5 precepts. Alcohol?

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
Malcolm

Re: 5 precepts. Alcohol?

Post by Malcolm »

boda wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
boda wrote:
It is not the anesthetic quality that is valued in Vajrayāna, but rather the conviviality that accompanies its consumption in small quantities.
Conviviality :tongue: I had to look that up. Suffice to say that Vajrayāna values chemical dependencies over training?
Suffice to say that Vajrayāna recommends a middle way between abstinence and overindulgence.
boda

Post by boda »

Effectively to this case I believe the middle way here is between training more or less diligently. No crime or sin, though perhaps a broken vow or promise, if such a vow were taken.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

boda wrote:Effectively to this case I believe the middle way here is between training more or less diligently. No crime or sin, though perhaps a broken vow or promise, if such a vow were taken.
That vow, like all vows, exist for those who need them. Not all practitioners do.
boda

Post by boda »

Not all practitioners are willing or able to.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

boda wrote:Not all practitioners are willing or able to.
Why take a vow you don't need? For example, I dont kill anything, so of what use is the vow of refraining from taking life ffor me?
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Malcolm wrote:
Why take a vow you don't need? For example, I dont kill anything, so of what use is the vow of refraining from taking life ffor me?
The way my Gelug teacher explained it to me is that simply abstaining from one of the negative actions is a non-action It is a zero. Whereas taking the vow and upholding it is meritorious and a cause for liberation. Arhats aren't just people that behave themselves.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

smcj wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
The way my Gelug teacher explained it to me is that simply abstaining from one of the negative actions is a non-action It is a zero. Whereas taking the vow and upholding it is meritorious and a cause for liberation. Arhats aren't just people that behave themselves.
Right, i think that explanation is very limited in its understanding.
boda

Post by boda »

Malcolm wrote:
Circumstances may rise in the future where killing becomes an issue. In that case making a social promise could help to refrain. Assuming that the killing in this situation were serving selfish reasons and not to save a village or whatever.

Social promises can be powerful. Willpower can be weak.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

boda wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Circumstances may rise in the future where killing becomes an issue. In that case making a social promise could help to refrain. Assuming that the killing in this situation were serving selfish reasons and not to save a village or whatever.

This is a lower yana approach, appropriate for some, not for all.
boda

Post by boda »

Malcolm wrote:
boda wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

It doesn't have anything to do with Buddhism particularly. We are a social species and have limited willpower.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

boda wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
boda wrote:

It doesn't have anything to do with Buddhism particularly. We are a social species and have limited willpower.
You go ahead and limit yourself all you want.
boda

Post by boda »

Malcolm wrote:You go ahead and limit yourself all you want.
Just out of curiosity, are you suggesting that you don't limit yourself?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

boda wrote:
Malcolm wrote:You go ahead and limit yourself all you want.
Just out of curiosity, are you suggesting that you don't limit yourself?
I try to discover what my limitations are. But I don't make that determination before hand.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: I try to discover what my limitations are. But I don't make that determination before hand.
Speaking as someone that had to sober up 17 years ago, the problem with that strategy is that the first few drinks completely destroy your ability to gauge yourself. For instance, the number of people that would contest the validity of their drunk driving tickets dropped precipitously when the dashcams came into being. They really thought they weren't that drunk until they saw the video later from a sober perspective.
i am still mindfull...on my 10th phucking drink....
I don't know how mindful you are right now, but you're still posting!
i will probably be banned for just being honest......HA HA HA HA !!!!
I haven't seen a ToS rule saying you can't post drunk...yet.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

smcj wrote:
Malcolm wrote: I try to discover what my limitations are. But I don't make that determination before hand.
Speaking as someone that had to sober up 17 years ago, the problem with that strategy is that the first few drinks completely destroy your ability to gauge yourself. For instance, the number of people that would contest the validity of their drunk driving tickets dropped precipitously when the dashcams came into being. They really thought they weren't that drunk until they saw the video later from a sober perspective.
And thus, you discovered your limitation.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:
smcj wrote:
My employers, credit cards, and landlord brought it to my attention. I thought I was doing ok until then.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

smcj wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
smcj wrote: Speaking as someone that had to sober up 17 years ago, the problem with that strategy is that the first few drinks completely destroy your ability to gauge yourself. For instance, the number of people that would contest the validity of their drunk driving tickets dropped precipitously when the dashcams came into being. They really thought they weren't that drunk until they saw the video later from a sober perspective.
My employers, credit cards, and landlord brought it to my attention. I thought I was doing ok until then.
It just shows at that point in your life you were lacking integration.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:
smcj wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
It just shows at that point in your life you were lacking integration.
I think that would be safe to say.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Malcolm wrote:
boda wrote:There's no "Buddhist paradigm" where alcohol doesn't negatively effect our nervous and endocrine systems.
Yes, there is. It's called Vajrayāna.
There are several Vajrayana teachers who wouldn't agree to a claim like this.
boda

Post by boda »

Malcolm wrote:
smcj wrote:
And had he determined the limit before hand all of that might have been avoided.

Return to “Ethical Conduct”