Legalized Marijuana - will you smoke it?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
invisiblediamond

Re: Legalized Marijuana - will you smoke it?

Post by invisiblediamond »

padma norbu wrote:
invisiblediamond wrote:
padma norbu wrote:But, mostly, smoking pot is adding another layer of obfuscation to natural mind, not clearing anything away. In fact, it seems like it would be easier to kid yourself into believing it helped you stay in rigpa or whatever while actually just turning into a permafried guy who thinks he is recognizing something he is not recognizing. It sounds to me like you are just talking about building up a tolerance to the point you can function stoned.

You can potentially use anything as a method, but the list you've made just sounds like justification for a lifestyle to which you were already habituated or fell into at some point.

I think if music sounds better after you smoke and food tastes better, jokes are funnier and life seems more blissful, then you have to admit it is activating parts of your brain that aren't normally lit up. Likewise, if you have trouble with detail-oriented thinking like calculus or programming or doing your taxes after you smoke, then similarly, I think you have to admit it is inhibiting your brain, too. If certain parts of your brain are switched on and other parts are switched off, then it's another layer of obfuscation, not clarity.
Yes. It increases sensitivity. It helps improve my detail oriented thinking. That's for sure. How do you know it's not switching on clarity and then increasing the wattage? Things are so clear one becomes enamored. This leads to god realm of form. Yes there are dangers. Tantrics go for it. Mahamudra and Dzogchen as paths of self liberation bypass this. I'm talking from tantric attitude.
Oh my. I'm not going to comment anymore. You are stating a lot of things which I would say are incorrect and I don't want to encourage you to say more such things.
Your choice.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Yes, my choice. Maybe if you backed up your claims with a link or responded when I asked you who taught you this, I would feel differently. But, it became clear you are just going to keep saying things without any corroboration when I read: "Things are so clear one becomes enamored. This leads to god realm of form."
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
invisiblediamond

padma norbu wrote:Yes, my choice. Maybe if you backed up your claims with a link or responded when I asked you who taught you this, I would feel differently. But, it became clear you are just going to keep saying things without any corroboration when I read: "Things are so clear one becomes enamored. This leads to god realm of form."
I said the plant is the teacher. Shaman accept this. And take accepting a plant as teacher with the same reverence Buddhists take on a guru. Shamanism is not complicated and there are many internet sites. What I'm saying is very mainstream in shamanism if that is possible. In various places there are Mahamudra teachings saying that attachment to clarity leads to god realm, bliss to desire realm, nonduality to animal realm. This is the danger inherent in Mahamudra. You can read Dakpo Tashi Namgyal and others. This is also stuff taken from the main pubic talks on Mahamudra you see around all over. The only part unusual I'm saying is that the principles of Mahamudra can be applied to the shamanist experience. In Bhutan you might find this way of thinking in remote parts. See The Heart of the World, Ian Baker. Bhaka Tulku is a very nice teacher.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

invisiblediamond wrote:
padma norbu wrote:Yes, my choice. Maybe if you backed up your claims with a link or responded when I asked you who taught you this, I would feel differently. But, it became clear you are just going to keep saying things without any corroboration when I read: "Things are so clear one becomes enamored. This leads to god realm of form."
I said the plant is the teacher. Shaman accept this. And take accepting a plant as teacher with the same reverence Buddhists take on a guru. Shamanism is not complicated and there are many internet sites. What I'm saying is very mainstream in shamanism if that is possible. In various places there are Mahamudra teachings saying that attachment to clarity leads to god realm, bliss to desire realm, nonduality to animal realm. This is the danger inherent in Mahamudra. You can read Dakpo Tashi Namgyal and others. This is also stuff taken from the main pubic talks on Mahamudra you see around all over. The only part unusual I'm saying is that the principles of Mahamudra can be applied to the shamanist experience. In Bhutan you might find this way of thinking in remote parts. See The Heart of the World, Ian Baker. Bhaka Tulku is a very nice teacher.
Shamanism is also a widely misused term. Just because the bonpo tradition combines elements of buddhism with shamanism, doesn't mean there is any bonpo teaching which instructs upon ritual use of marijuana like the rastafarians or the sadhu, for example. Likewise, Mahamudra teachings that may say attainment to clarity leads to god realm is not what I would consider corroboration that "things become so clear... this leads to the god realm of form" while smoking marijuana. Indeed, even the statement that things "become so clear" after smoking marijuana is suspect. Have you ever discussed this with a teacher (who was not the plant marijuana) to compare notes, as it were? I am thinking now of the Healthy Mind Interviews series of books in which the author tries to suss out rigpa from various teachers to get as exacting as possible language for students to confirm their experiences. Or, are you relying completely on your own understanding of what recognition means and confirming for yourself the experience? In other words, has any teacher other than the plant marijuana ever actually taught you this?
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
invisiblediamond

