Newbie at dream/sleepyoga

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
cheridavis

Re: Newbie at dream/sleepyoga

Post by cheridavis »

So I am going to just talk to myself...really good at that :twothumbsup: Here is what I am finding out...I've got lots of work. But I have the tools here in my library already until I find a guru and the academic portion always kept me grounded in between my practices. Maybe even thinking of starting a separate thread since it would be a good bookmark for some reading lists, teacher info and events listing. I am doing the work anyway by myself...why not share it no? That is what it is all about no? Maybe someone would find it useful and would save some time. So here is a list of what I have made so far living in the outlands of the Buddhist community concerning Dream/Sleep Yoga:

2 main Tibetan teachers of this practice - that I know of and excludes some other non Tibetan, but trained in the methods (see another list)
Tenzin Wagyal Rinpoche – online course starting in March (I mean right about now!) offers in person stuff in Virginia according to his site, but also has a number of written works online one available for reading for free at http://bit.ly/1pmYfy1
Chögyal Namkhai Norbu – He is coming to Spain in March, but I haven't confirmed if I can get the empowerment from him to practice even if I was prepared. Hoping for an online option like Tenzin since I have a previous connection. He has written works on the practice, most famous Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light
General prep and steps to receive such teachings after I find my guru
Preliminary practices:
(1)Initial empowerment: according to Tsoknyi Rinpoche,Dzogchen practice starts with receiving empowerment
Ngondro, general or outer, and special or inner pre-liminary practices, which prepare one for the main practice;
(2) Great Perfection practice:
- Further empowerment: receiving an empowerment (dbang, initiation) and keeping the vows conferred at that time. This activates our Buddha-mind, by consciously generating a state of mind that is accompanied by understanding;
- Supreme preliminary practices: Jigme Lingpa's ru shan and sbyong ba; practice of the three samadhis
- Main practice, which consists of:Trekchö, "break through", recognising rigpa;
Tögal (thod rgal), "leap ahead", spontaneous presence" which is the stabilisation of rigpa and compassionate action.
(3) Concluding phase

Here is one Ngondro explanation on video which was easy to follow: http://bit.ly/1oWQEGp - I believe it would be up to your teacher to evaluate if you would start either at the outer or the inner per your abilities/understanding, but I know there is no way around the 1111111 prosterations...prepare your knees and pride ahhahaha. Found a blog that addresses just some physical issues here http://bit.ly/1LToaC8

Books I am reading -
WOW...how did I end up with 2 orignal Diamond Sutras from Red Pine in my library??
Naropa and the Six Yogas

Great Film which I am watching about Namkai Norbu called My Reincarnation - http://bit.ly/24zFs2J

Another great site from Andrew Holecek - he was trained in the Tibetan methods, written essays and recently a book, but links up to other retreats and teachings about dream yoga and such. http://www.andrewholecek.com/dream-yoga/ - recently featured in the Lions Roar I believe.

Last but not least wisdom in sharing any superficial yet hopefully helpful info with others like myself:
I confess and request pardon to the responsibilities of this practice, protectors deities, if I exposed too much or made mistakes in this work. May this benefit all.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

cheridavis wrote:There is a Tibetan monastery in central France, but I would have to confirm they have this specific program and the details...in English (translating Tibetan to French well not my forté)
If you are talking about Dhagpo Kundreul Ling I recommend it 100%!!! Many of my lama did their retreats there. There is a strong Dharma community around the monastery and the teachers are top knotch. If you send them an email they may be able to tell you of teachers/groups in Marseilles. I am certain there will be some.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
cheridavis

Post by cheridavis »

Sherab Dorje wrote:If you are talking about Dhagpo Kundreul Ling I recommend it 100%!!!
No...had no idea, but thanks for sharing. I was referring to Dechen Chöling in Limoges. Things are coming together :namaste:
cheridavis

Post by cheridavis »

Heck yeah Sherab...this place in Auvergne is no joke. Double thanks!

Return to “Introductions”