How do I contact someone regarding the Malware on this site

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
yorkieman

How do I contact someone regarding the Malware on this site

Post by yorkieman »

Hi,

I joined the site only a couple of days ago. Since then I have been getting Malware warnings on Google Chrome when using the messageboard (i.e. the site has known malware links on it). I tried to report these, but was really surprised that the thread I posted just got deleted and I got a warning message telling me off for posting Malware.

I thought I would leave it for 24 hours and check again and lo-and-behold Google Chrome is still reporting Malware on this messageboard.

One of the threads that is being reported as dangerous is:

"From little things big things grow"

Anyone using the most up-to-date version of Chrome should get a Malware warning as soon as they enter that thread.

Malware messages are also being displayed when searching for certain phrase. I won't type them here for fear of triggering another warning from this messageboard's admin who deleted my last message.

I am keen to get going using the forum, but am puzzled and concerned as to why you seem to be not taking malware warnings seriously. I was warned not to proceed by my browser, but people using different, or old browsers, may not get the warnings and may end up getting infected.

If someone can let me know who to contact regarding this I'll be happy to send them over all the information. I was going to try Admin, but after the rather unBuddhist message I received yesterday I figured I'd rely on the goodwill of the messageboard members.

Hope you can help.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: How do I contact someone regarding the Malware on this s

Post by Ayu »

PM Tara or Jikan. :smile: And relax.
emaho

Post by emaho »

My browsers and virus scanners are up to date and I do not receive malware warnings on this site, also not when I read the topic "From little things big things grow".

There is however another possibility, and that is the malware might be on your computer. There are kinds of adware/viruses/malware of whatever type that manage to manipulate the data you receive from the internet after they have been sent from the webserver and before they are displayed on your browser. I've had such a thing once, I've forgot its name but that wouldn't matter anyway. The effect was that certain words on the webpages I browsed were highlighted and when I moved my cursor over them some popups that were trying to lure me onto some very dubious websites appeared. Since this first appeared on another forum my first thought, too, was that the forum's software or webserver were bugged, but it soon turned out that the problem was on my own computer.

Long story short, if nobody else seems to have that problem you should check your own computer for malware, viruses, adware etc.

Wish you well :smile:

R'n'R
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
emaho

Post by emaho »

P.S.

I just read your previous post and it appears that the warning you received from your browser already identifies the name and source of the malware. Google the name and get that bug off your computer.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Thank you for letting us know about the malware. I will be speaking to the admin to see what can be done. :smile:

Gassho,
Seishin
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

yorkieman wrote:
... Since then I have been getting Malware warnings on Google Chrome when using the messageboard ...
Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention.

The link to the "known malware distributor" in the From little things big things grow topic has been dealt with and both myself and Seishin have now been able to successfully access the topic using Google Chrome without any malware warning.

Apologies for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Return to “Suggestion Box”