padma norbu wrote:
invisiblediamond wrote:
Shamanism is also a widely misused term. Just because the bonpo tradition combines elements of buddhism with shamanism, doesn't mean there is any bonpo teaching which instructs upon ritual use of marijuana like the rastafarians or the sadhu, for example. Likewise, Mahamudra teachings that may say attainment to clarity leads to god realm is not what I would consider corroboration that "things become so clear... this leads to the god realm of form" while smoking marijuana. Indeed, even the statement that things "become so clear" after smoking marijuana is suspect. Have you ever discussed this with a teacher (who was not the plant marijuana) to compare notes, as it were? I am thinking now of the Healthy Mind Interviews series of books in which the author tries to suss out rigpa from various teachers to get as exacting as possible language for students to confirm their experiences. Or, are you relying completely on your own understanding of what recognition means and confirming for yourself the experience? In other words, has any teacher other than the plant marijuana ever actually taught you this?
You were the one who said it makes food taste better. That's clarity with more intensity. Like a bright color. Then you get amazed. That's the attachment that leads to god realm. My teachers taught clarity and so on and confirmed my experiences. I know Mahamudra. I can say that confidently. No one confirmed my ganja experience. That's all me. I'm not limited to what was precisely done before if the essence was done before and I have that essence transmission perfectly. I'm just going off interdependence of what I see and trying to help.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I wouldn't say "food tasting better" is clarity.
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

:popcorn:
I can't help but jump back in on this one. Invisiblediamond, here's the thing: I'll start by saying (though I may have earlier in the thread) that I am no means anti-marijuana. I voted for it's legalization, I think in cases it can be a helpful medicine, and is some cases it may even be spiritually beneficial to practitioners with certain afflictions (there is some evidence that it can help people with severe OCD/tourettes and sometimes bipolar function more normally mentally).

What you bring up about it being a spiritual tool is not necessarily invalid in an abstract sense, but the bottom line is it isn't Buddhism. You can throw out as many Buddhist terms as you like, and claim you know Mahamudra (which you may or may not, not my place to say), but no one is going to be convinced by that. There are plenty of people trained here in these things, that are not going to be convinced by buzzwords, as they know what is and isn't in the teachings. No one is disagreeing that it may be an aspect of Shamanism or other spiritual paths, but just because something is valid in one spiritual path, doesn't mean it is in another. In fact, the fact that you keep bringing up Shamanism/Bon/Sadhus only makes everything you're saying seem less valid. It's fine to pick and choose from multiple spiritual paths, but then claiming they are all part of a specific teaching in Buddhism isn't true. They can be part of your path, yes, but no one is going to believe they are in line with the teachings, because they aren't.

You said you were taught that anything at all can be used on the tantric path as long as it is beneficial. That is true. But it doesn't mean that everything is necessarily beneficial, and it's especially not a backup guarantee meaning that no practitioner can ever be mistaken about what is beneficial and what isn't.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

asunthatneversets wrote:The only reason it was illegal in the first place is because William Randolph Hearst ran a smear campaign against hemp. Hemp was a growing industry which was going to be problematic for his cotton and paper businesses. Marijuana is actually a weed which grows in Mexico which is completely unrelated to hemp, they stole the name and labeled hemp 'marijuana' in order to make it sound foreign and potentially dangerous. Cannabis has never killed anyone, while alcohol and tobacco kill countless people every year. The whole thing is political. Big pharma doesn't want to see cannabis legalized because it can treat various ailments they claim to treat by peddling their garbage pharmaceuticals....

