Hello!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
cjdevries

Hello!

Post by cjdevries »

Hi everyone,

My name is Cameron DeVries, I am 27 and from Santa Barbara, CA. I have been practicing Buddhism for 6 years, but only recently began practicing Tibetan Buddhism, under the Nyingma lineage. I am excited to explore the site and improve my understanding of Buddhism. I have participated in some Chan meditation retreats and I have also practiced Pure Land (reciting Amitabhas name). Most of my experience is in Mahayana, and now Vajrayana (which I think is under the umbrella of Mahayana) for the last year or so. At first I was most comfortable with the idea of "other power" i.e. praying or aspiring for the Buddhas' help in finding liberation/awakening and now I am becoming more comfortable with independence- really trusting that if you do the practices and put in an effort you can find awakening yourself. I still pray to Kwan Yin/Chenrezig everyday and ask for help to be compassionate and joyful. I have had many experiences in dreams and meditation that have strengthened my practice. There have been challenging times in recent years for me, especially an incurable and painful illness which has been devastating in so many ways- to my sense of self, my sense of what success means. I am recently able to walk again after being on crutches for over 2 years. I get a lot of joy and strength out of Buddhism, and I enjoy meeting others whether or not they have an affinity with Buddhism. Thank you for welcoming me to the forum!
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Hello!

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Welcome, Cameron :hi:
I'm sure you will find plenty here to stretch your knowledge of the many manifestations of the dharma. Take your time to look around the sub-forums dedicated to the different traditions.

:namaste:
Kim
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Welcome to Dharmawheel.
Hope you get well soon with walking.
:namaste:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:yinyang:
Jim1

Post by Jim1 »

Hi Cameron, great to have you with us on here! :hi:
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha

Return to “Introductions”