Alayavijnana by Schmithausen available

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Leo Rivers

Alayavijnana by Schmithausen available

Post by Leo Rivers »

Schmithausen, Lambert, 1987. Alayavijnana: On the origin and the early development of a central concept of Yogacara philosophy, (Studia philologica Buddhica. Monograph series), International Institute for Buddhist Studies.

available via ScribD http://www.scribd.com/#

at http://www.scribd.com/doc/91762486/Alayavijnana

or Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?khtuop6nr6jtmdr

Out of Print :crying: - 18 MB pdf :crying:

Mario D’Amato , in his review of Hartmut Buescher’s The Inception of Yogacara-Vijnanavada, introduces Lambert Schmithausen’s masterworks Alayavijnana: On the origin and the early development of a central concept of Yogacara philosophy in this way:

“Briefly, Schmithausen’s aim in his Alayavijnana is to identify the first passage in which the concept of alayavijnana was introduced. Schmithausen specifies two criteria for identifying such a passage: that the exegetical situation presented a problem that could not be addressed with the current models of consciousness, making it inevitable that a new form of consciousness had to be introduced; and that it seems plausible that the term alayavijnana would have been chosen for this new form of consciousness. Schmithausen argues that the problem that makes a new concept inevitable centers on the meditative “attainment of cessation” (nirod- hasamapatti) – a state in which intentional mental events are held to cease, making it difficult, in light of various other Buddhist commitments, to explain how a series of such mental events can then resume for a subject emerging from this state. Schmithausen’s thesis is that the “initial passage” introducing the concept of alayavijnana occurs in the Samahita Bhumi of the Basic Section* of the vast Yogacarabhumi, where the new concept is invoked to address precisely such a problem. Buescher’s aim here, then, is to argue that Schmithausen’s presumed “initial passage” is not actually the earliest extant passage in which alayavijnana was presented.”

For those unfamiliar with the text it is the foundation of the classic Yogacara school of Asangha and Vasubandhu and is the text that the famous Chinese Buddhist master Hsuan-tsang traveled all the way to India to obtain for translation and teaching.

Personally I can recommend this book as one of the classics of Yogacara scholarship, particularly because in discussing the various sections of the Yogacara-bhumi, a kind of Buddhist yoga practitioners encyclopedia, he is pointing out that various sections could've reasonably been the work of pre-Mahayana authors as well as authors who were moving gradually in stages into the Mahayana. This is because Yogacara simply means “yoga virtuoso”. And in arguing each section from different perspectives you literally are engaging in a dialogue of those different points of view using the same words. For someone wanting to learn how to think like one of these Mahayana Buddhist yoga virtuosos, this is a clear and very self explanatory way to explore those depths. :soapbox:

* The Yogacara-bhumi is comprised of the “basic section” of the 17 Bhumi, (which includes the sravaka bhumi, the pratiyikabuddha- bhumi), and the bodhisattva-bhumi), and 4 supplemental texts.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Alayavijnana by Schmithausen available

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Many thanks Leo :bow: :bow: :bow:
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Great upload. Thank you sir! This has been unavailable for far too long.
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

Excellent - thanks Leo!
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
Greg

Post by Greg »

I suppose it would be terribly presumptuous to hope that Pt 2 is forthcoming.
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

Pt 2
Pt 2
is a complete mystery to me. The library search that got my my rental didn't show a part two. Amazon and web searches all treat "part one" as a singleton book.

Alayavijnana: On the Origin and the Early Development of a Central Concept of Yogacara Philosophy : Reprint with Addenda and Corrigenda
by Lambert Schmithausen
Book - January 2007

I imagine is would be support materials, but a scholarly edition of transliterated Sanskrit text and footnotes are in the first book.

So I am STUMPED. :rolleye:

Got Book 2 of Sravakabhumi for the worldly though. So Part 2s of these thing exist. I suspect he never published that. That happened with Volume 3 of Conze's Memoirs, the "tell all" book. His estate repressed it. (It wasn't in a final form anyway... but it was a draft! ;) )
ratna

Post by ratna »

Leo Rivers wrote:
Pt 2
Pt 2
is a complete mystery to me. The library search that got my my rental didn't show a part two. Amazon and web searches all treat "part one" as a singleton book.

