Hello users

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Infinity

Hello users

Post by Infinity »

Hello users, Infinity here ready for learning Buddhism.
I am a young black male with a interest for the teachings of Buddha.

I found it very interesting and decided to read some of Thich Nhat Hanh's "The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching" and I have to say halfway in I was genuinely interested.
So far I'm trying to meditate everyday for atleast 10 minutes and I'm trying to remember and practice the eight fold path.

But until then does anybody else have any good book suggestions?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Hello users

Post by Ayu »

Welcome, infinity. :)
Sounds like you have a good approach.

Maybe this topic is also helpful for you: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 56#p289456

Best wishes.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

very glad to see you :)

and a glad welcome;

'Entering the Stream' is a go-to book for me, it contains info on most all topics, beginning with the story of Buddha's life; it's selections from many teachers so it gives a wide view;

especially meaningful for me were some of the poems.

oh - daily practice is a very good idea; as in, a similar amount of time each day. . useful for other fields of practice as well :)

Look forward to seeing you around :)
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:yinyang:
Jim1

Post by Jim1 »

Hello Infinity, welcome!

I would say you're definitely on the right track, daily meditation plus following the Noble Eightfold Path. As far as other book suggestions.. "Being Peace" by Thich Nhat Hanh is awesome. It's easily one of my favorite books ever. And also "Ethics for the New Millennium" by His Holiness is very good. Hope that helps.

With metta,
Jim
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel Infinity!

Old Path White Clouds - Thich Nhat Hanh biography of the Buddha drawn from multiple sutric sources.
The Dhammapada - direct short teaching of Shakyamuni Buddha in some 26 short chapters.
Blue Jean Buddha : Voices of Young Buddhists

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
lobster

Post by lobster »

Infinity wrote: But until then does anybody else have any good book suggestions?
Hi :popcorn:

Anything on Buddhism is usually good. :reading:
May seem trite but there are few bad dharma books, you really have to look hard to find those ;)

Return to “Introductions”