A Blissful Hello From A Beginner

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
BlissfulHeart

A Blissful Hello From A Beginner

Post by BlissfulHeart »

Hello There Everybody!

What a very nice Forum!

Well, there's a book called Zen Mind, Beginners Mind, right? :) So being new has advantages, yes?

I'm just very curious about Buddhism and just excited to learn and experience this world view. I must say I do Love HH Dalai Lama and his teachings and books have lead me more deeper to investigate. I'm completely new to Buddhism and eager to learn more. I am am very respectful of this philosophy and never wish to insult nor offend anyone so if my questions are very off, do tell me it is not proper to ask. I ask anything with humility and reverence.

I'm just truly a very joyful person with a happy pure and trusting heart who adores people.

Actually, I have a rather unique life: I work in a remote area of Alaska for 2 weeks (I'm here at work now off the coast of the Beaufort Sea) and then I have off. completely OFF (holiday) for 2 weeks! (I'm on a short meal break and Googled "Buddhist Forums," so here I am! Yes, we do have internet amongst the polar bear, grizzly bear and stark tundra! LOL. It is -5C today but that is WARM!). I leave on Tuesday and will have more time to read more here.

Anyway just a short introduction to say HELLO. Oh, and I am a Lady in my 40's.

Thank you, Everyone, and I look forward to getting to know you all more in the future!

Namaste. :anjali:

"Bliss"
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: A Blissful Hello From A Beginner

Post by Ayu »

Welcome to Dharmawheel, Lady Bliss. :namaste:
BlissfulHeart

Post by BlissfulHeart »

Ayu wrote:Welcome to Dharmawheel, Lady Bliss. :namaste:
Thanks, Ayu! Nice to meet you!
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Welcome to DW! You have a very interesting lifestyle indeed. Alaska... I confess I am jealous. What do you do there?

Both HH the Dalai Lama and Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind are great reads, I think. In terms of starting actual Buddhist practice, a teacher can be really useful. I know a few people who wrote to a teacher they found resonated with them after listening to talks or given the teacher's various involvements and then subsequently, gone and visited them for some face-to-face instruction, retreats, etc.

In any case, hope you have a good time here on DW.

_/|\_
chi

Post by chi »

Welcome Bliss! We're all beginners here to some extent :)
BlissfulHeart

Post by BlissfulHeart »

Dan74 wrote:Welcome to DW! You have a very interesting lifestyle indeed. Alaska... I confess I am jealous. What do you do there?

Both HH the Dalai Lama and Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind are great reads, I think. In terms of starting actual Buddhist practice, a teacher can be really useful. I know a few people who wrote to a teacher they found resonated with them after listening to talks or given the teacher's various involvements and then subsequently, gone and visited them for some face-to-face instruction, retreats, etc.

_/|\_
Dan!! Hello!!

Oh, no...please, please do not be jealous, my friend. LOL! It is all well and good. The best part is when I leave here! haha!

Have you visited Alaska? What part? I am off the coast of the Beaufort Sea which is restricted to civilians, but there is nothing to really see here! Tundra only.. very flat for hundreds of miles (not far from Russia!) It is just a Work Camp. I work in the Petroleum Industry.

Australia is a wonderful place too and many people here wish to go there! LOL.

This part of Alaska is a very good place for me to learn the many lessons of Patience. There is a beauty of sorts but you must search for it amongst the tundra, wind. cold and people who value money above living creatures. Compassion is a weakness to most.

Thank you for the great feedback. I do not know where I would find a teacher in person here but a good suggestion for a retreat, but maybe he or she will show up.. if I am truly ready. I am going to Fiji this September to become a Yoga instructor... that will be helpful!

Thanks again for the kind welcome, Dan!
BlissfulHeart

Post by BlissfulHeart »

chi wrote:Welcome Bliss! We're all beginners here to some extent :)
Thank you, Chi! Good reminder. :anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:namaste:
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Welcome :meditate:
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
BlissfulHeart

Post by BlissfulHeart »

Thanks David and Vasana! :hug:
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

BlissfulHeart wrote:
Dan74 wrote:Welcome to DW! You have a very interesting lifestyle indeed. Alaska... I confess I am jealous. What do you do there?

_/|\_
Dan!! Hello!!

Oh, no...please, please do not be jealous, my friend. LOL! It is all well and good. The best part is when I leave here! haha!

Have you visited Alaska? What part? I am off the coast of the Beaufort Sea which is restricted to civilians, but there is nothing to really see here! Tundra only.. very flat for hundreds of miles (not far from Russia!) It is just a Work Camp. I work in the Petroleum Industry.

Australia is a wonderful place too and many people here wish to go there! LOL.

This part of Alaska is a very good place for me to learn the many lessons of Patience. There is a beauty of sorts but you must search for it amongst the tundra, wind. cold and people who value money above living creatures. Compassion is a weakness to most.

Thank you for the great feedback. I do not know where I would find a teacher in person here but a good suggestion for a retreat, but maybe he or she will show up.. if I am truly ready. I am going to Fiji this September to become a Yoga instructor... that will be helpful!

Thanks again for the kind welcome, Dan!
I haven't visited Alaska, but living in a busy metropolis, sometimes I dream of 'tundra only for hundreds of miles'. Compassion must be especially tricky to cultivate among the people who value it so little, though they too probably have their own kind of compassion. Just like there is its own kind of beauty there. Alaska reminds me of the stories of Jack London and the movie Salmonberries. Reality is always different though, isn't it?

Enjoy your time in Fiji - I hear it's a great place - my brother and his wife holiday there often.

_/|\_

Return to “Introductions”