New rule: quote & comment?

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
SeekerNo1000003

New rule: quote & comment?

Post by SeekerNo1000003 »

How about: When quoting other people's work please provide your own comment about the quote?
Perhaps in some cases (e.g., when starting a new thread)? Freestanding quotes may leave viewers guessing about the purpose of the post.
DGA
Former staff member

Re: New rule: quote & comment?

Post by DGA »

SeekerNo1000003 wrote:How about: When quoting other people's work please provide your own comment about the quote?
Perhaps in some cases (e.g., when starting a new thread)? Freestanding quotes may leave viewers guessing about the purpose of the post.
This is an excellent idea. I think it's generally regarded as good practice in online discourse, but I think some of us (myself included sometimes!) didn't get the memo.

I don't know if it would be suitable as a rule per se, but perhaps as a point of courtesy to others--something we can work into the "Right Speech" section.

Thanks for bringing this up.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

[quote=SeekerNo1000003 post_id=258959 time=1414540889 user_id=4470]
How about: When quoting other people's work please provide your own comment about the quote?
[/quote]

Just want to check if the quotes are working for me?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:28 am
SeekerNo1000003 wrote: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:01 am How about: When quoting other people's work please provide your own comment about the quote?
This is strange.
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Please go to:

User Control Panel (UCP) (click user ID top right to see drop down menu)
Board preferences tab
Edit posting defaults - 2nd in menu
Enable BBCode by default
check 'yes'
submit

The quote function should work if these these instructions are followed. :smile:
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

purple rose wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:02 pm
Please go to:

Board preferences tab
Enable BBCode by default
check 'yes'
submit

The quote function should work if these these instructions are followed. :smile:
Let’s see
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:00 pm
purple rose wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:02 pm
Please go to:

Board preferences tab
Enable BBCode by default
check 'yes'
submit

Let’s see
Ok. Thank you so much Purple Rose!
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

This idea doesn't work for me. If I want to comment on a quote from someone else, it seems natural, logical and courteous to supply the context for the comment (the quote) before supplying the comment. When I've seen it the other way around - comment, then quote - I've ended up reading the comment, reading the quote, then having to re-read the comment now the particular context is clear. Just seems a strange way to procede.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

SeekerNo1000003 wrote: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:01 am How about: When quoting other people's work please provide your own comment about the quote?
Absolutely.
The other Wheel has this in its TOS (and I thought this Wheel did, too, but I didn't find it when I looked):
4. Mindfulness

... Since you are not here alone, new topics should invite discussion via questions, suggestions, an introduction, or provide appropriate context.
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2

:namaste:
Kim
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:30 am
Absolutely.
The other Wheel has this in its TOS (and I thought this Wheel did, too, but I didn't find it when I looked):
It was. I recall as a Mod many times asking people to actually post something which gave a context and meaning to their OP meme/pic/quote etc.
ToS get modified and I think this should be reintroduced, for sure. :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Sort of depends on the area of the forum, but generally this is already an unwritten rule, basically...this is not a Facebook wall.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:49 pm Sort of depends on the area of the forum, but generally this is already an unwritten rule, basically...this is not a Facebook wall.
Unwritten rules are less consistently followed and enforced than the other kind.
Perhaps it could be rewritten?

Kim
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Kim O'Hara wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:41 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:49 pm Sort of depends on the area of the forum, but generally this is already an unwritten rule, basically...this is not a Facebook wall.
Unwritten rules are less consistently followed and enforced than the other kind.
Perhaps it could be rewritten?

Kim
We'll have to discuss it as a team, personally I am all for it.

-Khunu Lama
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I don’t think it should be a rule.

Also, there are certain users who basically all of their posts are just that.
Remember phantom?
Or just look at the bon section.
I see value in a lot of those posts.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:37 am I don’t think it should be a rule.
In the other forum it's a guideline rather than a rule. It still gives users good advice if they ever look at the rules (most don't, of course) and, more importantly, gives mods something to point at and say, "please do this."
Remember phantom?
Some threads are basically a string of news items (I've been responsible for some of those) so comments can be minimal or non-existent and there isn't usually much discussion. That's fine, IMO, and it wouldn't be constrained by the guideline although it would be problematic if the guideline became a rule.
But as you say, some users start a lot of new topics with no context, no discussion-starter, and that can be a waste of other members' time and bandwidth.

:coffee:
Kim
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Worth mentioning: When posts like this become problematic, they are covered by the “no trolling” rule. If anyone sees ‘drive by’ posts like this of no value, report them.

-Khunu Lama
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:37 am I don’t think it should be a rule.

Remember phantom?
I think the Bon forum is a case in point. A stream of posts with minimal discussion, if any at all.
Posting dozens of seemingly random pics. vids, etc. with lazy wording like 'in addition' again and again is blog style, not forum style.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Remember phantom?
I think the Bon forum is a case in point. A stream of posts with minimal discussion, if any at all.
Posting dozens of seemingly random pics. vids, etc. with lazy wording like 'in addition' again and again is blog style, not forum style.
Yup! I wanted to point that out too. It could be a rather interesting source of information, if there were some sources cited, however ... this is a forum.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Remember phantom?
Very difficult to comment on traditions whose provenance seem largely the result of the imagination. But perhaps that’s just me... 8-)
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:22 am
In the other forum it's a guideline rather than a rule. It still gives users good advice if they ever look at the rules (most don't, of course) and, more importantly, gives mods something to point at and say, "please do this."
Remember phantom?
Some threads are basically a string of news items (I've been responsible for some of those) so comments can be minimal or non-existent and there isn't usually much discussion. That's fine, IMO, and it wouldn't be constrained by the guideline although it would be problematic if the guideline became a rule.
But as you say, some users start a lot of new topics with no context, no discussion-starter, and that can be a waste of other members' time and bandwidth.

:coffee:
Kim
You hold “discussion” in higher esteem than I do I suspect. For me THE most valuable service the forum provides is in pointing to teachers or teachings.
I set less store by the opinions of folk about teachings..particularly mine..seriously.
People are doing it or about to do it, or they are not doing it and not about to.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

Return to “Suggestion Box”