MA in Buddhist Studies at Fo Guang University in Taiwan

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Huifeng

Re: MA in Buddhist Studies at Fo Guang University in Taiwan

Post by Huifeng »

Applications for Entrance in the Next Semester -- Feb 2014 -- Now Open
We also have a new University and Departmental Webpage, please check it ou!

Fo Guang University, Department of Buddhist Studies:

Masters Program (International Students)
Application Dates : 2013 October 15 to November 15 (Spring semester)

PhD Program (International Students)
Application Dates : 2013 October 15 to November 15 (Spring semester)

All successfully enrolled Masters and PhD students receive an annual NT $100,000 scholarship (2 years max.)
This is enough to cover tuition fees, board and food.
http://buddhist.fgu.edu.tw/news/news.php?Sn=1

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Thanks to those members who messaged or emailed me off the board. Just a reminder that the present enrollment period is now open, up until November 19th. I hope I've managed to clear up a few issues and questions for those who asked.

As we've just moved over to a new University wide and also Department website format, we're still working a little bit on getting the website up to date and making sure all the right information is there. One small issue still not ironed out is that on the home page < http://buddhist.fgu.edu.tw/main.php > one of the headers is <國際學生> which means "International Students". So please follow that link for the information inside < http://buddhist.fgu.edu.tw/page3/super_ ... ge301&Sn=5 >.

I also want to get some better photos of the campus and department on the site too. The present ones were taken during a winter break, not the best shots at all. If you know me on Facebook, please feel free to check out my photos there. A number of them are from in and around FGU campus.

~~ Huifeng
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Best wishes for good international participation. We need more Western scholarship on Chinese Buddhism, and hopefully the graduates will be able to contribute to that.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Multi-lingual training:
In addition to Buddhist Studies, students are trained in Buddhist languages such as Sanskrit, Pāli, and Tibetan. A heavy emphasis is placed on English and Japanese language acquisition.
http://buddhist.fgu.edu.tw/course/super ... ID=course1

Dear Ven. Huifeng,

I am wondering how the language instruction in the Buddhist canonical languages is going to be given? Will FGU fly in scholars who are experts in these classical languages or will students use online resources? Will Tibetan be taught only as a scriptural language or also as a modern language?

If I know a bit about this I can inform a couple of young people who sometimes attend weekend courses here, who are interested in studying Buddhism academically.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

JKhedrup wrote:
Multi-lingual training:
In addition to Buddhist Studies, students are trained in Buddhist languages such as Sanskrit, Pāli, and Tibetan. A heavy emphasis is placed on English and Japanese language acquisition.
http://buddhist.fgu.edu.tw/course/super ... ID=course1

Dear Ven. Huifeng,

I am wondering how the language instruction in the Buddhist canonical languages is going to be given? Will FGU fly in scholars who are experts in these classical languages or will students use online resources? Will Tibetan be taught only as a scriptural language or also as a modern language?

If I know a bit about this I can inform a couple of young people who sometimes attend weekend courses here, who are interested in studying Buddhism academically.
Hi,

The languages are taught by our own faculty, no need to "fly in scholars" when we already have our own.

Recently the classes have been taught as follows:
Sanskrit: Prof. Choong / Prof. Chen
Pali: Prof. Gao = Grohman
Tibetan: Prof. Lin (/ Prof. Liu)
Chinese: Prof. Gao = Grohman / Prof. Solonin
Japanese: Prof. Chen

We don't presently have the resources to do Tibetan as both classical and modern.

The basics are taught at undergrad level, in Chinese. Our present issue is that at MA level languages should already be a "given", as per most similar departments at universities elsewhere. So, if a student doesn't have the languages, they have to do make up by sitting in on the undergrad classes. So, not all these languages are taught in English. It varies which ones are, and which ones are not, depending on the time and teacher. Classical Chinese is only taught in English.

~~ Huifeng
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Still, very respectable offering. Lots of choice in terms of languages- I am impressed.
sumedhaviraj

Post by sumedhaviraj »

I am a Buddhist Studies graduated from Sri Lanka. I have follow my BA degree in English medium. I am working as a teacher since 2007.I want to follow MA in Buddhist Studies and am in need of scholarship. please give me some information. I tried to get to FO Guang University in Taiwan. But now I am in a problem there is no Taiwan Embassy in Sri Lanka.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

sumedhaviraj wrote:I am a Buddhist Studies graduated from Sri Lanka. I have follow my BA degree in English medium. I am working as a teacher since 2007.I want to follow MA in Buddhist Studies and am in need of scholarship. please give me some information. I tried to get to FO Guang University in Taiwan. But now I am in a problem there is no Taiwan Embassy in Sri Lanka.
Hi,

Thanks for your interest in FGU. We definitely have scholarships available if you choose to study an MA or PhD at the Dept of Buddhist Studies at FGU. As for information, please try the Dept website here: http://buddhist.fgu.edu.tw/main.php In particular, "Enrollment Information" (on the far right) and the dropdown header for "International Students".

There are very few formal "embassies" of Taiwan anywhere in the world, this is because mainland China forces countries not to have Taiwanese embassies. However, there may be a TECO (Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office) there, but possibly not. One may have to certify documents and obtain a visa etc. elsewhere. I do know that we have a number of visitors from Sri Lanka, and we presently have some (non Sri Lankan) students who have studied and graduated from Sri Lankan universities like Kelaniya.

Please check out the links above, and see how you go. Those links include contact details for our department: Ms Cherry LIN < [email protected] >.

All the best!

~~ Huifeng
sumedhaviraj

Post by sumedhaviraj »

Hi,
I have already filled an application form to enroll with MA in Buddhist Studies. But I have come across problems. I have no money in the bank to show my financial. And I have never studies Chinese. Please tell me whether I am eligible to apply this or not.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

sumedhaviraj wrote:Hi,
I have already filled an application form to enroll with MA in Buddhist Studies. But I have come across problems. I have no money in the bank to show my financial. And I have never studies Chinese. Please tell me whether I am eligible to apply this or not.
Well, you need to pay the tuition fees. It's only after one has paid and enrolled, that the scholarship can be given out.
If you read the International Students section on the Dept website, you'll see that the MA program in Buddhist Studies taught in English does not have any Chinese language requirements. Of course, being an MA program, one does need at least some kind of undergraduate (BA or whatever) degree.

~~ Huifeng

Return to “Academic Discussion”