Nightmares, Sleep Paralysis, False Awakenings

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Nightmares, Sleep Paralysis, False Awakenings

Postby Jesse » Wed May 14, 2014 7:11 pm

This is something that happened a couple weeks ago, and still bothers me occasionally. Not sure why I'm posting about it honestly.

What happened was essentially this:

I kept having a repeating nightmare, where a presence would show up at my bed, and I would become aware of it, simultaneously I am filled with absolute dread, fear and panic. It would sort of hover over me, like a large fog. The terror I feel is almost unbearable.

After a while, I would sort of break out of the fear, and try to look at the creature, as soon as I do this, the dream starts over. I have a false Awakening and sort of forget what just happened, then the entire experience will repeat itself.

This happened for a good 3-4 hours straight, I would say it happened maybe 20-30 times(False awakenings.) Eventually I remember thinking "This is my dream, I can do what-ever I want, and I slowly gained awareness to the point where I was fully aware I was dreaming, and once that happened I confronted the entity.

I remember it being feminine. I 'forced' it off of me, and it would simply come back, it's attitude was extremely hostile. I remember thinking for a split second. "It's actually kind of pretty.", in that moment it's faced turned black and it screamed "Yeah Right", then it said, "You want me to f*ck you? Ill f*ck you!, and it instantly landed on top of me and began having sex with me (Which was nuts because it actually felt real.", and was rather terrifying.

At this point the creature was gone, and I got to enjoy maybe 5 minutes of a lucid dream. The first thing I did was fly up into the sky, I noticed their was no moon in the night sky, and tried to 'Will' a moon into existence (Didn't work.), after that I fell down to the ground and woke up. (interesting thing about the lucid dream, is that textures are bit sloppy, dirt was large and grainy looking, rather than fine and realistic.)

I was too scared to sleep for probably a week after this happened, I've finally been able to sleep well again the past week, but before that I was awake for damn nearly a week.

So maybe it's kind of stupid to think this was anything more than a dream, but I'd like to hear some opinions..?
"We know nothing at all. All our knowledge is but the knowledge of schoolchildren. The real nature of things we shall never know." - Albert Einstein
Jesse

Re: Nightmares, Sleep Paralysis, False Awakenings

Postby oushi » Wed May 14, 2014 9:44 pm

:shock:
First thing that came to my mind was Succubus.
Say what you think about me here.
oushi

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed May 14, 2014 9:55 pm

Were you doing any intense practice leading up to this incident?

I recommend you do a Riwo Sang Chod, for starters.

Have you received a Dharmapala practice?
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Jesse » Wed May 14, 2014 10:44 pm

Sherab Dorje wrote:Were you doing any intense practice leading up to this incident?

No I wasn't. Ironically this experience has been a sort of catalyst for me resuming my practice. The whole thing scared me pretty badly. I am still terrified of the creature.

I have begun meditating again, and trying to rid myself of many of my bad habits. (Perhaps I saw similarities in this thing in myself..? certainty anger.

I know it's a stupid question, but could this have been an actual demon? It did seem intelligent, but since it was a dream -- obviously I should be wary of thinking such things.

Not sure what that is, and No I haven't.

Oh, I have begun burning incense in my room night and day. -- I'm not normally a big believer in this kind of thing, but I've felt compelled to protect myself haha. :emb:
"We know nothing at all. All our knowledge is but the knowledge of schoolchildren. The real nature of things we shall never know." - Albert Einstein
Jesse

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed May 14, 2014 11:01 pm

Jesse wrote:Not sure what that is...
It is this:
Oh, I have begun burning incense in my room night and day.
:twothumbsup: Smoke offering for appeasement of obstacle causing entities (well, all entities actually, but you can direct it to the specific entity).
... and No I haven't.
Hmmmmm... Well, you can do Guru Rinpoche mantras for protection too. Guru Rinpoche is always willing to help out.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby LastLegend » Wed May 14, 2014 11:28 pm

Are you still smoking something? :lol: If you do, then that, stress, and too much negative thinking. Perhaps uncontrollable thinking.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Caz » Wed May 14, 2014 11:39 pm

Sounds like a Harmful spirit, Remeber as a Buddhist ones refuge vows and recitation of refuge are our basic protection against such things.
If you want something to ward this of I recommend getting an Image of Arya Tara and practising her 21 versus of praise things will soon improve. :namaste:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Caz

Postby Jesse » Wed May 14, 2014 11:56 pm

LastLegend wrote:Are you still smoking something? :lol: If you do, then that, stress, and too much negative thinking. Perhaps uncontrollable thinking.

