Tantric semen retention

shanehanner

Tantric semen retention

Post by shanehanner »

How important is this practice? I intuitively feel that it is extremely beneficial but I wanted to hear some members opinions and experiences. Secrets of the trade, if you will. :sage:
Thomas Amundsen

Re: Tantric semen retention

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

shanehanner wrote:How important is this practice? I intuitively feel that it is extremely beneficial but I wanted to hear some members opinions and experiences. Secrets of the trade, if you will. :sage:
If it's not something being taught to you by your guru, probably not important at all. And if it is being taught to you by your guru, I'm sure they'd be able to tell you how important it is.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

That is probably the best and most accurate answer you can hope to get.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Fortyeightvows wrote:That is probably the best and most accurate answer you can hope to get.
:good:
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

It depends what your aim is. If you're trying to conceive children for instance, semen retention wouldn't be important or extremely beneficial, in fact it would be a hindrance.

In general it's not great to waste semen by masturbating or over indulging in sex. You can avoid those things without needing to learn "retention".

If you are interested in actually learning the advanced pranayama practices of Vajrayana yogas that involve intimate union, then there is a great deal of preparation, the most essential of which is finding an authentic Lama who has this knowledge (not all of them do). Generally, ngakpas with consorts are more likely to be knowledgeable in the practical application of this.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

tomamundsen wrote:
shanehanner wrote:How important is this practice? I intuitively feel that it is extremely beneficial but I wanted to hear some members opinions and experiences. Secrets of the trade, if you will. :sage:
If it's not something being taught to you by your guru, probably not important at all. And if it is being taught to you by your guru, I'm sure they'd be able to tell you how important it is.
I think there are more nuances to it than this. Experiment and trust your own experiences. By experimenting I mean the experiential quality of your meditations, not doing practices that are beyond what a master has confided in you.

J.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Topic locked. This kind of thing is only going to be of use in a practice you've been personally given by a teacher. It's best to rely on their advice, not that of strangers over on the internet.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

Return to “Mahamudra”