Hey everybody!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
DewachenVagabond

Hey everybody!

Post by DewachenVagabond »

Hey everybody! So my name is Josh. I'm a 23 year old ex-Mormon, Pure Land Buddhist who has been studying for about the last four years. I'm an INTP personality, and I tend to obsess over things that catch my interest (which admittedly isn't the most Buddhist thing since it is just an attachment), so if I ever stop practicing and studying Buddhism it will probably be because I've read and learned so much as to feel I've become an expert on the subject, which is when I start to get bored with a subject. But there is so much to learn in Buddhism I don't think that will ever happen.

I originally looked into Theravada and Zen and liked those traditions well enough. When I first started studying Pure Land I had only heard that a lot of Westerners thought of it as being very close to Christianity, so I actually wasn't expecting to like it. But as soon as I started looking into it, it just clicked and seemed so perfect for me personally. A similar thing happened when I first started studying Buddhism. I was trying to just disprove it at first, but that didn't last long.

:offtopic: So a little about me. Other than Buddhism, my interests include sports (especially basketball. Despite being quite short I always wanted to be in the NBA growing up and I would spend hours in the 110 degree heat here in the summers practicing by myself), reading, philosophy, studying religions in general, studying Mormon history which the LDS church never taught us and completely whitewashed, and music--most genres but specifically hip hop. In fact, after forcing my way home from my Mormon mission at 19 I started recording my own music. Thus Emcee Combs. Not very well of course but I did it. :tongue: I really suck at mixing and mastering so my sound quality isn't the best, but when I had someone professionally do it the end result turned out much worse which shocked me. The guy who did it for me had heard my music on Twitter, and he had one of those verification badges. In fact at this point he's the CEO of Hip Hop Now magazine, and he's got a decent IMDb profile so I don't know what happened with that. I've got some music on Soundcloud and a couple songs on Spotify. At some point I just stopped making music and I'm not sure I ever will again. That is all useless information, but I'm starting to get obsessed thinking about myself and oversharing :crazy: So I'll just stop here.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Re: Hey everybody!

Post by Admin_PC »

Welcome to DharmaWheel!
Nice to see you over here too. ;)
:anjali:
DewachenVagabond

Thanks PorkChop! I've been lurking here for a while and decided it was time to make a profile.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Welcome Josh. Your song "Pap Pap" well,you were just rhyming ?Cuz you can't cock a Glock .
DewachenVagabond

amanitamusc wrote:Welcome Josh. Your song "Pap Pap" well,you were just rhyming ?Cuz you can't cock a Glock .

Lol oh God. :toilet: Yeah that was pretty much just rhyming and I obviously didn't look enough into it (I've never owned a gun). I used to just use writing to get negative feelings out rather than just letting them build up, so that is pretty much all that song is.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:guns:

Return to “Introductions”