No I don't smoke or do any psychedelic drugs.

Thanks for all the input guys. Though I believe the problem has been taken care of for me. Its been a couple weeks and no more repeats.

Before that I realized this had been taking place almost nightly. I just always forgot the next morning.

All I can say is good riddance.....
Jesse

Postby asunthatneversets » Thu May 15, 2014 12:15 am

Jesse wrote:I know it's a stupid question, but could this have been an actual demon? It did seem intelligent, but since it was a dream -- obviously I should be wary of thinking such things.

This phenomena is common with sleep paralysis and is referred to as "old hag syndrome" by some (though it is hardly a syndrome). I don't think there is such thing as 'demons' per se, but there are indeed entities of various types. The interesting thing with this female entity (that is associated with sleep paralysis) is that encounters with her have been reported for centuries across almost every culture.

In modern times it has been theorized that her appearance is simply the mind accounting for the sensation of tightness in the chest which comes with sleep paralysis. According to this theory, the mind in its hypnagogic state is able to project appearances quite easily, and so this entity is allegedly the result of the mind compensating for a lack of visual stimuli to accompany the tactile sensation in the chest. However the issue that skeptics raise with this theory is the fact that everyone sees the same female entity with the same grotesque features, and if she is merely a fabrication then why would she appear the same to everyone?

Either way though your account is spot on when it comes to the usual themes which are reported. The sheer terror is very common, many say that it begins with an uneasy feeling and escalates from there. It's often said that there is another larger, dark presence which accompanies the old woman which remains uninvolved and merely observes. There are old paintings which depict the hag sitting on someone's chest while a black horse watches in the background.

The only preventative measures I have read about (if you are prone to sleep paralysis episodes) are to avoid sleeping on your back. For some reason sleeping on your back can trigger this phenomena. The other preventative measure is for during the actual event. Since you are paralyzed apart from breathing and the ability to move your eyes, the other alleged method to break the paralysis is to consciously change your breathing pattern. Apparently your body has a go-to pattern of breathing while asleep which it defaults to automatically, this rhythm of breathing while asleep is supposedly constant and the body does not deviate from it. The theory behind this method states that sleep paralysis entails a subtle mind-body duality where the body is in the mode of being asleep, while the mind is awake. Usually the body knows to break its sleep paralysis when the mind wakes up, but in the case of the event you are experiencing there is a miscommunication and the body remains in sleep-mode. Since the mind is awake in sleep paralysis and you retain conscious control of breathing, if you change your pattern of breathing this will signal the body that the mind is awake and will break the paralysis. So perhaps give that a shot.
asunthatneversets

Postby TaTa » Thu May 15, 2014 2:24 am

Maybe this approach will help. I also recommend cheking out his work, he is a great lucid dreaming teacher with the blessing of lama yeshe

Nice story by the way =)
TaTa

Postby Minjeay » Thu May 15, 2014 7:11 am

lol, funny thing.

Did you feel exhausted after having had sex with that being or did you feel like always?
(Answer will only be relevant if you have a connection to/awareness of your body and feel your energy level.)
Minjeay

Postby Jesse » Thu May 15, 2014 3:35 pm

Minjeay wrote:lol, funny thing.

Did you feel exhausted after having had sex with that being or did you feel like always?
(Answer will only be relevant if you have a connection to/awareness of your body and feel your energy level.)

Not that I remember, but I was exhausted from not sleeping. Whenever these happen it feels as if Im getting no sleep at all.

TaTa wrote:Maybe this approach will help. I also recommend cheking out his work, he is a great lucid dreaming teacher with the blessing of lama yeshe

Nice story by the way =)

Interesting video, and I do remember thinking at one point if the creature had been an aspect of myself, though for other reasons I doubt it. and if it is.. that part is broken.. broken beyond anyone's ability to fix. It's pure fn evil.

The only preventative measures I have read about (if you are prone to sleep paralysis episodes) are to avoid sleeping on your back. For some reason sleeping on your back can trigger this phenomena. The other preventative measure is for during the actual event. Since you are paralyzed apart from breathing and the ability to move your eyes, the other alleged method to break the paralysis is to consciously change your breathing pattern. Apparently your body has a go-to pattern of breathing while asleep which it defaults to automatically, this rhythm of breathing while asleep is supposedly constant and the body does not deviate from it. The theory behind this method states that sleep paralysis entails a subtle mind-body duality where the body is in the mode of being asleep, while the mind is awake. Usually the body knows to break its sleep paralysis when the mind wakes up, but in the case of the event you are experiencing there is a miscommunication and the body remains in sleep-mode. Since the mind is awake in sleep paralysis and you retain conscious control of breathing, if you change your pattern of breathing this will signal the body that the mind is awake and will break the paralysis. So perhaps give that a shot.

