Genkaku's Blog

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Genkaku's Blog

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:35 am

Greetings,

Genkaku used to have a much-loved and much-read blog at E-Sangha, but he has since stopped updating that blog, and commenced his own on Blogspot.

Genkaku Again
http://genkaku-again.blogspot.com/

Genkaku's spitballing always makes for a good read.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes

Dhamma Wheel (Theravada forum) * Here Comes Trouble
retrofuturist
Founding Member

Re: Genkaku's Blog

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:45 am

Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby dumb bonbu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:03 am

cool! cheers for sharing peeps. i had a peek at the first few pages of Love Letters via amazon and it looks like it would be an enjoyable and inspiring read. i look forward to perusing the blog too. cheers for starting up again genkaku! :smile:
Although I too am within Amida's grasp,
Passions obstruct my eyes and I cannot see him;
Nevertheless, great compassion is untiring and
illumines me always.
- Shinran

Namu Amida Butsu
dumb bonbu

Postby floating_abu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:39 pm

:namaste:
floating_abu

Postby floating_abu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:40 pm

Thanks Retro
floating_abu

Postby Luke » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:15 pm

Genkaku is becoming a minor celebrity. We better all get his autograph now before he stars in a reality TV show which involves living in a house with Tony Danza, Gillian Anderson, Cindy Crawford, and Ralph Macchio and becomes a household name.

More Buddhists should be on reality shows...

Or Genkaku could simply start making some YouTube videos. A Zen version of "Dr. Phil" perhaps?
Luke

Postby floating_abu » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:58 pm

Luke wrote:Genkaku is becoming a minor celebrity. We better all get his autograph now before he stars in a reality TV show which involves living in a house with Tony Danza, Gillian Anderson, Cindy Crawford, and Ralph Macchio and becomes a household name.

Or Genkaku could simply start making some YouTube videos. A Zen version of "Dr. Phil" perhaps?

Would you say the same to HH? "Celebrity" is not always a noun, but oft it's a projection and probably more of an inconvenience.

Best mind our own motives. Otherwise, feel free to call me Suzy, Sky.
floating_abu

Postby Luke » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:31 pm

floating_abu wrote:Would you say the same to HH? "Celebrity" is not always a noun, but oft it's a projection and probably more of an inconvenience.

Best mind our own motives. Otherwise, feel free to call me Suzy, Sky.

I'm happy that Genkaku is getting some acclaim. It's fun to know rising stars. I was just joking around a bit because Genkaku's posts seem to indicate that he has a good sense of humor. (And yes, I do have the secret desire to see a Zen master on a reality TV show.)

Anyway, I apologize if I offended you in some way, Abu.
Luke

Postby floating_abu » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:59 pm

Luke wrote:Anyway, I apologize if I offended you in some way, Abu.

No apology needed, if I was offended in any way it would be my own failing in this instance. The old man probably does have a sense of humor but there is little I can represent on behalf of him.

Thanks for your response, Luke. :coffee:
floating_abu

Postby genkaku » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:59 pm

Luke wrote:Genkaku is becoming a minor celebrity. We better all get his autograph now before he stars in a reality TV show which involves living in a house with Tony Danza, Gillian Anderson, Cindy Crawford, and Ralph Macchio and becomes a household name.

Luke, you wily cuss ... you caught me with my pants down! Well done!

First of all, as to the "minor celebrity," let us pray, for the sake of all sentient beings, that it is very minor indeed. ... unless of course it means that people will send money to support me in my old age. :smile:

Second of all, although I have no wish to be on YouTube or TV, I do have a secret craving to win The Great American Think Off this year and be crowned as the greatest American philosopher of 2009, or something equally ludicrous. The whole thing makes me giggle in the same way the Monty Python skit did ... two boxers enter a ring -- one a Catholic, one a Protestant: Whoever wins will prove that his religion is the best. What a hoot!

Yes, I do love laughing.
genkaku

Postby Luke » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:10 pm

genkaku wrote:The whole thing makes me giggle in the same way the Monty Python skit did ... two boxers enter a ring -- one a Catholic, one a Protestant: Whoever wins will prove that his religion is the best. What a hoot!

How about a Zen vs. Vajrayana pillow fight? lol.

Anyway, Genkaku-roshi, is there anywhere where we can read a little about your biography? There's a picture of you in what looks like a military flight suit on your blog page which has piqued my curiosity. Were you a military pilot? (Sorry to be so nosy.) I grew up in Rhode Island, which is close to you, but now I'm across the Atlantic living in Europe.
Luke

Postby floating_abu » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:50 pm

Luke wrote:There's a picture of you in what looks like a military flight suit on your blog page which has piqued my curiosity.

:D (I think they're his Zen robes but I could be wrong)
floating_abu

Postby Luke » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:10 pm

floating_abu wrote:
Luke wrote:There's a picture of you in what looks like a military flight suit on your blog page which has piqued my curiosity.

:D (I think they're his Zen robes but I could be wrong)

Hmm, you might be right. The picture is so small that the shadows look like straps and buckles and the color is very similar to olive green on my monitor. It's interesting to experience the interplay of the skandhas of perception and mental formations.

Image Image
Luke

Postby Heruka » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:55 am

Gen you old dog!

:thanks:
Heruka

Postby floating_abu » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:24 pm

Donation

The old dog has given a lot, so here goes. :popcorn:
floating_abu