How do you experience ego?

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

How do you experience ego?

Postby M.G. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:07 am

Enlightenment is about overcoming or transcending or dissolving the ego. Or so I'm told.
How do you experience ego? Alternately, what do you understand it to be?

Ego, to the extent I experience anything other than blindness to it, feels like tension or restriction to me. How about you?
M.G.

Re: How do you experience ego?

Postby lobster » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:31 am

Everything experienced is ego or one might say the ego experiencing. :smile:
In context, I would suggest that experience not dependent or independent of ego, however paradoxical, is enlightenment. :woohoo:
lobster

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:32 am

M.G. wrote:Enlightenment is about overcoming or transcending or dissolving the ego. Or so I'm told.
How do you experience ego? Alternately, what do you understand it to be?

Ego, to the extent I experience anything other than blindness to it, feels like tension or restriction to me. How about you?

To me it usually seems as if the term "ego" is used in a Buddhist context to mean false self-identification with the skandhas.

So generally, a huge part of our daily life is and comes from a place of "ego", it is the default setting for us.

It gets used in a kind of generic way by self-help people too, usually when they lack the vocabulary to accurately model what they are talking about;), or that's how it seems to me and my ego.
"We're chained to the world and we all gotta pull" -Tom Waits
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby rachmiel » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:40 am

I'm with JD: "I" arises via skandhas.

Skandhas are present pretty much all the time, ego comes and goes. Exactly what happens to cause a skandha to "yield" an I feeling ... rather than the skandha just arising and dissipating without yielding I ... that's a mystery to me.
neti neti
rachmiel

Postby M.G. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:32 am

lobster wrote:Everything experienced is ego or one might say the ego experiencing. :smile:
In context, I would suggest that experience not dependent or independent of ego, however paradoxical, is enlightenment. :woohoo:

Interesting formulation. So how do you know when experience is neither dependent not independent of ego?
M.G.

Postby dakini_boi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:34 am

a claustrophobic sense that I exist.
dakini_boi

Postby maybay » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:45 am

My cat won't sit on my lap when I'm on the couch reading a book.
Additional effort has no effect.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
maybay

Postby Martin007 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:41 pm

M.G. wrote: How do you experience ego?

Mostly when I'm caught up in craving and aversion, liking/disliking, wanting/not wanting.
They are a real nuisance... :tongue:
Martin007

Postby M.G. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:58 pm

I think we have many egos, honestly, just like we have many personal preferences and traits. To the extent I'm not blind to them, they seem like weights within my psyche whose movement creates emotional pain.
M.G.

Postby lobster » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:33 pm

M.G. wrote:So how do you know when experience is neither dependent not independent of ego?

[paradox mode engaged]
You know because you can not know, attribute or indeed find an arising source. You do not know because knowing is an arising, a quality or process of being.

So nothing, so simple, so near, so obvious, so inexpressible. You know because it is impossible to be independent of ego and yet . . . :woohoo:

You ask. I tell you. It makes no sense. :yinyang:
lobster

Return to Personal Experience