Postby Stewart » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:25 am

s.

Malcolm

Re: Loch Kelly

Postby Malcolm » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:47 pm

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Free of hope and fear, relax.
Human life spent in
a state of great spaciousness is enjoyable.

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

Kim

Postby Kim » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:43 pm

That's fine Malcolm.

I have emailed Tergar's Tim Olmsted to inquire about this,whether or not Loch Kelly has been authorised or not. Philji PM'd me and clarified this based on what he knows.

Be it one way or the other, on the basis of my familiarisation, I certainly would not be as hasty as Malcolm calling Loch Kelly "new age". He's been studying with these rinpoche's for a few decades. A person like that doesn't become new age overnight simply because the lama's permission isn't there after all. I've heard only good things about how Loch teaches and how people benefit of it.

Even if it turns out that he misunderstood something and did not receive Mingyur's permission, it doesn't make him a hoax. Perhaps he simply misunderstood, got something wrong. I doubt, though can't be sure, that he purposefully started to mislead people and claimed authenticity as a mahamudra teacher while Mingyur was on retreat. Even if he is, well, keen on money it doesn't make him a liar and a false guru. After all, he has studied with Mingyur, Tsoknyi and Tulku Urgyen for a long time. I still consider him very worth checking out, with or without Mingyur's authorisation. I still think his interviews and materials are very beneficial to any student of meditation. This is something that can't be said of many lamas out there who have formal credentials bigger than a house.
”I don't think we need even a scrap of Tibetan culture, including vajrayana buddhism, in order to recognise the nature of mind. If somebody walks in of the street here who never heard of Tibet or Tibetan buddhism and has a natural antipathy to anything other than American culture, is given the essence of dzogchen, there's no reason why that person should not attain immediately the same state that we have reached, having gone through that whole circuit of oriental culture and Tibetan buddhism.” - Keith Dowman

Kim

Postby Kim » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:19 pm

Direct quote:

Kim,

[...]

Mod-note: Quote removed on request by Kim.
Last edited by Ayu on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote on request.
”I don't think we need even a scrap of Tibetan culture, including vajrayana buddhism, in order to recognise the nature of mind. If somebody walks in of the street here who never heard of Tibet or Tibetan buddhism and has a natural antipathy to anything other than American culture, is given the essence of dzogchen, there's no reason why that person should not attain immediately the same state that we have reached, having gone through that whole circuit of oriental culture and Tibetan buddhism.” - Keith Dowman

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:21 pm

"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Ayu
Global Moderator

Postby Ayu » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:47 pm

I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:06 pm

"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

philji

Postby philji » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:53 pm

I am glad Km has managed to get clarification from Tergar about this, as he knows I too have had this clarified from Tergar.
How and why the " misunderstanding" took place who knows, it may have been innocent.
I prefer to go to the source and when we are lucky to have Mingyur and his brothers with us..make the most of them..they are priceless gems.

Kim

Postby Kim » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:27 pm

Stewart

Postby Stewart » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:22 am

s.

Kim

Postby Kim » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:07 am

Knotty Veneer

Postby Knotty Veneer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:53 am

Last edited by Knotty Veneer on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Trump’s grand and vulgar self-absorption is inviting all of us to examine our own selfishness. His ignorance calls us to attend to our own blind spots. The fears that he stokes and the isolation he promotes goad us to be braver, more generous.” - James S. Gordon.

philji

Postby philji » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:06 am

Following on from comments here, I don't think anyone is disputIng Mr Kelly's ability to teach meditation...but maybe to rein in the advertising and amend some of the language used. I don't think what Mingyur Rinpoche and Adyashanti are teaching is the same thing..Mr Kelly needs to decide which path he is walking.

Simon E.

Postby Simon E. » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:19 am

:good:

Not even the same religion.
" My heart's in the Highlands
my heart is not here.
My heart's in the Highlands
chasing the deer."

Robert V.C. Burns.

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:09 pm

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Human life spent in

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:20 pm

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Human life spent in

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

fckw

Postby fckw » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:44 pm

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:04 pm

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Human life spent in

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

Knotty Veneer

Postby Knotty Veneer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:40 pm

“Trump’s grand and vulgar self-absorption is inviting all of us to examine our own selfishness. His ignorance calls us to attend to our own blind spots. The fears that he stokes and the isolation he promotes goad us to be braver, more generous.” - James S. Gordon.

Return to “Mahamudra”