New, curious, a little lost.

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Poko

New, curious, a little lost.

Post by Poko »

Hello, everyone.
I've grappled with spirituality for a long time, from An inherited Judaism (Jewish father), to agnostic to boarderline atheist to simply deist, dabbled with understanding Christianity (my mother is Protestant) ... But through all that, the teachings of Buddhism have always drawn me and I've found solace in many of them. I think I am finally at the point in my life where I'm ready to embrace Buddhist spirituality and I hope to learn a lot here.

A little about me... I'm 22, a Soldier in the U.S. army, and love dogs, outdoors and things that seem impossible. I'm exploring Buddhism not only to find peace with myself and those around me, but maybe just to make sense of this world a little more. I'd also like to practice more mindfulness. :)
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: New, curious, a little lost.

Post by Ayu »

Welcome to Dharmawheel. :namaste:
Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

Poko wrote:Hello, everyone.
I've grappled with spirituality for a long time, from An inherited Judaism (Jewish father), to agnostic to boarderline atheist to simply deist, dabbled with understanding Christianity (my mother is Protestant) ... But through all that, the teachings of Buddhism have always drawn me and I've found solace in many of them. I think I am finally at the point in my life where I'm ready to embrace Buddhist spirituality and I hope to learn a lot here.

A little about me... I'm 22, a Soldier in the U.S. army, and love dogs, outdoors and things that seem impossible. I'm exploring Buddhism not only to find peace with myself and those around me, but maybe just to make sense of this world a little more. I'd also like to practice more mindfulness. :)
What unit?
Me= 101st Airborne 327th INF Bastogne (Bastard Children)

Welcome to the disfunctional family, you ever need to talk about anything just let me know.
passel

Post by passel »

Hello. You'll find a lot of different perspectives on this site, it's the internet after all, but I'd offer mine- take it easy, follow your nose. See what interests you, Buddhism is a big field. You don't have to take it all on at once. You mentioned mindfulness. You could start with this website, see if it appeals to you:

http://www.jackkornfield.com

He's well known and mainstream, but this could get the ball rolling. It's good to learn the basics of meditation in person, but plenty of people get started from a book or a website. You can find instructions for basic breath meditation on that website and many others. If you read a bunch you might find it a little confusing, so I'd say just look until you find one that speaks to you, then stop looking for a little while and give the instructions a try. Meditation is a long game, and it's far better to build a daily habit of a few minutes a day (great if you can bump it up to 15 or 20) than to try to do a whole bunch and burn out on it. You probably have plenty of discipline, which can come in handy, but it doesn't need to be your only tool. See what it is about Buddhism (we call it 'dharma') that nourishes you and give your attention to that. You'll want to learn what the "five precepts" are and look at them as an important training tool. I'm guessing you may not have a ton of privacy as a soldier and probably don't want people to hassle you if you start to meditate, so you may have to be sly about it. If you can stay awake laying flat on your back and follow your breath and body sensations, that can be one way. Or sitting in a chair pretending to read the newspaper. (Turn the page every once in a while!) Best though if you can get a little privacy every now and then for sitting meditation. There are Buddhist chaplains in the military but I'm not sure if you have access to any where you are. You could look in to it. As for "embracing Buddhist spirituality", take it slow. You don't need to have a big dramatic conversion event. There is an old saying about changing who you are on the inside while staying the same on the outside. So outwardly you're just acting normal and inwardly you're working to cultivate the mind and heart through mindfulness, compassion and loving kindness. Good luck!
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
Tibetan Guy

Post by Tibetan Guy »

Welcome; I am new just like you. :hi:
The mind is everything. What you think you become - Buddha
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel, Poko!

There is a lot of stuff here, so probably better to ask questions. Don't hold back!

_/|\_
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:guns:
Jim1

Post by Jim1 »

Hello Poko,

Buddhism can definitely help you to be more at peace with yourself and those around you. Also thank you for your service.

With metta,
Jim
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha

Return to “Introductions”