What Makes A Real Man?

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
Aemilius

What Makes A Real Man?

Post by Aemilius »

In his highly readable style Venerable S. Dhammika discusses here such things as whether Buddha's manly organ is beautiful or not ?
http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2010/06/w ... l-man.html
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Annapurna

Re: What Makes A Real Man?

Post by Annapurna »

Forgive me if I am missing something, but why would the Buddha's male organs interest me? Or any person's that I am not intimate with?
Why would the Buddhas potency interest me, after he became a monk, and when I know he had a son before that?

Like I said, perhaps I am missing the Tantra aspects, but as far as I know, the Buddha didn't practice tantra after enlightenment, so where does this strange interest for his organs come from?

What's this good for? Is it conducive to my progress?

It would appear a similar nonsense to me if the sexual organs of Buddhist females were the center of debate, and a speculation about their functionality.

Since impotence was insinuated as a reason for the Buddha's celibacy, perhaps we can also speculate some about the role of his wife in his withdrawal from a (sexual) worldly life?

Really weird, but who knows, perhaps I'm missing something.
Last edited by Annapurna on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My website: http://schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Luke

Post by Luke »

Being enlightened should be "manly" enough. Shakyamuni's mind was both beautiful and perfectly enlightened. These are the most important things. Although scholars have certainly researched almost everything at one time or another.
plwk

Post by plwk »

This reminded me of this Sutta...and in relation to the topic...
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Once the Blessed One was staying at Kosambi in the simsapa forest. Then, picking up a few simsapa leaves with his hand, he asked the monks, "What do you think, monks: Which are more numerous, the few simsapa leaves in my hand or those overhead in the simsapa forest?"

"The leaves in the hand of the Blessed One are few in number, lord. Those overhead in the simsapa forest are more numerous."

"In the same way, monks, those things that I have known with direct knowledge but have not taught are far more numerous [than what I have taught].
And why haven't I taught them?
Because they are not connected with the goal, do not relate to the rudiments of the holy life, and do not lead to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding. That is why I have not taught them."
:tongue:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

:good:
My website: http://schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Actually that post by Ven. Dhammika is a really interesting recension of John Powers' book "A Bull of a Man". Go and read it! :anjali:
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Return to “Dharma Stories”