Why was E-Sangha controversial?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
floating_abu

Re: Why was E-Sangha controversial?

Post by floating_abu »

Before Namdrol et.al took over, it was a great place with fantastic dialogue, excellent members and an open, constructive place for dialog. The first death knell was when teyes took moderator decisions "offline" and without that transparency, all things started losing. This is what happens when the shadows rule. I heard of many moderator decisions and actions, and have never known which moderators were decent and which were not. But I know that for example many good Zen forum members were effectively persecuted for not "spreading the true word of the Dharma" because the nuances were lost on those external to the school. What a pity, what a loss.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

floating_abu wrote:But I know that for example many good Zen forum members were effectively persecuted for not "spreading the true word of the Dharma" because the nuances were lost on those external to the school.
I'm afraid that I would have to agree that that was the case.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

Jinzang wrote:E-Sangha enforced a conservative view of Buddhism and those who held a different viewpoint both resented that and being moderated when they expressed that disagreement.
How neatly capped, Jinzang. Are you sure that any of the words such sectarianism, dogmatism, non-transparency and abuse of power didn't have to do with the demise of E-sangha? I thought it did actually, and I also believe that had the discussions been out in the open, those moderators would never have acted the way they did in "private".

Best wishes,
Abu
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

This thread is now spiraling into a pattern of repetition and recrimination that is not particularly helpful. Namdrol/Malcolm, for instance, has publicly renounced his previous conduct and expressed an intention to move on along better terms. I think all of us will be well advised to look to our own conduct in a similar way moving forward rather than dwelling on the perceived misdeeds of others.

What does the Buddha Dharma have to say about the habit of blaming others and dwelling on the mistakes others make?

Thread locked.

Return to “Lounge”