Hello

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
dharmagreg

Hello

Post by dharmagreg »

I started practicing vipassana meditation ( a set of Theravadan teaching for insight) 7 years ago. I have learned from a couple of well written books that translated the teachings into english very well written by Joseph Goldstien and Sharon Salzburg. I have never had any funds to physically go to the retreat, but feel that I have benefitted by doing the insight meditation retreat following the instructions more so because of the amount of effort that I had to cultivate with out the encouragement a retreat would provide.

I am interested in the Tibetan teachings now because of the yogas. I have already had a nice member of the community here prescribe a couple of dream yoga books, since that is the main reason I am attracted to the Tibetan lineage. But I would love to learn everything that there is, including the teachings that are not allowed to be shared outside of the lineage.
Boomerang

Re: Hello

Post by Boomerang »

Nice to meet you.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Welcome, dharmagreg. :namaste:
Punya

Post by Punya »

Hello and welcome Greg. :hi:
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:meditate:
Luke

Post by Luke »

That's cool. Welcome, Dharmagreg! :)

You might want to check out the book "The Jewel Ornament of Liberation" by Gampopa.

https://www.amazon.com/Jewel-Ornament-L ... 1559390921

It sequentially goes through the basic philosophy of the Kagyu path of Tibetan Buddhism. It doesn't contain any fancy, advanced tantric meditations and is perhaps kind of dry reading for some people, but I have always felt that my encounter with the book brought me tons of blessings and good karma which eventually led to me finding Tibetan lamas and other Buddhist teachers.

Although I just do Soto Zen now, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Gampopa, and I hope that the book will bring you good luck, as well. :)

Return to “Introductions”