A Dharma Story

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
Quiet Heart

A Dharma Story

Post by Quiet Heart »

:smile:
Once there was a monk who lived his life in a temple from his days as a young boy.
Although he was a very devout and gentle person, he was but a simple man and without any formal education.
He listened to the other monks and learned teachers, but he could not understand their educated words and terms about the Dharma.
Instead he took it as his duty to keep the area around the many Buddha images and shrines swept and clean for those that came to to worship before them.
Also he would work and tend the nearby flower garden in the temple.
When all these areas were clean and cared for he would sit quietly in one corner of that temple garden area, and quietly meditate on Buddha.
As he sat there meditating, small birds would fly up to him and bring him petals they had gthered from nearby plants, dropping them at his feet.
When his neditation was finidhed, it was his custom to gather up these flower petals, string them together into a flower garland, and later place them on the Buddha statues.
Then one day, while meditating, he had his momeny of realization .... and he became enlightened.
Although he was still a simple and uneducated man, his relization was true, and he spoke simply and quietly to many people who came to listen to him. Many people were helped on their path to understanding by his simple words, and he became well respected and honored.
But, afrer that very day of his realization, small birds no longer brought him flower petals from the garden for his floral garlands.

Do you understand the story?
Shame on you Shakyamuni for setting the precedent of leaving home.
Did you think it was not there--
in your wife's lovely face
in your baby's laughter?
Did you think you had to go elsewhere (simply) to find it?
from - Judyth Collin
The Layman's Lament
From What Book, 1998, p. 52
Edited by Gary Gach
Quiet Heart

Re: A Dharma Story (part 2?)

Post by Quiet Heart »

A reply?
(see above story)
There was a Zen master who often gave instructions to his students.
One day, having finished a lecture, he asked if they had understood his lesson.
Only one student dared to answer his question,
"I think I understood your lesson", he said, "but I have another perhaps unrelated question. May I ask you my question?"
"Of course", the master answered, "Ask any question you would like".
"Well then, asked the student, "this is my question.
"Even as you said the Dharma may be understood may all persons"
"But if a man is deaf, and can not hear those words;
or if a man is blind, and can not read those words;
or, even further a person is both death and blind, and furthermore his or her mind may be simple, and they can not understand that
Dharma .... how then can the Dharma help such a person?"
"Well," said the Master, "When I was young in Northern China the winters were very cold."
"My family was nothing but poor farmers and we could not afford to heat or hut in Winter."
"So our family would put what little wood or coal we had into our fireplace for the night, and light a hot fire."
"Then we would all huddle under whatever warm blankets we could find and try to stay warm through the long cold night."
"Often I would wake up early in the morning, before the first light of dawn."
"How warm ir was there, huddled together under those heavy blankets, before the birds had yet begin to sing with the break of dawn, and the coming of a new day!"

Shame on you Shakyamuni for setting the precedent of leaving home.
Did you think it was not there--
in your wife's lovely face
in your baby's laughter?
Did you think you had to go elsewhere (simply) to find it?
from - Judyth Collin
The Layman's Lament
From What Book, 1998, p. 52
Edited by Gary Gach
buddhaflower

Re: A Dharma Story

Post by buddhaflower »

Dear Quiet Heart,

I really like your stories...simple and cute!

Buddhaflower :heart:

Return to “Dharma Stories”