It doesn't seem to matter How I sleep, I usually sleep on my side. It's rather unlike sleep paralysis, but similar. I may try the breathing though. (If I can become lucid in my dream, I can resist it -- and am aware when the 'dream' restarts and am no longer tricked by it. )
Jesse

Postby Minjeay » Thu May 15, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi again Jesse,

Jesse wrote:Not that I remember, but I was exhausted from not sleeping. Whenever these happen it feels as if Im getting no sleep at all.

oki, was just asking because, if it would be a Succubus and you should ejaculate or have an orgasm, he/she/it might use that opportunity to suck your energy. But if that would happen, you would notice that.

Maybe you have trouble with someone who sent that being to you, or you harmed someone or something without noticing it - think of opportunities were that might have happened, then you could clean your connection to that being or person.

Generally it should help, if you have a Guru or Yidam, to call them for help, or to generate yourself as this Guru or Yidam, if you're able to. Keeping your mala (if you have one) near the place were you're sleeping and, if necessary, reciting mantras should also be helpful.

edit: If you shouldn't be able to practice any of those on your own, or find it not to be effective, you might look for someone who's capable of performing an energetical clearing on you and/or the place you're sleeping at.
And if it was just that one visit and nothing similar happens, it would still be better to be somewhat prepared should you encounter a similar being another time.

Good luck :)
Minjeay

Postby Arjan Dirkse » Thu May 15, 2014 11:06 pm

It does sound very much like sleep paralysis. The threatening figure in sleep paralysis isn't alway "the old hag", alien abduction stories for instance are also associated with sleep paralysis.

It seems certain cultural themes pop up in interpretation of sleep paralysis, for instance the old hag is similar to the "witch archetype". The wikipedia article has a great explanation of what happens in sleep paralysis, and gives a plethora of examples of how the experience is interpreted in different cultures.
Arjan Dirkse

Postby LastLegend » Thu May 15, 2014 11:50 pm

I am used to mine. One time I drove it away by contemplating on emptiness. It disappeared.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Jesse » Fri May 16, 2014 12:48 am

The only reason I don't believe it was sleep paralysis, is because once the dream turned into a lucid dream, the creature did not just vanish, I was fully aware, and so was the creature, it spoke to me, and me to it. I felt bad for it, and that just made it furious. It could no longer force me into false awakenings and I think that's why it ended up leaving.

I wish for no-one to ever encounter anything similar, they are beyond terrifying. (whether real, or a part of our psyches / imaginations ), absolutely terrifying.

:namaste:
Jesse

Postby asunthatneversets » Fri May 16, 2014 1:06 am

Also could be a succubus (or succubi) as someone mentioned above. Apparently the succubus is a female entity that sexually assaults men in their dreams.
asunthatneversets

Postby LastLegend » Fri May 16, 2014 3:05 am

I experience that "my" demon very often.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby xabir » Sun May 18, 2014 3:42 pm

Jesse wrote:This is something that happened a couple weeks ago, and still bothers me occasionally. Not sure why I'm posting about it honestly.

What happened was essentially this:

I kept having a repeating nightmare, where a presence would show up at my bed, and I would become aware of it, simultaneously I am filled with absolute dread, fear and panic. It would sort of hover over me, like a large fog. The terror I feel is almost unbearable.

After a while, I would sort of break out of the fear, and try to look at the creature, as soon as I do this, the dream starts over. I have a false Awakening and sort of forget what just happened, then the entire experience will repeat itself.

This happened for a good 3-4 hours straight, I would say it happened maybe 20-30 times(False awakenings.) Eventually I remember thinking "This is my dream, I can do what-ever I want, and I slowly gained awareness to the point where I was fully aware I was dreaming, and once that happened I confronted the entity.

I remember it being feminine. I 'forced' it off of me, and it would simply come back, it's attitude was extremely hostile. I remember thinking for a split second. "It's actually kind of pretty.", in that moment it's faced turned black and it screamed "Yeah Right", then it said, "You want me to f*ck you? Ill f*ck you!, and it instantly landed on top of me and began having sex with me (Which was nuts because it actually felt real.", and was rather terrifying.

