can buddhist smoke anerican spirit organic ciggeretes

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
lorem

Re: can buddhist smoke anerican spirit organic ciggeretes

Post by lorem »

phpBB [video]
I should be meditating.
lorem

Post by lorem »

Agriculture
The Central Valley is one of the world's most productive agricultural regions. More than 230 crops are grown there. On less than 1 percent of the total farmland in the United States, the Central Valley produces 8 percent of the nation's agricultural output by value: 17 billion USD in 2002. Its agricultural productivity relies on irrigation from both surface water diversions and groundwater pumping from wells. About one-sixth of the irrigated land in the U.S. is in the Central Valley.
I should be meditating.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

stop smoking those cancer sticks
Pringle

Post by Pringle »

Whats people opinions of e-ciggerettes? It's still nicotine, which is still a drug, however, as far as current studies show (which albiet are only new and new evidence in future may well come to light) that they don't cause the damage that smoking does. Is it the smokeing it's self what people are against, due to the health problems, or is it the smopking and nicotine aspect of it due to the attachment and craving one gets, which lets be honest is certainly going to be some kind of hindrance to practice, even if its only small or hiden hindrance

Also, on the question of wether to class smokinjg as an intoxicant, surely if this is seen as an intoxicant then drinking coffee should also be on the list? the effects of nicotine (and I purly mean the nocotine not the whole smoking side) actually has very similer effects to coffe, i.e a mild stimulant and both create addiction. And following from that, when should one start calling something an intoxicant as well? just food for thought really
lorem

Post by lorem »

Pringle wrote:Whats people opinions of e-ciggerettes? It's still nicotine, which is still a drug, however, as far as current studies show (which albiet are only new and new evidence in future may well come to light) that they don't cause the damage that smoking does. Is it the smokeing it's self what people are against, due to the health problems, or is it the smopking and nicotine aspect of it due to the attachment and craving one gets, which lets be honest is certainly going to be some kind of hindrance to practice, even if its only small or hiden hindrance

Also, on the question of wether to class smokinjg as an intoxicant, surely if this is seen as an intoxicant then drinking coffee should also be on the list? the effects of nicotine (and I purly mean the nocotine not the whole smoking side) actually has very similer effects to coffe, i.e a mild stimulant and both create addiction. And following from that, when should one start calling something an intoxicant as well? just food for thought really
EDIT VAPOR NOT SMOKE

Well better than smoking but still addictive. My coworkers were smoking at work and you can modify them so you can take a dragon hit and then blow vapor for days. So actually when you do that I think you are actually getting more addicted.

But yeah I mean just not good.

Off the subject but all those natural disasters in Japan I thought were related to the nagas being mad about whale and dolphin hunting. Sounds crazy....

Just should not harm ourselves or others so yeah coffee is not the best thing for us either. More food for thought.
I should be meditating.
Redfaery

Post by Redfaery »

lorem wrote:Off the subject but all those natural disasters in Japan I thought were related to the nagas being mad about whale and dolphin hunting. Sounds crazy....
Just like Katrina was punishment for Louisiana's tolerance of homosexuality.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
lorem

Post by lorem »

Redfaery wrote:
lorem wrote:Off the subject but all those natural disasters in Japan I thought were related to the nagas being mad about whale and dolphin hunting. Sounds crazy....
Just like Katrina was punishment for Louisiana's tolerance of homosexuality.
Or because Japan sits along the ring of fire. That is why I put the sounds crazy part. don't have that power to see into phenomena and their relationship.

I have no idea how nagas feel about homosexuality. But I do think America hopefully is turning more positive. Of course this I guess would be a relative view [not ultimate].
I should be meditating.
Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian »

Warning. opinion incoming.

To the OP: Smoking is bad for your health. In effect, as a smoker, you are abusing your body and shortening your life, to say nothing of the effects on people around you. When someone smokes, anyone near is also affected whether they like it or not. You have imposed your habit on them and basically stated that your right to breathe harmful chemicals overrides other peoples expectation of breathing clean air. This is a selfish act..

Asking whether smoking is acceptable from a Buddhist perspective is nothing more than an attempt to justify a course of behaviour that you already know to be bad for you. Any position on smoking is irrelevant when placed side by side with "Smoking is bad for your health and will shorten your life".

End of opinion.

/you may now resume your normal activities.
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Redfaery

Post by Redfaery »

lorem wrote:Or because Japan sits along the ring of fire. That is why I put the sounds crazy part. don't have that power to see into phenomena and their relationship.

I have no idea how nagas feel about homosexuality. But I do think America hopefully is turning more positive. Of course this I guess would be a relative view [not ultimate].
Japan is indeed a volcanic archipelago in the ring of fire. Lousiana was also dredged out of the Gulf of Mexico. You may wonder if nagas are to blame for typhoons, earthquakes, and tsunamis. Fundamentalists like to say their God punished New Orleans for homosexuality and abortion.

Besides, why would there be nagas in Japan? The Japanese have their own serpent spirits associated with water. They're not nagas!
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!

Return to “Ethical Conduct”