Finally! Mahamudra Library of Tibetan Classics Volume

Josef

Finally! Mahamudra Library of Tibetan Classics Volume

Post by Josef »

The long wait is over.
http://gobeyondwords.wordpress.com/2011 ... tructions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
conebeckham

Re: Finally! Mahamudra Library of Tibetan Classics Volume

Post by conebeckham »

Yes, this is great news.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Josef

Post by Josef »

Its really good. And much more comprehensive than just Mahamudra.
There is a lot of variety in there that puts Mahamudra in the appropriate context.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

One of my teachers just informed me that he will be giving instructions on the section of this volume that deals with the mahamudra writings of Gampopa. Does anybody have a list of the texts included in the volume?

I want to read them before the retreat but, unless things go hideously right, I doubt I will have the $70 needed to buy the book sometime soon.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

A String of Pearls : A Collection of Dharma Lectures

Tshogs chos mu tig phreng ba. This appears to be an uncommon type of Tibetan text, a collection of transcribed lectures to be used as the basis for talks. Gampopa's collected works also includes pupils' records of talks he gave. These texts existed in manuscript form for centuries, and therefore published versions have a number of variations from which a critical edition needs to be made. The published editions in which this text appear include: Selected Writings of Sgam po pa Bsod nams rin chen (Dwags po lha rje) with the Biography Written by His Descendant Sgam Po Pa Bsod nams lhun grub (Dolanji: Tibetan Bonpo Monastic Center, 1974); Collected Works (Gsun 'bum) of Sgam po pa Bsod nams rin chen (Delhi: Shashin, 1976); A Treasury of Instructions on the Mahamudra (Nges don phyag rgya chen po'i khrid mdzod) (New Delhi: Shamar Rinpoche, 1997); Khams gsum chos kyi rgyal po mnyam med sgam po pa 'gro mgon bsod nams rin chen mchog gi gsung 'bum yid bzhin nor bu (Kathmandu:bShri Gautam Buddha Vihara, 2000); Collected Works (Gsung 'bum) of Sgam po pa Bsod nams rin chen (Darjeeling, West Bengal: Kagyu Sungrab Nyamso Khang, 1981); and Collected Works of Gampopa (Bsod nams rin chen gsun 'bum) (Sde dge, Tibet: Sde dge par khang chen mo, n.d.).

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

gregkavarnos wrote:One of my teachers just informed me that he will be giving instructions on the section of this volume that deals with the mahamudra writings of Gampopa. Does anybody have a list of the texts included in the volume?

I want to read them before the retreat but, unless things go hideously right, I doubt I will have the $70 needed to buy the book sometime soon.
:namaste:

Mahamudra and Related Instructions: Core Teachings of the Kagyu Schools (Library of Tibetan Classics) by Peter Roberts and Peter Alan Roberts (Kindle Edition - May 10, 2010) - Kindle eBook
Buy: $29.99

You can buy it in a kindle edition.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Gampopa's talks are the thirty first pages of the "Mahamudra and Related Instructions" ... but the book contains The Quintesscence of Nectar, Instructions for the Practice of the Six Dharmas of NAropa by Sharmapa Chökyi Wangchuk ...

Sönam
Last edited by Sönam on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Or buy a used copy: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... s&x=40&y=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for $40 or so
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Thank you all for your kind (and extremely prompt) advice and information! :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
In the bone yard

Post by In the bone yard »

A translator must be able to fully understand what he or she is translating.
How do you know the translators are qualified?

You may get understanding from a translator that isn't very high.
Josef

Post by Josef »

In the bone yard wrote:A translator must be able to fully understand what he or she is translating.

The translations in the LOTC are thoroughly vetted.
Peters translation is fine.
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

Nangwa wrote:
In the bone yard wrote:A translator must be able to fully understand what he or she is translating.

The translations in the LOTC are thoroughly vetted.
Peters translation is fine.
Yes, his translations seem to be well supported and accepted by senior Kagyu lamas. Also, Thupten Jinpa, in the Editor's Preface, thanks Roberts for his "masterful translation" of these texts. High praise, I would say.
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu

Return to “Mahamudra”