...Right I wasn't implying hemp was different than cannabis. And you're right anything can be abused and misused, but the dangers of alcohol and tobacco are far more prevalent. I'm just saying the logic doesn't add up. If marijuana is illegal, alcohol and tobacco should be illegal, but of course that would never happen, there's big business behind alcohol and tobacco. And big business behind 'the war on drugs'.

I don't smoke weed or tobacco (or anything at all) and I don't drink, but in my opinion marijuana is far less dangerous and actually has potential health benefits. The whole thing just reeks of economic and political b.s.
:good:

Anyhow, I'm both skeptical and open-minded about its possible spiritual benefits (I've posted on this elsewhere in these forums).

It does come with psychological risks, yet is still physically safer than the medical mafia's synthetic big pharma garbage.

Anyway if one insists, you'll want to read this first:

Why You Should Buy Only Organic Marijuana: Avoiding Pesticides with Your Pot?

And it's logical that synthetic insecticides could also be a cause for having a bad trip.

Smoking it probably isn't the best way either. There are alternatives to smoking such as vaporizing, cookies/brownies, tinctures, etc.

This being the case, one could hit the Bhang instead of the bong.
Last edited by Lhug-Pa on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa »

Just in order to clarify: Bonpos do not use ganja.
Bon is Buddhism from a different lineage.

The confusion might arise from the fact, that in places influenced by Tibetan culture, many times everything that is not
Buddhism, but some kind of shamanism, magic, etc, is called simply "bon", in a very similar way like in India these kind
of magicians are called "tantriks", though they might not belong to any kind of tantric lineage.
invisiblediamond

ClearblueSky wrote::popcorn:
I can't help but jump back in on this one. Invisiblediamond, here's the thing: I'll start by saying (though I may have earlier in the thread) that I am no means anti-marijuana. I voted for it's legalization, I think in cases it can be a helpful medicine, and is some cases it may even be spiritually beneficial to practitioners with certain afflictions (there is some evidence that it can help people with severe OCD/tourettes and sometimes bipolar function more normally mentally).

What you bring up about it being a spiritual tool is not necessarily invalid in an abstract sense, but the bottom line is it isn't Buddhism. You can throw out as many Buddhist terms as you like, and claim you know Mahamudra (which you may or may not, not my place to say), but no one is going to be convinced by that. There are plenty of people trained here in these things, that are not going to be convinced by buzzwords, as they know what is and isn't in the teachings. No one is disagreeing that it may be an aspect of Shamanism or other spiritual paths, but just because something is valid in one spiritual path, doesn't mean it is in another. In fact, the fact that you keep bringing up Shamanism/Bon/Sadhus only makes everything you're saying seem less valid. It's fine to pick and choose from multiple spiritual paths, but then claiming they are all part of a specific teaching in Buddhism isn't true. They can be part of your path, yes, but no one is going to believe they are in line with the teachings, because they aren't.

You said you were taught that anything at all can be used on the tantric path as long as it is beneficial. That is true. But it doesn't mean that everything is necessarily beneficial, and it's especially not a backup guarantee meaning that no practitioner can ever be mistaken about what is beneficial and what isn't.
The point is it's up to oneself to take that responsibility for knowing what helps and what hurts. You are all demonstrating a superiority complex about Buddhism. It's fine to denigrate me. I guess that's your path. It shows you don't really have confidence in your path.
invisiblediamond

padma norbu wrote:I wouldn't say "food tasting better" is clarity.
Clarity is a technical term for sense perception. If you see a bright color that's it. All sense experience becomes more intense. This is more intense clarity. Then a moment comes when that intensity is loved or hated. That part is ignorance. The following is not a buzzword it comes from the Mahmudra orals: then you look at feeling and see it's like space. This is really simple. To disagree either you are being dogmatic about moral ethics, you are parroting someone, or you haven't heard the instructions and are talking out of your ass. Dzogchen tantras explicitly say all paths of samsara and nirvana, and of gods and men all belong to Samantabhadra. No lower vehicle is rejected. Don't deny this. Don't denigrate dharma. If you have transmission of rigpa, nothing can alter it. Everything becomes like wood in the fire. Ever heard of it? Before anyone else pretends they know what they are talking about, read up on the Bhutanese masters of the tribal regions. Or better yet, go to Bhaka Tulku. He's magical and will defy your ability to pin him down.
invisiblediamond

tatpurusa wrote:Just in order to clarify: Bonpos do not use ganja.
Bon is Buddhism from a different lineage.

