It's story time

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

It's story time

Postby catmoon » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:45 am

I live on the fourth floor of a 12 floor building. Some of my windows look out over the parking lot.

One night, as I was tapping away on the computer I noticed a very odd smell in the room. I looked at the cat. She looked back with those big, innocent blue eyes. I figured "Well, Lily has been thinking outside the box again", and I got up to search the apartment for her little gift. But I didn't find it. Next day the smell was gone.

A couple of days later it happened again. I confronted the cat again but she just washed a paw. Then the smell got stronger. Within half an hour the whole apartment stunk to high heaven. It was awful, and it wasn't the cat at all, it was skunk weed, in all its nauseating glory. (I'm so old I remember when pot smelled really nice. Those were the days.)

A pattern developed, where every night at around 1 am my apartment was flooded with eau de doobie. I checked the halls, and it wasn't coming from there. Some nights it was so bad my eyes burned and got all red and itchy, something that almost never happens to me. I was starting to become quite discontent. Sometimes I would go out on the balcony and try to see which window the smoke was coming from. But the midnight toker was elusive.

I started getting angry and pondered raising the issue with the strata council. They have a definite anti-drug policy and thought geez maybe someone has a pot grow operating or something. Night after night the stench rolled in, sometimes strong enough that I could taste it. I made up my mind. Something had to be done. I rehearsed the lines I would use at the next council meeting.

Tonight the ghastly emanation rolled in early, around 10 pm. I went straight to the balcony and looked for clouds of smoke from the windows nearby. Nothing. A plastic bag blew across the parking lot on the tainted breeze.

Hang on a minute. That bag is moving funny. My eyes aren't very good at distance but I could swear it was waddling. I squinted and the world came into soft focus. Soft, but sharp enough to clearly distinguish jet black fur, a luxurious tail and a white stripe from stem to stern.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: It's story time

Postby Dan74 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:17 pm

So... skunks smell like weed?? What do you know - is there a similar effect too? I googled skunk-sniffing and found out that there is a kind of weed called 'skunk' cultivated in Southern Sweden (at a place called Skåne, fittingly). Now it all comes together...sort of...!
Dan74
Global Moderator

Re: It's story time

Postby catmoon » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:49 pm

Dan74 wrote:So... skunks smell like weed?? What do you know - is there a similar effect too? I googled skunk-sniffing and found out that there is a kind of weed called 'skunk' cultivated in Southern Sweden (at a place called Skåne, fittingly). Now it all comes together...sort of...!

There is almost no difference between the smell of skunk weed and an actual skunk. There are many varieties of pot and most have a delicate, incense-like scent. The reason people smoke skunk is simply that it is the strongest variety.

But the story isn't about skunks and pot: it's about the growth of delusion and strange mindsets that result from it.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Return to Personal Experience