Chat issues

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Hickory Mountain

Chat issues

Post by Hickory Mountain »

I'm not 100% sure if this is a problem with the site or just a weird coincidence of the way we use it, but I figured I would take a shot.
Most of the time if I log into the chat app, it comes up with no other users in it. Occasionally, I'll pull it up and find that another user has logged out (timeout) 2-3 seconds after I've logged in. Usually the gaps in login times are on the order of hours, but when I pulled it up tonight, it was only 15 minutes, so I'm not sure if it is an error or what.
If someone wants to test this, I will stay on the chat for the next 36 minutes minimum (6:30 CST) and try to stick around for more than an hour (7 CST)

Thanks
Namo Amitabha
Dan74
Former staff member

Re: Chat issues

Post by Dan74 »

Yes, I've seen this too. So either everyone else is trying to avoid us, Hickory Mountain, or there is some strange issue with the Chat room. I suspect the logout message just pops up late or something, but I'm no techie.

Maybe we can schedule some chat times?
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Chat issues

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Dan74 wrote:Yes, I've seen this too. So either everyone else is trying to avoid us, Hickory Mountain, or there is some strange issue with the Chat room. I suspect the logout message just pops up late or something, but I'm no techie.
I don't use the Chat room but I logged in there just out of curiosity and looked at the 9 lines of log text:
chat log.png
chat log.png (28.02 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
Notice how the times are paired? Someone logs in and then within 2 or 3 seconds someone else is logged out, often with "(timeout)" against the event?
I think the log-in wakes up the chatbot, then it checks who else is still around and says, "nope - he's gone".
:shrug:
I tried a couple of times with the same result.
When you click "logout" over on the right, you get a log-in screen but if you just close the chat window, you don't and I think that's when chatbot dozes off and has to check again when woken up by a new log-in.
Play with it and see if you agree.

:coffee:
Kim
(Did you like my oh-so-technical language? :tongue: )

Return to “Suggestion Box”