What Vinaya rules are broken here?

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
Sherab

What Vinaya rules are broken here?

Post by Sherab »

http://time.com/3090990/how-an-extremis ... ross-asia/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not familiar with the vinaya. What rules, if any, are being broken by the monks in the above article?
Mkoll

Re: What Vinaya rules are broken here?

Post by Mkoll »

Those people are breaking the rules of human decency, let alone the Vinaya. But since you asked...
The Pātimokkha, translated by K.R. Norman, page 47 wrote:The rule about lying

1. In [uttering] a conscious lie there is an offence entailing expiation.

The rule about abusive speech

2. In abusive speech there is an offence entailing expiation.
The question is whether what the monks have said is lying and/or abusive speech. You can be the judge of that based on what the article says...
OP's article wrote:Both he and Gnanasara make virtually identical xenophobic claims about Muslims converting Buddhist women and luring them into unholy polygamous unions, and using their corrupt business acumen to swindle hard-working Buddhists. “[Muslims] are breeding so fast, and they are stealing our women, raping them,” Wirathu told TIME’s Hannah Beech last year. “They would like to occupy our country, but I won’t let them. We must keep Myanmar Buddhist.” (In fact, neither Burma nor Sri Lanka has seen a Muslim population explosion).

BBS speeches are very similar. Halal certification is apparently funding al-Qaeda and Hamas; Islamic blood sacrifices are summoning forth “ghosts and demons;” Muslim perverts are using burqas as disguises to carry out licentious deeds; and, most bizarrely, the Quran requires Muslims to spit three times into any food or beverage served to a person of another faith.
I'm sure there are other rules being broken here but these are two of the most obvious to me.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Return to “Ethical Conduct”