Accepting Yourself

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Re: Accepting Yourself

Postby Mkoll » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:36 am

:thanks: for sharing that Berry.
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Soar » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:40 pm

Completly agree with Malcolm. Do not spend time on trying to accept your afflications, this is crazy (albeit easy to slip into considering our cultures popular psychology conditioning). It is not a way to overcome self-hate at all, actually it is just another form of self hate. It takes only a moment to acknowledge that we have them, then use the suffering they cause as energy and drive to overcome them using tried and tested methods.

So if you want to overcome self-hate focus on remembering your buddhanature and your infinite potential to manifest all enlightened qualities and then resolve to be free from afflications so it can manifest. Also, do not try to do it alone, this is setting yourself up for failure and another form of self-sabotage, we must also learn to recieve the love and blessings from all the buddhas and bodhisattvas and receive teachings from the great teachers that are alive today.
“If you propose to speak always ask yourself, is it true, is it necessary, is it kind?”
― Siddhārtha Gautama

taichihastings.com
Soar

Postby garudha » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:40 pm

Jesse wrote:I think we all have aspects of ourselves we dislike. For a long while I have been trying to accept parts of myself that I truly hate. Thing's like anger, conceit, sexual impulses, greed, etc.

I think in some ways, when we realize these things harm us we switch to the opposite end of the spectrum unwillingly and start developing aversion to them, so how do we accept these things about ourselves without indulging them?

What are your experiences?

Of my truthful answer to your question it has been deemed wise to not speak of it.

However; on a general level I think "desire" and "aversion" are not two sides of the same coin... yet indifference is the reverse side of both these "things" and this can be cultivated through honesty with oneself.

You know this scene?..
imagesCA2J3U9U.jpg
Matrix (The Movie).
imagesCA2J3U9U.jpg (4.44 KiB) Viewed 102 times

(where Neo becomes faster than the agent)

When he "stops fighting" (shown in picture above); he becomes indifferent to his environment and "fear" ceases to be conceptualized as a response. He doesn't have to "love" the agent. It's enough to know(1), in honesty, that the artificial limits of his mind are not applicable to the true reality!
(1) It could be said there's a lack of knowing as the artificial limits fall away.
:alien: :buddha2: :buddha1: :yinyang: :zzz: :yinyang: :buddha1: :buddha2: :alien:
garudha

Postby Hieros Gamos » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:17 pm

garudha wrote:You know this scene?

Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself.
Hieros Gamos

Postby Jesse » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:44 pm

garudha wrote:
Jesse wrote:I think we all have aspects of ourselves we dislike. For a long while I have been trying to accept parts of myself that I truly hate. Thing's like anger, conceit, sexual impulses, greed, etc.

I think in some ways, when we realize these things harm us we switch to the opposite end of the spectrum unwillingly and start developing aversion to them, so how do we accept these things about ourselves without indulging them?

What are your experiences?

Of my truthful answer to your question it has been deemed wise to not speak of it.

However; on a general level I think "desire" and "aversion" are not two sides of the same coin... yet indifference is the reverse side of both these "things" and this can be cultivated through honesty with oneself.

You know this scene?..
imagesCA2J3U9U.jpg

(where Neo becomes faster than the agent)

When he "stops fighting" (shown in picture above); he becomes indifferent to his environment and "fear" ceases to be conceptualized as a response. He doesn't have to "love" the agent. It's enough to know(1), in honesty, that the artificial limits of his mind are not applicable to the true reality!
(1) It could be said there's a lack of knowing as the artificial limits fall away.

I hesitated to respond because you are right for the most part. Equanimity and detachment from the mind cuts through delusion. It's like watching an illusion vanish, and all the turbulence associated with these things becomes still and peaceful. :namaste:
"We know nothing at all. All our knowledge is but the knowledge of schoolchildren. The real nature of things we shall never know." - Albert Einstein
Jesse

Postby LastLegend » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:06 pm

I think once the Dharma's deepened, it is easier to manage the coarse thoughts-turbulence that manifests at subtle level in our body and will arise in form of fear and anxiety.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Previous

Return to Personal Experience