Translating the Tripitaka

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Translating the Tripitaka

Post by kirtu »

plwk wrote:
Perhaps Honen was the last determined one to do so? It's said he read the Tripitaka 5 times
That reminds me of those vids I watched on Japanese pujas where they have a stack of Sutras printed and bound in the traditional accordion like pages and they will take each book and flip it wide open in the air and then flip back to close it and put it down and continue doing it with the rest. I was thinking if that's how it's read I could finish Sutras in just minutes :lol:
Doris Doerrie filmed that in her movie "Erleuchtung garantiert" (Enlightenment Guaranteed).

Also Ven. Sheng Yen mentions this is one of his books - he's at a Zen place and I think a retreat is ending and everyone is going to read the sutras but it's getting late in the day and Ven Sheng Yen asks if they would have enough time.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Academic Discussion”