The confusion might arise from the fact, that in places influenced by Tibetan culture, many times everything that is not
Buddhism, but some kind of shamanism, magic, etc, is called simply "bon", in a very similar way like in India these kind
of magicians are called "tantriks", though they might not belong to any kind of tantric lineage.
Sometimes they do. See Ian Baker's
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

invisiblediamond wrote:
Clarity is a technical term for sense perception. If you see a bright color that's it. All sense experience becomes more intense. This is more intense clarity. Then a moment comes when that intensity is loved or hated. That part is ignorance. The following is not a buzzword it comes from the Mahmudra orals: then you look at feeling and see it's like space. This is really simple. To disagree either you are being dogmatic about moral ethics, you are parroting someone, or you haven't heard the instructions and are talking out of your ass.
So, as I said, then: I wouldn't say "food tasting better" is clarity. No more than I would say "music sounding better" is clarity or a "joke being funnier" is clarity. These were the examples used. You are confusing a euphoric reaction produced by chemicals entering the brain and mimicking other natural body-made chemicals with "clarity." One might consider that "talking out of your ass."
invisiblediamond wrote:Dzogchen tantras explicitly say all paths of samsara and nirvana, and of gods and men all belong to Samantabhadra. No lower vehicle is rejected. Don't deny this. Don't denigrate dharma. If you have transmission of rigpa, nothing can alter it. Everything becomes like wood in the fire. Ever heard of it? Before anyone else pretends they know what they are talking about, read up on the Bhutanese masters of the tribal regions. Or better yet, go to Bhaka Tulku. He's magical and will defy your ability to pin him down.
Unless you're mistaken, then everything is just wood in the fire of burning down your house.
invisiblediamond

padma norbu wrote:
invisiblediamond wrote:
Clarity is a technical term for sense perception. If you see a bright color that's it. All sense experience becomes more intense. This is more intense clarity. Then a moment comes when that intensity is loved or hated. That part is ignorance. The following is not a buzzword it comes from the Mahmudra orals: then you look at feeling and see it's like space. This is really simple. To disagree either you are being dogmatic about moral ethics, you are parroting someone, or you haven't heard the instructions and are talking out of your ass.
So, as I said, then: I wouldn't say "food tasting better" is clarity. No more than I would say "music sounding better" is clarity or a "joke being funnier" is clarity. These were the examples used. You are confusing a euphoric reaction produced by chemicals entering the brain and mimicking other natural body-made chemicals with "clarity." One might consider that "talking out of your ass."
You are putting words in my mouth.

[/quote]
invisiblediamond wrote:Dzogchen tantras explicitly say all paths of samsara and nirvana, and of gods and men all belong to Samantabhadra. No lower vehicle is rejected. Don't deny this. Don't denigrate dharma. If you have transmission of rigpa, nothing can alter it. Everything becomes like wood in the fire. Ever heard of it? Before anyone else pretends they know what they are talking about, read up on the Bhutanese masters of the tribal regions. Or better yet, go to Bhaka Tulku. He's magical and will defy your ability to pin him down.
Unless you're mistaken, then everything is just wood in the fire of burning down your house.[/quote]