Pt 2 has all the 1457 endnotes to the main text.
Greg

Post by Greg »

ratna wrote:
Leo Rivers wrote:
Pt 2
Pt 2

Pt 2 has all the 1457 endnotes to the main text.
Yes, it's like this:
Alayavijnana: On the Origin and the Early Development of a Central Concept of Yogacara Philosophy (1987). - Out-of-print. ISBN 4-906267-20-3.
Reprint with Addenda and Corrigenda (2007). 2 volumes. ISBN 978-4-906267-56-9.
Part I: Text. Paper, xi, 241 pages.
Part II: Notes, Bibliograghy and Indexes. Paper, 242-705 pages.
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

Part II: Notes, Bibliograghy and Indexes. Paper, 242-705 pages.
My book has 242 pages. The Title page says "Part one:text"

My guess is part two may have never been issued.

That happens more often than you'd think. :roll: The money runs out. A war happens. Someone here must know - or have actually seen part two. :sage:

https://illiad.uoregon.ed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; only shows the one entry. The book on Vasubandhu's explanation of the Lotus Sutra and the dissertation on the Dasabhumita by CHUN both volumes arrived complete. (Note, when I bought CHUN's dissertation is was bound in one book).
ratna

Post by ratna »

Leo Rivers wrote:My guess is part two may have never been issued.
It exists, I've seen it.

R
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Part 2 exists. I've used it at the Institut d'Etudes Tibétaines in Collège de France, Paris. It is also available at the EFEO Library in Paris. Would be great to have a scan of it too.....
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

Would be great to have a scan of it too.....
:meditate: :spy: :meditate:
simhamuka

Post by simhamuka »

Leo Rivers wrote:
Would be great to have a scan of it too.....
:meditate: :spy: :meditate:
http://depts.washington.edu/asianll/peo ... llett.html Collette Cox used this in her Yogachara class at the University of Washington back in 2007. I had what she gave us as handouts, but I'm not sure it survived my last move. It did have at least some of the end notes, though it was a partial, of course.

I can check.
Sengdongma has an easy job, because there are no enemies.
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

Bibliographic information

Title Ālayavijñāna. Pt. 2. Notes, bibliography and indices
Volume 4 of Studia philologica Buddhica: Monograph series
Volume 2 of Ālayavijñāna: On the Origin and the Early Development of a Central Concept of Yogācāra Philosophy, Lambert Schmithausen
Author Lambert Schmithausen
Publisher International Institute for Buddhist Studies, 1987
Original from the University of Virginia
Digitized Aug 7, 2007
ISBN 4906267203, 9784906267200

http://books.google.com/books/about/Āla ... cKAAAAYAAJ
WuMing

Post by WuMing »

Hi Leo,

thank you very much for this study.
I polished (clearscan - searchable - about 6mb) it a little and made a new file.

Here you find it:
http://tinyurl.com/onore8w

Thanks again!

PS: Hope you don't mind!
Life is great and death has to be just as great as life.
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

THANK YOU.

Searchable, copy and pase for quotes. You have abducted my weekend... at least.
AND only 7 MB. The scans I did were over 100 MB, and clunky.

Again, thanks

It is a deliht to study the YBh and see how many times the comission to benefit being with actions are explained as part of the comittment. :buddha1:
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Fantastic! Thanks a lot ! I hope one day someone will have the time to scan vol.II (fingers crossed...).
Greg

Post by Greg »

mutsuk wrote:Fantastic! Thanks a lot ! I hope one day someone will have the time to scan vol.II (fingers crossed...).
I hope so too . . . but I think the problem is not time or will, it is getting a copy.
ratna

Post by ratna »

mutsuk wrote:Fantastic! Thanks a lot ! I hope one day someone will have the time to scan vol.II (fingers crossed...).
Well here you go: http://www.scribd.com/doc/172066468/Sch ... ana-Vol-II

Return to “Academic Discussion”