Top Five Mahamudra Books

mahabuddha

Top Five Mahamudra Books

Post by mahabuddha »

What are your top five mahamudra books?
heart

Re: Top Five Mahamudra Books

Post by heart »

mahabuddha wrote:What are your top five mahamudra books?
http://www.amazon.com/Clarifying-Natura ... y_14_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Seal-Mahamu ... +mahamudra

These two are really very good.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
passel

Post by passel »

The big book- Mahamudra and Related Instructions- blows me away. No way to be done with that book- it's infinite. Translation format can be a little clunky but so worth the effort.

Lamp of Mahamudra- very readable; Straight from the Heart is not strictly Mahamudra, or not only Mahamudra, but it has a Mahamudra spin and there is lots of good stuff in there.

Masters of Mahamudra- tales of the mahasiddhas.

And oh, what the hell, Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
passel

Post by passel »

Also, just got Royal Seal of Mahamudra and so far it is quite amazing,

and the biography of Togden Shakya Shri- expensive but you might get lucky and find a used copy.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
philji

Post by philji »

heart wrote:

/magnus
Just started reading "Royal seal of mahamudra" and as you say Magnus it is very good. I like my instruction manuals to be practical and concise and this certainly seems to be that, highly recommended.. One of my other personal favourites is " Vivid awareness" Khenpo Gangshar instructions with commentary by Thrangu Rinpoche, again practical, concise and written in plain English!! For a numbskull like me that is very important..... Looking forward to receiving pith instructions from Khenpo Gangshar's teachings in a few weeks from my beloved teacher Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche.... :sage:
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Top five, eh?

If vol. 8 of the Tibetan Classics series contains the Shangpa's Chagchen Ga'uma, it will be one of my favorites books on the topic.

For now.....
Opening the Door To Certainty
Mahamudra and Related Instructions
Ocean of Certainty
Crystal Clear
Clarifying the Natural State

Honorable mention to the various translations of Dakpo Tashi Namgyal's Moonbeams....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
heart

Post by heart »

philji wrote:
heart wrote:

/magnus
Just started reading "Royal seal of mahamudra" and as you say Magnus it is very good. I like my instruction manuals to be practical and concise and this certainly seems to be that, highly recommended.. One of my other personal favourites is " Vivid awareness" Khenpo Gangshar instructions with commentary by Thrangu Rinpoche, again practical, concise and written in plain English!! For a numbskull like me that is very important..... Looking forward to receiving pith instructions from Khenpo Gangshar's teachings in a few weeks from my beloved teacher Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche.... :sage:
Lucky you, I want even see Rinpoche this year because of work issues. I signed up for Chokling Rinpoches seminar i September instead.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
philji

Post by philji »

heart wrote:
philji wrote:
Lucky you, I want even see Rinpoche this year because of work issues. I signed up for Chokling Rinpoches seminar i September instead.

/magnus
Are you going to Chokling Rinpoche in Denmark or Austria... I and my wife are very interested in the Guru Dewa Chenpo retreat also the guru yoga of simplicity transmission....I think he is giving these at the two centres?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Anything uttered by Saraha!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

'Pointing Out The Dharmakaya' Thrangu Rinpoche.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
heart

Post by heart »

philji wrote: Are you going to Chokling Rinpoche in Denmark or Austria... I and my wife are very interested in the Guru Dewa Chenpo retreat also the guru yoga of simplicity transmission....I think he is giving these at the two centres?
I am going to Denmark, hitch a ride with a friend. I still can't see any program in Austria. The ultimate Guru Yoga of Simplicity is just a lung, just ask nicely. In Denmark it seems he is giving the Sampa Lhundrup (main deity is Guru Dewa Chenpo)as well as a Vajrapani empowerment and also an other very short Dewa Chenpo practice (probably this one: http://lhaseylotsawa.org/wp-content/upl ... -marks.pdf) . Then threefold sky practice.

Would be nice to see you there. :smile:

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

philji

Post by philji »

heart wrote:
philji wrote: Are you going to Chokling Rinpoche in Denmark or Austria... I and my wife are very interested in the Guru Dewa Chenpo retreat also the guru yoga of simplicity transmission....I think he is giving these at the two centres?
I am going to Denmark, hitch a ride with a friend. I still can't see any program in Austria. The ultimate Guru Yoga of Simplicity is just a lung, just ask nicely. In Denmark it seems he is giving the Sampa Lhundrup (main deity is Guru Dewa Chenpo)as well as a Vajrapani empowerment and also an other very short Dewa Chenpo practice (probably this one: http://lhaseylotsawa.org/wp-content/upl ... -marks.pdf) . Then threefold sky practice.

/magnus
Although it isn't yet listed on Gomde Austria site, this is on CGLF website.

AUSTRIA
23-Sep-16
Friday
to
27-Sep-16
Tuesday Rangjung Yeshe Gomde Austria-Germany Ultimate Guru Yoga of Simplicity Retreat
28-Sep-16
Wednesday Guru Trinley Nyingpo practice
29-Sep-16
Thursday
30-Sep-16
Friday Khandro Yeshe Tsogyal Empowerment
01-Oct-16
Saturday Guru Rinpoche Tukdrub Sampa Lhundrub Empowerment
02-Oct-16
Sunday Guru Rinpoche Tukdrub Sampa Lhundrub Grand Puja
heart

Post by heart »

philji wrote:
heart wrote:

/magnus
Although it isn't yet listed on Gomde Austria site, this is on CGLF website.

AUSTRIA
23-Sep-16
Friday
to
27-Sep-16
Tuesday Rangjung Yeshe Gomde Austria-Germany Ultimate Guru Yoga of Simplicity Retreat
28-Sep-16
Wednesday Guru Trinley Nyingpo practice
29-Sep-16
Thursday
30-Sep-16
Friday Khandro Yeshe Tsogyal Empowerment
01-Oct-16
Saturday Guru Rinpoche Tukdrub Sampa Lhundrub Empowerment
02-Oct-16
Sunday Guru Rinpoche Tukdrub Sampa Lhundrub Grand Puja
That sounds awesome to.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

KRB80

Post by KRB80 »

I can also wholeheartedly recommend The Royal Seal of Mahamudra. An absolutely superlative gem of a book.
We live in illusion and the appearance of things. There is a reality. We are that reality. When you understand this, you see that you are nothing, and being nothing, you are everything. That is all. - Kalu Rinpoche

Return to “Mahamudra”