I'm right. All masters say poisons becomes like wood in fire. You are obviously unaware of matters of common knowledge in Vajrayana.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Also, these two statements are fun back-to-back:
invisiblediamond wrote:I don't think dharma is made up. It's dealing with facts not magic. Take hunger. When that comes you have to face it. If it's strong the challenge is greater. Yes I recognized when I got the instructions on thoughts I could apply this to any feeling. So I did. I didn't make anything up. I applied what I knew.
invisiblediamond wrote:Or better yet, go to Bhaka Tulku. He's magical and will defy your ability to pin him down
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

invisiblediamond wrote:You are putting words in my mouth.
No, I think you put words in my mouth when you called this euphoric reaction "clarity" and then said "hey, YOU'RE the one who said food tastes better," which is not what I said and "clarity" certainly wasn't implied by my statement. I said IF food tastes better, music sounds better and jokes are funnier, then parts of your brain are switched on that aren't normally and, by contrast, if you find it hard to do your taxes or do your calclulus homework, then parts of your brain are inhibited; both are characteristics of being stoned, ie. a layer of obfuscation over your regular mind. Not that hard to follow...
invisiblediamond wrote:I'm right. All masters say poisons becomes like wood in fire. You are obviously unaware of matters of common knowledge in Vajrayana.
Please! Why don't you go start drinking a handle of whiskey every morning and night and tell us how stoked your fire is?
invisiblediamond

padma norbu wrote:
No, I think you put words in my mouth when you called this euphoric reaction "clarity" and then said "hey, YOU'RE the one who said food tastes better," which is not what I said and "clarity" certainly wasn't implied by my statement. I said IF food tastes better, music sounds better and jokes are funnier, then parts of your brain are switched on that aren't normally and, by contrast, if you find it hard to do your taxes or do your calclulus homework, then parts of your brain are inhibited; both are characteristics of being stoned, ie. a layer of obfuscation over your regular mind. Not that hard to follow...
invisiblediamond wrote:I'm right. All masters say poisons becomes like wood in fire. You are obviously unaware of matters of common knowledge in Vajrayana.
Please! Why don't you go start drinking a handle of whiskey every morning and night and tell us how stoked your fire is?
See Trungpa.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

invisiblediamond wrote:
padma norbu wrote:
See Trungpa.
You seem to be misunderstanding my very obvious statement: "Unless you're mistaken, then everything is just wood in the fire of burning down your house."

If you're not Trungpa, or a great Mahasiddha, then you might simply be a mistaken fool getting wasted and thinking you are "drinking mindfully." I didn't say you were, I merely said "unless you're mistaken..."

If you think being a Vajrayana practitioner magically turns poison into wood for fire, ask Trungpa's followers who spread AIDS around thinking they were protected by the power of Vajrayana how their poisons were transformed. (I realize HIV and alcohol are quite different things, mind you; the point is Vajrayana purification didn't purify HIV and simply being a tantric practitioner isn't guaranteeing you won't make mistakes that are detrimental)... Oh, and by the way, Trungpa disapproved of marijuana and threw his students' bags of weed into the fire! :D
invisiblediamond

padma norbu wrote:
See Trungpa.[/quote]

You seem to be misunderstanding my very obvious statement: "Unless you're mistaken, then everything is just wood in the fire of burning down your house."

If you're not Trungpa, or a great Mahasiddha, then you might simply be a mistaken fool getting wasted and thinking you are "drinking mindfully." I didn't say you were, I merely said "unless you're mistaken..."

If you think being a Vajrayana practitioner magically turns poison into wood for fire, ask Trungpa's followers who spread AIDS around thinking they were protected by the power of Vajrayana how their poisons were transformed. (I realize HIV and alcohol are quite different things, mind you; the point is Vajrayana purification didn't purify HIV and simply being a tantric practitioner isn't guaranteeing you won't make mistakes that are detrimental)... Oh, and by the way, Trungpa disapproved of marijuana and threw his students' bags of weed into the fire! :D[/quote]

It could have been the other way around. He liked whiskey. Trungpa didn't transmit Dzogchen which is nongradual. One who has direct transmission can integrate anything. And obviously one has to guard against dualistic grasping. That's the whole game.
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

Lhug-Pa wrote: And it's logical that synthetic insecticides could also be a cause for having a bad trip.

Smoking it probably isn't the best way either. There are alternatives to smoking such as vaporizing, cookies/brownies, tinctures, etc.
Good link but just to clarify to people... for the most part bad trips are not from insecticides, but from the thc levels, and especially the ratio of thc to other compounds. It's why different strains from the same place can make people trip more/less severely. And you are actually much more likely to have a bad trip from cookies/brownies than smoking it. Sorry to veer too much off topic if I am.

Return to “Lounge”