On Right Livelihood

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
Nodobotoke108

On Right Livelihood

Post by Nodobotoke108 »

I'm a newbe here. This is my first post. Now that I'm living in the mountains (60 miles west of Sacramento, CA), it's not as easy for me to meet with students of the Dharma as it was when I lived in Tempe, AZ, so I've joined some Buddhist forums for online activity.

In Tempe I was a pharmacy technician working for a major Pharmacy Benefit Management company (name withheld). Even though it didn't have the best of reputation for quality of service to the patient, myself and co-workers were often able to correct errors generated by the system. We felt good when we were able to improve things for patients across America depending upon this company to deliver their maintenance meds.

Then the company got all "6sigma" and "Lean." Quantity replaced quality. All the internal controls we had created to reduce errors were tossed out for being "not value added."
My motivation to work there evaporated. It was difficult to feel I was doing good for the patients. It became a Right Livelihood issue for me.

Of course I wasn't engaged in illegal activities. After the company get into legal hot water, it did reinstate some controls to meet state regulations. But as for quality for the patients, our head manager told us the company didn't have a budget for issues of "Patient Abrasion" at the present time.

I'm single, so I didn't have the consideration that I was at least doing good for my family by keeping that job. I felt that Right Livelihood also entails being able to believe in what you are doing, and that you are doing no harm.

So I quit a couple of weeks ago. I had been unable to find another job to go to, so I took up a friend's request that I help her with her 86 year old father who had a stroke and can't be left at home alone to his own misadventures.

This is better. It's truly value added for me.

But I'm a bit isolated now, living in the woods. It's lovely for meditation, but I miss the group I attended back in Tempe.

Perhaps I'll find some online fellowship.
madhusudan

Re: On Right Livelihood

Post by madhusudan »

Congratulations on the positive life change. I bet it took some courage. You've created better conditions for your practice to flourish. Now, with right effort, I'd expect for your meditation to thrive.
Nodobotoke108

Post by Nodobotoke108 »

madhusudan wrote:Congratulations on the positive life change. I bet it took some courage. You've created better conditions for your practice to flourish. Now, with right effort, I'd expect for your meditation to thrive.
Thank you, Madhusudan!
I've already lengthened my morning meditation time and added Tai-Chi.
I also found an excellent sitting stump in the woods next to the house.
I had a wonderful session just listening to the wind in the trees.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Welcome to the board.

If you keep your ear to the rail, you'll soon meet some Dharma people in and around Grass Valley/Nevada City. Even as far as Reno, where there are (or were?) a group of students of the late Chagdud Tulku. You're in a beautiful part of the world up there.
denny

Post by denny »

West of Sac.? Would that be near Clear Lake (coast range) or further south? Pretty rural there, for sure.

Even over here in the north end of the Great Valley, Buddhism is very lean.

Return to “Ethical Conduct”