Buddhist ethics at a national level

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
Wayfarer

Re: Buddhist ethics at a national level

Postby Wayfarer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:57 am

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities; in the expert's mind there are few ~ Suzuki-roshi

Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:21 am

tad etat sarvajñānaṃ karuṇāmūlaṃ bodhicittahetukam upāyaparyavasānam iti |

Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:23 am

Zhen Li

Postby Zhen Li » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:25 am

Buddhist should offer advice to politicians, but not meddle. Buddhists shouldn't be in the business of revolution.

shaunc

Postby shaunc » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:10 am

Astus
Former staff member

Postby Astus » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:58 am

Nations don't exist outside of the imagination of people. Nations don't make decisions, nations don't do anything, only people do. And people simply means many individual humans. Ethical behaviour is possible only for individuals, because they can make choices and have views. If a person identifies with the concept of a nation it is accepting a community as one's own, and that includes the rules of that community. It is subjecting oneself to an ideology, the ideology of nationhood. This ideology can be used by those who are accepted as leaders within the same framework of community. Whether nations "do" this or that depends on each person's thinking. Since many are happy to relinquish the burden of thinking for himself in matters that don't directly concern him, leaders are invested with making decisions for those. But again, leaders are humans just like everyone else, and they make decisions based on their own thinking.

Buddhism exists also on the ideological level. And just as people can believe in nationhood, they can also do that with Buddhism. Of course, it has to be simple and easy, because unless one has strong interest in something, they don't care to ponder about abstract doctrines. That killing and stealing is bad is generally self-evident for everyone. The trick is that people can always come up with exceptions, or don't think of something as actually murder or theft. There is also a huge lack of general understanding about how emotions could be correctly managed. And it is this area, handling emotions, where Buddhism can provide useful and practical methods. But first it is important to establish the idea that emotions can actually be managed.

Jumping to unclear concepts of metaphysical entities like nations makes one lose sight of the daily reality. As I said, nations don't actually do anything, therefore they can't have any ethics either. Only living people can act in ethical and unethical ways.
Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Postby Kim O'Hara » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:15 pm

MaitriYNOD

Postby MaitriYNOD » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:45 pm

I am a lustful, angry dullard with no power of realization. Do not put anything I say into practice without first confirming it with a qualified teacher.

Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:59 am

bleak

Postby bleak » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:33 am

Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:53 am

bleak

Postby bleak » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:07 am

You're not getting what I'm saying. Let me use a specific example. 9/11. In your opinion, what happened on 9/11? Who is responsible for 9/11? Let me know that so there is some kind of base to use.

Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:26 am

bleak

Postby bleak » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:45 am

LOL. Yeah, that's just what I expected. OK, just tell me a couple of things then to set the record straight. Why did Building Seven fall? Where is the wreckage from flights 77 (DC) and 93 (Shanksville)? Show me THOSE pics, smart guy.

kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:44 pm

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:57 pm

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Jigme Tsultrim

Postby Jigme Tsultrim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:34 am

Scientists have confirmed that there are genetically passed memories. Even an aversion to a particular smell can be conditioned and passed through the genes in 2 generations. The nation state is a creature of tribalism and little more. It is a way of our extended family to compete with your extended family over resources. Without regard the various changes brought about over the millenia, the basis remains the same:us versus them. This is hard coded into our genetics.
A look at the presidency of Jimmy Carter supports the OP. Here, a highly ethical man made an at best ineffective president.
I once ask a Lama about how he deals with bad people regarding relations with the outside world. The answer? "We have our bad people talk to their bad people".
The idea that nations can be ruled by the precepts is absurd and dangerous. It attempts to deny the purpose of the state:us and them. There are worse people in the world lusting after the resources of your nation. Personally, I want a guy guarding the borders who will USE his gun, that leaves a zone for me to practice in relative safety.
If the USA had been ruled by the precepts in the 1940's, the world would be far worse off IMO. Of course times are a changin', really? Just wait for the resource wars that are surely coming.
There may be a time when the precepts will guide the world, but none of us will be around that long. For now, letting the Dharma help us rule ourselves is a big enough task for most all of us.

oushi

Postby oushi » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:21 am

After WW III , ethics will be redundant for few centuries, as natural compassion will be sufficient for those few survivors. Nowadays, those who want to bring morality at a national level, are simply assassinated.
Say what you think about me

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:13 pm

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Free of hope and fear, relax.
Human life spent in
a state of great spaciousness is enjoyable.

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:44 pm

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Free of hope and fear, relax.
Human life spent in
a state of great spaciousness is enjoyable.

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

Return to “Ethical Conduct”