Neck pain

Discuss any health or dietary topics which lie outside mainstream Western medical thinking, from Ayurveda to Reiki.
Konchog1

Neck pain

Post by Konchog1 »

My mom has been suffering from neck pain for awhile. So bad she can''t turn it. Any advice? Tibetan medicine or Ayurveda tips appreciated even more.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Neck pain

Post by DGA »

I had similar problems over the last year (very limited range of movement, intense pain, numbness in the hands...), but steadily making a recovery through medical massage, chiropractic care, physical therapy, hatha yoga, and changes in posture and work habits. I had to get different shoes, different work furniture, different bedding &c. The good news is that the pain is nearly gone, the muscle spasms aren't coming back, I'm stronger in my upper body, I'm almost an inch taller as my posture has improved, and I can turn my head in all directions now.
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Asumeing this is a somewhat elderly woman, the first thing I would suspect since it is nearly endemic in those of the west with a western diet..osteoperiosis.

AS the skeleton modifies to adapt to the changes so does the musculature, sometimes in a deterimental or pain producing fashion.
ASide from that one must look at prior injury...certainly a complete medical workup on this issue should be done. If it has not..perhaps it has.

One could offer I'd guess any number of remedies that will have some effect but I would question if that would get to the heart of the issue...what is really happening...response to injury osteoporisis, or what.

Just some bojo on the internet but I don't know....it seems this may first be a conventional medical issue then alternative medicine if normal remedy does not suffice...perhaps that is what is happening but that is unclear.

Has this been consulted to a MD?
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

ronnewmexico wrote:Asumeing this is a somewhat elderly woman, the first thing I would suspect since it is nearly endemic in those of the west with a western diet..osteoperiosis.

AS the skeleton modifies to adapt to the changes so does the musculature, sometimes in a deterimental or pain producing fashion.
ASide from that one must look at prior injury...certainly a complete medical workup on this issue should be done. If it has not..perhaps it has.

One could offer I'd guess any number of remedies that will have some effect but I would question if that would get to the heart of the issue...what is really happening...response to injury osteoporisis, or what.

Just some bojo on the internet but I don't know....it seems this may first be a conventional medical issue then alternative medicine if normal remedy does not suffice...perhaps that is what is happening but that is unclear.

indeed. Before osteoperosis becomes obvious, cervical spondylosis can set in. Everyone gets it eventually, but some get it sooner than others.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

ronnewmexico wrote:Asumeing this is a somewhat elderly woman, the first thing I would suspect since it is nearly endemic in those of the west with a western diet..osteoperiosis.

She's over 60 and hasn't asked a doctor about it for some reason. I just wanted to know something to help her at home.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Not to get you to worry but continual neck pain can be symptomatic of some negative things. Rare but possible. It is a symptom the pain not a causitive issue.
Most probably it is just a muscular response of some kind but a continual pain of that sort has to be checked by a medical doctor.

Then perhaps alternative things after that or with that.
If osteoperosis related the meds are benign and only occasionally taken so it is no big deal. Muscle relaxants perhaps a ortheopod consultant perhaps chiropracty or if desired.... acupuncture for symptomatic relief. That'd be this bobo's guess.
Even alternative it is best to first know the cause by physical exam.
And go from there...that's my opinion.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.

Return to “Alternative Health”