Brief members bios - please contribute!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Jeff H

Re: Brief members bios - please contribute!

Postby Jeff H » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:46 pm

Thanks for posting, Coëmgenu. I always find it interesting to read others' stories. Do you mind if I ask how you pronounce your names?

BTW, I have no musical sophistication, but I very much enjoyed listening to your Heart Sutra song.
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

Coëmgenu

Postby Coëmgenu » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Jeff H wrote:Thanks for posting, Coëmgenu. I always find it interesting to read others' stories. Do you mind if I ask how you pronounce your names?

BTW, I have no musical sophistication, but I very much enjoyed listening to your Heart Sutra song.
Kəiṽʲʝiːnʲ, but that is an archaic pronunciation, since that spelling, Caoimhghin, is itself an archaic spelling.

"Kee-veen" with the stress on the last syllable is a suitable modern pronunciation that most Irish people will be familiar with. Honestly most people call me Kevin. Coemgenus is the Latin form of Kevin.
"My pure land is not destroyed,
yet the multitude sees it as consumed in fire,
with anxiety, fear, and other sufferings
filling it everywhere."
(Saddharmapuṇḍarīkasūtra XVI)

All these dharmāḥ are the status of dharma, the standing of dharma, the suchness of dharma; the dharma neither departs from things-as-they-are, nor differs from things-as-they-are; it is the truth, reality, without distortion.(SA 296, 因緣法)
揭諦揭諦,波羅揭諦,波羅僧揭諦,菩提薩婆訶(Prajñāpāramitāhṛdayasya Mantra)

Jeff H

Postby Jeff H » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:50 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Jeff H wrote:Thanks for posting, Coëmgenu. I always find it interesting to read others' stories. Do you mind if I ask how you pronounce your names?

Kəiṽʲʝiːnʲ, but that is an archaic pronunciation, since that spelling, Caoimhghin, is itself an archaic spelling.

"Kee-veen" with the stress on the last syllable is a suitable modern pronunciation that most Irish people will be familiar with. Honestly most people call me Kevin. Coemgenus is the Latin form of Kevin.

Thanks. I certainly could never have worked it out myself!
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

Return to “Introductions”