Antibiotics alleviate symptoms of schizophrenia

Discuss any health or dietary topics which lie outside mainstream Western medical thinking, from Ayurveda to Reiki.
Jesse

Antibiotics alleviate symptoms of schizophrenia

Post by Jesse »

Just found this article today; I don't suppose it's technically alternative health, but if this ends up working out.. there will be many, many happy people in the world.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 69121.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scientists believe that schizophrenia and other mental illnesses including depression and Alzheimer's disease may result from inflammatory processes in the brain. Minocycline has anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective effects which they believe could account for the positive findings.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Wesley1982

Re: Antibiotics alleviate symptoms of schizophrenia

Post by Wesley1982 »

I was diagnosed previously (several years ago) with "schizoaffective disorder" but it does not reflect my current mental health today which is overall good.

I thought it would be good to come to Dharma Wheel to learn about other methods of treatment of mental illnesses.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Intriguing isn't it? The antibiotic sword cuts both ways tho, as the recent rise in asthma cases has been tied to use of vancomycin in the early years of life.
It's still in the mouse study stage, but here's the link. http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/201 ... study.html
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
mint

Post by mint »

Antibiotics are already abused leading to increased resistance. The age of modern medicine is coming to a close.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

It is interesting, I think all drugs have side-effects and are dangerous when misused, antibiotics most certainty have saved alot of lives, but ofc we aren't always prepared for the long term effects, there just needs to be tighter controls on them honestly.

I look forward to the day when all mental & physical disease has been eliminated, and I think it will be mostly accomplished within my generations lifetime which is kind of cool. Nanotechnology, and stem cell research will prob. be the future of modern medicine, I think we will eventually move away from broad acting drugs like we use today, and more toward very precise targeting of disease.. eg: a nanobot that delivers precise and specific chemicals directly to cells.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.

Return to “Alternative Health”