Lamotte's Mahayanasamgraha translation

A forum for scholastic discussion/debate.

Lamotte's Mahayanasamgraha translation

Postby Huifeng » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:02 am

Hi all,

Quick question:

Which base text was Lamotte's Mahayanasamgraha translation into French based on?

Was it the Tibetan, or Xuanzang's?

Checking out various sources, there seems to be some discrepancies in the explanations...

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Re: Lamotte's Mahayanasamgraha translation

Postby Huifeng » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks!! :tongue:

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Postby pueraeternus » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi Venerable,

Lamotte's La somme du Grand Véhicule d'Asanga has 2 volumes - the first volume is the Chinese and Tibetan translation, the 2nd volume is the French translation of the Tibetan critical text, together with parts of Vasubhandu's Mahayanasamgrahabhasya and Asvabhava's Mahayanasamgrahopanibandhana.

So the basic text of the French translation is from the Tibetan. I understand there are cross references to the Taisho version.
If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

- The Open-Ended Proof from The Panoplia Prophetica
pueraeternus

Postby Huifeng » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:03 am

pueraeternus wrote:Hi Venerable,

Lamotte's La somme du Grand Véhicule d'Asanga has 2 volumes - the first volume is the Chinese and Tibetan translation, the 2nd volume is the French translation of the Tibetan critical text, together with parts of Vasubhandu's Mahayanasamgrahabhasya and Asvabhava's Mahayanasamgrahopanibandhana.

So the basic text of the French translation is from the Tibetan. I understand there are cross references to the Taisho version.

Voila! :namaste:

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Postby Huifeng » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:07 am

Wouldn't happen to have digital versions (scans, etc.) of either of these would you?
I have Ani Migme Chodron's English of Vol. II already.

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Postby pueraeternus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:52 am

Huifeng wrote:Wouldn't happen to have digital versions (scans, etc.) of either of these would you?
I have Ani Migme Chodron's English of Vol. II already.

~~ Huifeng

Oh - no, unfortunately I don't. I will keep an eye out for it and let you know when I come into possession of it.
If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

- The Open-Ended Proof from The Panoplia Prophetica
pueraeternus

Postby Huifeng » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Thank you, O Eternal Youth!

:namaste:

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Return to Academic Discussion