At this point the creature was gone, and I got to enjoy maybe 5 minutes of a lucid dream. The first thing I did was fly up into the sky, I noticed their was no moon in the night sky, and tried to 'Will' a moon into existence (Didn't work.), after that I fell down to the ground and woke up. (interesting thing about the lucid dream, is that textures are bit sloppy, dirt was large and grainy looking, rather than fine and realistic.)

I was too scared to sleep for probably a week after this happened, I've finally been able to sleep well again the past week, but before that I was awake for damn nearly a week.

So maybe it's kind of stupid to think this was anything more than a dream, but I'd like to hear some opinions..?
Sleep paralysis like yours happen to most people at some point in life, though yours sounds a bit more longer than usual (wow - 30 times restart?) I think asunthatneversets's post is interesting and useful.

I've been able to overcome this fear/dread/etc in sleep paralysis for the past two times it happened. So yeah, practice definitely helps! It may take time and insights and integration, but eventually, even sleep paralysis can become a liberating experience. I'm glad this has been a motivating factor for you to resume practice.

I wrote last year:

http://dharmaconnectiongroup.blogspot.c ... -more.html

I've had many episodes in the past where I was in conscious lucid dreams, and then the lucid dreams disappeared into pure non-dual Presence, pure knowingness, and it was profoundly blissful. Very very blissful. Samadhi like.

Last night, it was like that again, except the dreams never disappeared - I was walking to my dream toilet in profound bliss and awareness was totally transparent and non-dual - the entire dream toilet surroundings was experienced without subject/object dichotomy, there is no sense of a center or circumference left, only vivid transparency. And it was intensely blissful...

The difference between this and previous experiences is that in previous instances, there was a dissolution into formless pure presence, while this time it is like non-dual clear light is experienced within dreams instead of dissolution of dream.

Just a sharing. I'm not a good practitioner, this sort of thing doesn't occur on a daily basis. I'm sure many are more experienced than I am...

...There was another more recent experience but involving sleep paralysis... you know sometimes in sleep paralysis you may feel a bit frightened and creeped out... or there may be a sense that there are other beings around (called 'the intruder' according to wiki on sleep paralysis). I felt that 'intruder' thing again but this time there was no fear and I gave rise to the intention to pervade the whole room with its apparent beings with the bright luminosity of mind/awareness. And because I was conscious and kept releasing, there was no fear and instead sleep paralysis turned into bliss and luminosity like the previous experiences, awareness was again experienced as vivid transparency, centerless and borderless, no observer/observed duality just vivid transparency appearing as what appeared to be my dark room surroundings.

Then suddenly a weird white flash of light came, very strong and simultaneously there was this almost frightening BOOM! like a nuclear bomb exploded... very very loud sound. Though shocking there was not really fear in it but a thought arose right then "what the hell happened"... but later on I woke up... I found out later its not an uncommon thing, think its called "Exploding head syndrome". Happens in astral travel and sleep paralysis. Incidentally astral travel and sleep paralysis are linked (have experienced OBE in sleep paralysis).

But the main thing is that throughout the whole thing there was no fear and it was blissful... because sleep, or rather sleep paralysis, became clear light.

So from my experience... waking, deep sleep, dream, sleep paralysis can dawn as clear light.
xabir

Postby LionelTeo » Wed May 21, 2014 3:58 pm

The idea of doing a chant for protection may seems great, but only if you had been doing it on constant practice, if you are a novice and had not done it before. best is to consult someone who is experience in dealing with entity, if there is a presence of a real entity, doing so may trigger the entity rage; resulting it being more violent and trying to put up a fight with you, and if you have not been on constant chanting, you may not be able to use it on emergency situation. Even if it is safe to perform the chant as a general protection, it would still be best that you would always have a reliable contact in such situation that could help you in the case of extreme emergency.

Otherwise, dreams are what the result of what the mind faces while awake. Yours could be a result of not able to confront a fear or a person, could be at your workplace, or part of your lifestyle. Sex would means your craving or your lonely, seeking a possible companionship.

If the entity is no longer around, then starting protection chanting would ease your mind if you want and preparing yourself if it comes back again. Or constantly keeping your meditation will keep your mind clear and lessening such dreams.
We are born with compassion, it is just that we had lost it.
Understand no matter what happens, you already had shelter and food, these are enough for you to find happiness.
LionelTeo

Next

Return to Personal Experience