Strange Dream

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Strange Dream

Postby Jesse » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:33 am

So I remember part of a dream I had, I found this part a bit weird and was trying to see if this is some sort of real practice.

In the dream we had wax statues (Small ones.), not sure what the statues were of, but we were allowed to use ritual daggers/knives with corks stuck to the 'stabbing' end of the knife, (just thought that was a funny thing to remember.) the daggers were used to slice the wax statues in half down the middle. in the dream I was wearing monk robes. So just curious.

I did some google searches but found nothing relevant, anyone know of such a practice?
"We know nothing at all. All our knowledge is but the knowledge of schoolchildren. The real nature of things we shall never know." - Albert Einstein
Jesse

Re: Strange Dream

Postby Ayu » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:43 pm

I would look after these dream-symbols in a dream-dictionary. There must be some online.
Symbols in here are:
Statue, knife, wax, cutting, monk robe. And the colours can give a hint also.

This can give an inspiration to construe the dream. If it feels right, it's right,. :smile:
Metta, Karuna, Mudita, Upekha
*** om vajra krodha hayagrīva hulu hulu hūm phat**
Ayu
Global Moderator

Postby Jesse » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Ayu wrote:I would look after these dream-symbols in a dream-dictionary. There must be some online.
Symbols in here are:
Statue, knife, wax, cutting, monk robe. And the colours can give a hint also.

This can give an inspiration to construe the dream. If it feels right, it's right,. :smile:

Ahh thank you. I tried looking them up and really it could mean anything interpreting things that way. I was really just wanting to know if there was a ritual / practice related to cutting of wax statues. I think it was just a wacky dream after-all.

:)
"We know nothing at all. All our knowledge is but the knowledge of schoolchildren. The real nature of things we shall never know." - Albert Einstein
Jesse

Postby Ayu » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:20 pm

There is rather a practice about little statues: to form 100 000 of them out of gesso (plaster). This is to burn bad karma and collecting merrits.
I have got one Bhaisajraguru from somebody who created 100 000:

image.jpg
On the right. Medicine Buddha is only 7 cm high.
image.jpg (170.31 KiB) Viewed 474 times
Metta, Karuna, Mudita, Upekha
*** om vajra krodha hayagrīva hulu hulu hūm phat**
Ayu
Global Moderator

Postby Jesse » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:40 pm

Very cool!
Jesse

Postby avisitor » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:28 pm

I am a simple person so I usually go for the simple answers.
To me the dreams seems to represent a deep desire to open oneself up to the dharma life.
I could be wrong??
avisitor

Postby Jesse » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:26 pm

avisitor wrote:I am a simple person so I usually go for the simple answers.
To me the dreams seems to represent a deep desire to open oneself up to the dharma life.
I could be wrong??

Might be right, but at the same time the more open I become to that life, the more obstacles I face, soon as I dedicated myself to the pursuit of peace, Dharma, and compassion, to be a Bodhisattva, my life falls apart instantly. apparently this life just doesn't have that in store for me.

I swear I have demons haunting me, just waiting to rip anything good I have going for myself apart. At the moment I think I'm just giving up. That's what they want anyway, might as well let em have it. (And for those who think im joking, crazy, or exaggerating, then just interpret this as bad circumstances begin tearing me apart every-time I try to become very serious at my Dharma practice.)

If It wasen't for my mood problems and addictions I'd be in monk robes right now.
Jesse

Postby avisitor » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:56 pm

I understand problems pop up when one decides to start on a particular journey.
Isn't that also part of the journey??

I don't wish to tell anyone what to do or how to think.
But, if demons come up then doesn't that mean you are on the right track??
avisitor

Postby Motova » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Jesse wrote:
avisitor wrote:I am a simple person so I usually go for the simple answers.
I could be wrong??

Might be right, but at the same time the more open I become to that life, the more obstacles I face, soon as I dedicated myself to the pursuit of peace, Dharma, and compassion, to be a Bodhisattva, my life falls apart instantly. apparently this life just doesn't have that in store for me.

I swear I have demons haunting me, just waiting to rip anything good I have going for myself apart. At the moment I think I'm just giving up. That's what they want anyway, might as well let em have it. (And for those who think im joking, crazy, or exaggerating, then just interpret this as bad circumstances begin tearing me apart every-time I try to become very serious at my Dharma practice.)

If It wasen't for my mood problems and addictions I'd be in monk robes right now.

"Though one may have an impoverished life, always be disparaged by others, afflicted by dangerous illness and evil spirits, to be without discouragement and to take upon oneself all the misdeeds and suffering of beings is the Bodhisattvas' practice."
Motova

Postby papaya » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:25 am

In Thailand, many artisans create beautiful statues in wax. There's even an annual wax figures festival here! To help you understand your dream, I suggest you take a look at this link: The Buddha Statue Model Making and Casting http://ich.culture.go.th/index.php/en/ich/traditional-craftsmanship/241-craft/216-the-buddha-statue-model-making-and-casting
If you Google Thailand, wax statues, you will find more information and more images. By the way, have you ever visited a wax museum? It might give you some insights if you do.
papaya

Postby alpha » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:13 am

Jesse wrote:
In the dream we had wax statues (Small ones.),

Who's "we" in the dream?
AOM
alpha

Postby Hieros Gamos » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:34 pm

Jesse wrote:If It wasen't for my mood problems and addictions I'd be in monk robes right now.

Monks have mood problems and addictions.
Hieros Gamos

Return to Personal Experience