Signpost me please - just read Waking Up by Sam Harris, also a Vipassana meditator

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
KatieStar7

Signpost me please - just read Waking Up by Sam Harris, also a Vipassana meditator

Post by KatieStar7 »

Hello

I have just read Sam Harris's 'Waking Up' and made notes on chapter 4 which talks about Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, Dzogchen, pointing out instructions and cutting through the illusion of the self. I feel I have been pointed in a new direction and would like to know more. I understand that Sam isn’t everybody favourite person on this forum, but I was directed here by people on Sam’s forum.

I was involved with various Buddhist centres when I was younger (primarily the former FWBO and also NKT). I have spent some (short) time in Thai meditation centres and then I found ten-day silent vipassana (Goenkja) retreats and have been doing these once a year for the last ten years, along with other reading and exploration - such as Amazonian plant medicines, movement medicine etc. I really like Pema Chodren too.

I thought perhaps I would start with one of Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche’s books - do you have any recommendations? Or on any more recent books by other authors?
Also I am based in London and so would be interested to hear of anything happening here.

Many thanks in advance.

Katie
Vasana

Re: Signpost me please - just read Waking Up by Sam Harris, also a Vipassana meditator

Post by Vasana »

Try the book 'Rainbow Painting" by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche. There are many Dharma centers in London to help continue your exploration. There's Samye Dzong in Bermondsey connected with the Mahamudra lineages (close relative to Dzogchen).

There's another center called Lekdanling which is affiliated with Dzogchen master Chogyal Namkhai Norbu. Elio Guarisco has been giving talks/teachings on mndfulness and prescence here this weekend and will alsk be teaching tommorow (Sunday 26th).

James Low is another Dzogchen teacher worth looking in to. There are lots of videos and recordings on his website, simplybeing.
KatieStar7 wrote:
I thought perhaps I would start with one of Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche’s books - do you have any recommendations? Or on any more recent books by other authors?
Also I am based in London and so would be interested to hear of anything happening here.

Many thanks in advance.

Katie
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
KatieStar7

Re: Signpost me please - just read Waking Up by Sam Harris, also a Vipassana meditator

Post by KatieStar7 »

Thank you. :reading:

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”