Change Tibetan Buddhism

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Astus
Former staff member

Re: Change Tibetan Buddhism

Post by Astus »

Originally it was Vajrayana forum, but it was changed because on one hand Tibetan Buddhism includes its own Mahayana interpretations. On the other hand, Shingon is different in many aspects from Tibetan Vajrayana (for instance it's heavily influenced by Huayan teachings). Also, Vajrayana in Bhutan and Mongolia are derivatives of Tibetan traditions and they still have close connections.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Thank you vey much! :bow:
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

lobster wrote:Tibet Autonomous Region Buddhism or Chinese Buddhism or Vajrayana?
Political agenda and other baggage Buddhism?

I think most people wish to practice vajrayana, a rich heritage not owned or practiced in one region only. :shrug:
I understand wanting to come up with a different name for it, because Tibetan Buddhism sounds culturally bound. It doesn't even include the other Himalayan countries that practice it. I'm not a Tibeto-phile, I'm a Dharma practitioner.

However, sadly, there isn't another term that includes the scope of our lineages, so it won't work to change it (back).
lobster

Post by lobster »

:smile: It seems we can practice with or without a name. Tantric Buddhism is another term that may be descriptive, with sub headings for particular schools . . . :smile:
jikai

Post by jikai »

another potential problem would be defining which category a school such as Tendai would fall under. Tendai practices both the exoteric and esoteric so where perhaps would it fall?

Gassho
Jikai
"止觀明靜前代未聞"
(摩訶止觀)

"此妙法蓮花經者本地甚深之奧藏也"
( 法華玄義)

"觀心者空觀是般若假觀是解脫中觀是法身"
(法華文句)
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Sönam wrote:
mutsuk wrote:
Sönam wrote:What about Tantric Buddhism (Tantrayana)?

Sönam
"Vajrayana Buddhism" or "Tantric Buddhism" does not change anything, this is exactly the same thing. If TIbetan Buddhism is changed into anything "Tantric/Vajra" Whatever" then you'll have to put Dzogchen out of that, as well as Sutra Mahamudra, all the Geluk-related mahayana teachings/subject, all the Jonang stuff that is non-tantric, etc. This will simply makes things more complex if one is to look for, say, Kagyu stuff in the "Tantric/Vajra Whatever" and somewhere else for all subjects in Kagyu (etc.) which are not tantric. There is already the subforum "Buddhist Tantra Talk". Why change ?

The answer is that these proposals for changes from people who do not post interesting things at all in Tibetan Buddhism are coming right in time when the sole interesting guy (with a welcome big mouth and knowledge) has already left that forum. More non-pertinent changes like the one proposed will simply add to the weakening of the forum itself. But I'm sure there are clear agendas behind that. That's too easy...
I agree concerning Vajra and Tantra and so on ... it was just an answer to the existence of a tantric school in Japan (and therefore non Tibetan).

But I once more agree (whouaaah) with you concerning Malcom's departure and the "coup de peinture" that would not change the luminosity of the forum ... but I also have some ideas that it is not the end of our forum-exchanges with that sole interesting guy.

Sönam
I don't see a problem with "Tibetan Buddhism" because most people have not heard of "Vajrayana" but people generally have heard of "Tibetan Buddhism".

I have to agree with Sonam, there were two "interesting guys" here on this board that "left", both Malcolm and Dechen. Malcolm is a kind of "blessing" and "curse" at the same time, but I appreciate his candidness and also his intellect. Dechen was very "energetic" and "enthusiastic" about Dharma.

Someone could start a thread to ask them both back, if they are so inclined, perhaps stating the reasons why they could participate once in a while would be a good idea, then send a link to their email boxes, seems that "problems" are not totally unsolvable, unless of course "peeps" want them to be unsolvable.

:namaste:
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Thanks for the suggestion. The forum name "Tibetan Buddhism" is not going to be changed.

Return to “Suggestion Box”