Inspirational Westerner Practitioners

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
MrDistracted

Inspirational Westerner Practitioners

Post by MrDistracted »

Hi

The Khyentse Foundation's latest communique has an obituary of Gerard Godet, a western practitioner who showed signs of realisation at the time of his death, remaining in thugdam for a week:

http://khyentsefoundation.com/2011/10/p ... part-xiii/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And recently I heard about David Petit (husband of Lama Tsultrim Allione), who died last year and Tulku Sangngag was keen that his realisation was publicised as an inspiration for others, saying he was certain David had acheived liberation in the bardo of Dharmata:

http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=4883 ... 58098f3c7b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was wondering if there are any more stories like this, of western practitioners who have actually shown signs of realisation at the time of death.
Of course, there are going to be many realised practitioners who don't show signs, and realisation is not just showing 'signs', but I find stories like this so inspiring as my habit of needing evidence seems hard to break at times...and this proves (to me) that it really can be done :smile:

(Mods....I hope this is the right forum for this, please move if necessary)
Aemilius

Re: Inspirational Westerner Practitioners

Post by Aemilius »

Yes there are, but these kind of stories are a somewhat difficult matter.
One female practitioner died some ten years ago, and there appeared a bright circular rainbow in a clear blue sky. I had told this incident to her sister, who was slightly sceptical, and then on the day before the cremation of the deceased, in her home town a circular rainbow appeared again on a clear blue sky on a bright sunny day. Time of the year was midAugust and early September.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Aemilius wrote: One female practitioner died some ten years ago, and there appeared a bright circular rainbow in a clear blue sky. I had told this incident to her sister, who was slightly sceptical, and then on the day before the cremation of the deceased, in her home town a circular rainbow appeared again on a clear blue sky on a bright sunny day. Time of the year was midAugust and early September.
Yes but you saw it. Even if you hadn't seen it then it still would have been a good thing.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Paul

Post by Paul »

It's a shame this is not a longer thread by now..

I have met many wonderful practitioners - one that really sticks in my mind the most is Lodru Palmo: http://weblogs.hollanddoc.nl/dislocated/2009/05/02/116/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have had the fortune of meeting her a few times and she is a wonderful example of what can be accomplished via the Tibetan Buddhist teachings. She is very, very inspirational.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

There are many more, this one is living in Hungary, he is called Lama Choephel, he has done at least 500 Nyungne, the fasting practice of 1000 Arms Avalokiteshvara, (probably more, I dont know the exact number), three times Sadhu ! for him.
http://dragononadrum.com/photo_gallerie ... ephel.html
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Paul

Post by Paul »

Very near the top of the list for most inspirational and dedicated western practitioners ever is Erik Pema Kunsang. He met Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche on the top of a brick-lorry and the rest is history...

http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Erik_Pema_Kunsang" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

The Western Lamas at Dhagpo Kagyu Ling are worth knowing, every single one of them. On this picture there is for example Lama Shedrup, who realized that Lama Gendun is his Guru and Teacher the first time he saw him. Before that he had wandered round India as a Sadhu for thirteen years.
http://www.dhagpo-kagyu.org/anglais/gks ... entaux.htm

The ones that are called Drublas have, after the Three Year Retreat, done another retreat, a four year retreat aiming at a Drub or Siddhi. Thus they are called Drublas, ie Siddhas.
svaha
MrDistracted

Hermit Yeshe Dorje

Post by MrDistracted »

I seem to remember Yeshe Dorje ( I hope I have his name right, he is a student of Chatral Rinpoche's) posting on esangha once or twice from his retreat cabin.
I suppose those posts are now lost (?)
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

There is a woman, and I forgot her name, but it is Karma something, who is a student of Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche. She did a 12-year retreat. There are a few interviews with her online but since I forgot her name I can't find them. Anyone?
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Another good western practitioner is our very own homegrown Namdrol.
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

Clarence wrote:There is a woman, and I forgot her name, but it is Karma something, who is a student of Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche. She did a 12-year retreat. There are a few interviews with her online but since I forgot her name I can't find them. Anyone?
You're probably thinking of Ani Wangmo. Here's part of an interview with her, from my own blog.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Yes, that's it. Thank you. I always enjoy your blog. Any updates coming?
Gyalpo

Post by Gyalpo »

I have to mention John Reynolds, Vajranatha. He is amazing for me!

http://vajranatha.com/
AlexanderS

Post by AlexanderS »

Ole Nydahl and Hannah nydahl also deserves a mention.
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

What about the Westerner that obtained rainbow body?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

alwayson wrote:What about the Westerner that obtained rainbow body?
The man mentioned by Khunu Rinpoche? No one knows anything about him.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

alwayson

Post by alwayson »

Probably the same guy (or Buddha I should say :bow: ) mentioned by several lamas, including Sogyal Rinpoche.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

alwayson wrote:Probably the same guy (or Buddha I should say :bow: ) mentioned by several lamas, including Sogyal Rinpoche.
Really? What do they say about him?

Khunu Rinpoche mentioned (in a book about himself, I never met Khunu Rinpoche personally) that no one knew anything about this Westerner, not where he was from or even his native language. Additionally no one knew when he even came to the shedra or practice place theree were at. He was at the shedra or practice place when Khunu Rinpoche was and was apparently already there when Khunu Rinpoche arrived. This was sometime in the 1930's and I think it was in Nepal. One day they went looking for the Westerner and all they found were his clothes and rainbow light sphericles that poured out of this clothes when they were picked up. The sphericles apparently dissolved after a short time.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

The late Chagdud Rinpoche also has a lama who is authorized to teach Dzogchen. He is also an incarnation of one of Guru Rinpoche's 25 disciples.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Clarence wrote:The late Chagdud Rinpoche also has a lama who is authorized to teach Dzogchen. He is also an incarnation of one of Guru Rinpoche's 25 disciples.
A terton??

Return to “Dharma Stories”