the practice of loving-kindness

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
Luke

the practice of loving-kindness

Post by Luke »

Here is a great story about truly practicing loving-kindness which comes from a dharma talk by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche.
http://mingyur.org/teachings/lovingkindness1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One day this monk was meditating by a stupa made of stone to the east of the Kahthok Monastery, just like Rinpoche is demonstrating [laughter] with his shawl over his head.

He was meditating on loving-kindness and compassion.

[Rinpoche speaks in Tibetan and makes gestures and moves his eyes around eliciting laughter from the assembly.]

And he was moving his eyes around, just like Rinpoche was demonstrating, back and forth. He wasn't looking at any particular thing but just letting his eyes kind of flutter about.

Patrül Rinpoche always dressed very humbly and made himself out to be an ordinary person. So when Patrül Rinpoche arrived on the scene, it was very hard to tell that he was a lama or anything like that.

He came to the stupa and began circumambulating it.

The monk continued meditating in the same way and Patrül Rinpoche approached the monk in a very respectful manner with his hands folded and said, "Oh, venerable one, what are you meditating on?"

The monk didn't recognize Patrül Rinpoche as being a lama.

He said, "I'm meditating on loving-kindness and compassion."

Patrül Rinpoche folded his hands and said, "Oh, how wonderful," and continued on his circumambulation.

When he came around for another lap around the stupa, he stopped and bowed down with his folded hands and said, "Venerable one, what are you doing?"

"I'm meditating on loving-kindness and compassion."

"Oh, how wonderful!" and Patrül Rinpoche kept circumambulating.

He came around for his third lap and stopped again and said, "Oh, venerable one, what are you doing?"

[Rinpoche speaks gruffly in Tibetan with exaggerated gestures eliciting great laughter.]

The monk replied, "Why are you bothering me? You've asked me for the third time now, I'm meditating on loving-kindness and compassion!" When the monk got angry in this way it made him open his eyes wide and look clearly, and he suddenly recognized Patrül Rinpoche's face.

Patrül Rinpoche said to him, "Is that what your loving-kindness and compassion is like?"

The monk was very embarrassed and apologized to Patrül Rinpoche, and later on his loving-kindness and compassion became genuine.
muni

Re: the practice of loving-kindness

Post by muni »

Ah! The idea of kindness and compassion in the fog of afflictions. Thank you very much. :anjali:
Luke

Post by Luke »

Your welcome, Muni. Please pet your bunny for me. :hug:
muni

Post by muni »

I caressed him. A simple interaction by loving kindness; an energy of joy! Thank you! :P
avisitor

Post by avisitor »

This story of loving kindness is a little more straight forward and direct.
Still good to touch the heart.

Return to “Dharma Stories”