You Are Already Enlightened

You Are Already Enlightened

Postby Karma Jinpa » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:21 am

Guo Gu wrote:The Chan tradition does not usually refer to steps or stages. Its central teaching is that we are intrinsically awake; our mind is originally without abiding, fixations, and vexations, and its nature is without divisions and stages. This is the basis of the Chan view of sudden enlightenment. If our mind’s nature were not already free, that would imply we could become enlightened only after we practiced, which is not so. If it’s possible to gain enlightenment, then it’s possible to lose it as well.

Consider a room, which is naturally spacious. However we organize the furniture in the room will not affect its intrinsic spaciousness. We can put up walls to divide the room, but they are temporary. And whether we leave the room clean or cluttered and messy, it won’t affect its natural spaciousness. Mind is also intrinsically spacious. Although we can get caught up in our desires and aversions, our true nature is not affected by those vexations. We are inherently free.

In the Chan tradition, therefore, practice is not about producing enlightenment. You might wonder, “Then what am I doing here, practicing?” Because practice does help clean up the “furniture” in the “room.” By not attaching to your thoughts, you remove the furniture, so to speak. And once your mind is clean, instead of fixating on the chairs, tables, and so on, you see its spaciousness. Then you can let the furniture be or rearrange it any way you want—not for yourself, but for the benefit of others in the room.


Read the full article here:
http://www.thebuddhadharma.com/web-archive/2012/11/8/you-are-already-enlightened.html
"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, it happens that a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་རཱ་ག་ཨ་སྱ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།


:namaste:
User avatar
Karma Jinpa
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: You Are Already Enlightened

Postby disjointed » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:37 am

So,...
this is an example of a message that is lost in translation?

Last time I checked Cha'an was a highly eloquent school that had no trouble clearly laying out it's doctrine.
Obviously that did not carry over into the English because this is an unintelligible mish mash of 1000 distinct definitions being translated into the catch all "enlightenment".
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.
disjointed
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:26 am

Re: You Are Already Enlightened

Postby Karma Jinpa » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:42 am

Guo Gu is also known as professor Jimmy Yu at Florida State University. He has a Ph.D. from Stanford, and grew up in the punk/straight-edge scene in New York.

I know that he's spent a good deal of time in Taiwan, but he is a Chinese-American with an excellent grasp of English. Pretty sure Guo Gu wrote the article in English himself, so what was lost if I may ask?
"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, it happens that a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་རཱ་ག་ཨ་སྱ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།


:namaste:
User avatar
Karma Jinpa
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: You Are Already Enlightened

Postby oushi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:26 am

Guo Gu wrote:The difference between delusion and enlightenment is only a moment away.

This is from the same article. Although, I mostly agree with what is written there, I see inconsistency which clearly shows deficiency in understanding (mine or his).
Say what you think about me here.
User avatar
oushi
 
Posts: 1596
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 am

Re: You Are Already Enlightened

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:49 am

The difference between delusion and enlightenment is only a moment away.


Unfortunately, considering the immense time-spans of temporal existence, 'a moment' might be of considerable duration.

The other point is, this talk is situated in the context of serious commitment. The sentence preceding the one quoted is 'You might ask, “I’ve been practicing for ten years now—exactly when is this going to hap­pen to me?” '

So I think it is a lesson about abandoning expectations, about expecting to get something. Whereas, I think if it taken to mean that I am already enlightened, then it can easily be misconstrued as a kind of short-cut. Whereas, to quote Huang-Po, another ancient Zen luminary:

Even if you understand this, you must make the most strenuous of efforts.


So, I think - excellent article, easily misconstrued. That perhaps is why a teacher is necessary.
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
User avatar
Wayfarer
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 8:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: You Are Already Enlightened

Postby oushi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 am

Expectations are built out of meaning. Wrong meaning will always bring wrong expectations. No meaning liberates expectations.
We can explain it without contradicting ourselves. To say: we are already enlightened... one step away; undoubtedly brings confusion, and I assume that most people will suspect some mysterious meaning that fulfills both requirements, that is revealed to them after 10 years or so.
Say what you think about me here.
User avatar
oushi
 
Posts: 1596
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 am

Re: You Are Already Enlightened

Postby Jikan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:31 pm

disjointed wrote:So,...
this is an example of a message that is lost in translation?

Last time I checked Cha'an was a highly eloquent school that had no trouble clearly laying out it's doctrine.
Obviously that did not carry over into the English because this is an unintelligible mish mash of 1000 distinct definitions being translated into the catch all "enlightenment".


Much of that nuance is contextual--the same term is used in again and again in different contexts, producing different meanings that are difficult to translate. The character "li" for instance, usually translated as "principle," is a good example of this.

http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/philo/iw/reso ... n%20Li.pdf

Meanwhile, this is recommended if you can find it at a library on the relation between original enlightenment and the need for practice:

http://www.amazon.com/Cultivating-Origi ... 0824830768
Jikan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5263
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: You Are Already Enlightened

Postby Gwenn Dana » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

oushi wrote:
Guo Gu wrote:The difference between delusion and enlightenment is only a moment away.

This is from the same article. Although, I mostly agree with what is written there, I see inconsistency which clearly shows deficiency in understanding (mine or his).


Given that only the moment is experienced, it can either be clear or deluded. The next moment may be either. And the next. And the next.

Best wishes
Gwenn
Gwenn Dana
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: You Are Already Enlightened

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:14 pm

Gwenn Dana wrote:Given that only the moment is experienced, it can either be clear or deluded. The next moment may be either. And the next. And the next.

Best wishes
Gwenn
So where does this moment end and the next one begin?
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9784
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: You Are Already Enlightened

Postby Anders » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:51 pm

disjointed wrote: Last time I checked Cha'an was a highly eloquent school that had no trouble clearly laying out it's doctrine.


I would not characterise Chan like that in a million years.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
User avatar
Anders
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: You Are Already Enlightened

Postby Gwenn Dana » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:41 pm

Sherab Dorje wrote:So where does this moment end and the next one begin?


What do you mean with "next"?
Gwenn Dana
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:03 pm


Return to Chan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

>