Economic Hegemony

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Economic Hegemony

Post by Huseng »

greentara wrote:Sure there's alot wrong with the U.S.A! Think about Sharia law: set forth in the Quran. I wouldn't want to live under the iron fist of the judges and Imams!
Furthermore whatever happened to Sufism? All but stamped out!
The Iranians (Shi ite) are fixated on martyrdom, I don't find that a calling that appeals! They have also suppressed, often brutally all forms that don't conform to strict Shi ite practice.
Iran's younger generation is moving towards secularism and liberal mindsets. They have the internet nowadays.

Attacking Iran because you dislike their legal and political system is not going to solve any of their problems or make their people happier.
greentara

Post by greentara »

"Iran's younger generation is moving towards secularism and liberal mindsets. They have the internet nowadays.

'Attacking Iran because you dislike their legal and political system is not going to solve any of their problems or make their people happier"

That's a very broad sweeping statement that the young in Iran are moving towards secularism? All I can say is perhaps some are. Huseng, when you criticise it isn't attacking! When others give an opinion then it's attacking when it doesn't dovetail with your views!
I think some of my opinions ring true. Maybe not all, but some.
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

greentara wrote: When others give an opinion then it's attacking when it doesn't dovetail with your views!
Perhaps Huseng is trying to avoid this thread taking the turn toward Islam bashing that has forced DW to close other threads. Nothing wrong with thoughtful criticism; it is the unthinking kind that leads to harm.

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
greentara

Post by greentara »

viniketa, Thanks point taken. Still I feel sad about the demise of Sufism.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

greentara wrote: That's a very broad sweeping statement that the young in Iran are moving towards secularism? All I can say is perhaps some are. Huseng, when you criticise it isn't attacking! When others give an opinion then it's attacking when it doesn't dovetail with your views!
I think some of my opinions ring true. Maybe not all, but some.
Well from what I've read and the Iranians I've spoke to a lot of the younger generation are inclined towards the global secular culture.

Persia was historically full of wine drinking party goers. We still have a wine called Shiraz, which is a city in Iran. Apparently there is an underground alcohol culture behind closed doors. Even 17th century Persia still had it:

Concerning our discussions. Feel free to criticize and attack me at your leisure.

I was pointing out earlier that despite all the horrid western propaganda against Iran, they haven't really done anything to deserve it. Their government might suck, but that's no reason to buy into the hate filled propaganda against their nation. To do so is to lend support to the present NATO-Israeli move to attack Iran.

Return to “Lounge”