didn't matter.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi Ken,

Good to have you here. Welcome aboard.

You can use this board as a way to get yourself familiarized with the different kinds of groups and temples in your area. The whole point is to find a qualified, capable teacher you can learn from--and a community you can practice with. Don't worry about which sect is the right fit, or the right doctrine per se. What you need is someone you can collaborate with, someone you can communicate with clearly. So long as that person knows his or her stuff, so to speak, and you practice with diligence, then you'll make good progress.

There are many, many good teachers and traditions available in the English-speaking world. And one or two stinkers who've gone the wrong way. Hopefully we can steer you toward a good situation for you.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:buddha1:
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Hello Ken :hi:

One of the 4 sights that had led the future Buddha on his path to awakening, was a dead body, as you probably know. The time of the passing of a loved one is a potent reminder of the fleeting nature of this life, isn't it? What better way than to honour the memory than by following the Dharma to liberation?

I hope you find the forum useful for your journey, Ken.

_/|\_
veryken

Post by veryken »

Thank you, all.

I look forward to reading your replies. Now I hope I can navigate these forums properly. All the labels are unfamiliar. Terminology has never mattered before. Good thing I'm somewhat familiar with online discussions, forum formatting, English (to some degree as I'm hardly perfect), and of course, already on the path. As as I like to believe.
gibsonferna

Post by gibsonferna »

Hi, I'm also new here. I am glad to be part of the team. :thinking:
I just wonder, why men likes to carry automatic knives.

Return to “Introductions”