Legalized Marijuana - will you smoke it?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
padma norbu

Legalized Marijuana - will you smoke it?

Post by padma norbu »

It seems only a matter of time before the pot is legal everywherish. One thing I know is two things: hippies love pot and hippies love Buddhism.

How many Vajrasattva mantras do you think one should do after a wake and bake every day? You know, to get you in the right frame of mind for your morning meditations?

:popcorn:
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Nemo

Re: Legalized Marijuana - will you smoke it?

Post by Nemo »

I don't have a Glennfiddich before I do pudga. Pot is a medicine I do not need. I think it would be a much superior substitute to things like Prozac or amitriptyline. Self medicating hippies, don't get me started.
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

better to just do the vajrasattva mantras without smoking at all.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
justsit

Post by justsit »

No. Been there, done that, it's a dead end.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Wait, are you saying it's not legal?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

KonchokZoepa wrote:better to just do the vajrasattva mantras without smoking at all.
But, you know, it's a spiritual herb, mon. :rolleye:
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

padma norbu wrote:How many Vajrasattva mantras do you think one should do after a wake and bake every day? You know, to get you in the right frame of mind for your morning meditations?
About a million of the 100 syllable mantra should do the trick. Best to do 1,111,111 just to be on the safe side though.

Actually I am with "justsit" on this issue.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

padma norbu, i guess you just have to experiment it if you are that into it... many masters say its a hinder to meditation and spiritual practice. and after many years of smoking i did not once find any real spiritual qualities in it. its psychedelic, not to be confused as spiritual.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Yeah, I like to get high and go hunting. :guns:

PS. I'm not sure if anyone thought I was actually speaking for myself in this thread or why. Just thought I'd put the topic out there for Googlers.
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

...go hunting for some teachings and empowerments :sage:
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

KonchokZoepa wrote:...go hunting for some teachings and empowerments :sage:
While stoned, right? I hear that is the best way to connect with reality and the spirit world, too.
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

:mrgreen: :ugeek: :rolleye:
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

KonchokZoepa wrote:...go hunting for some teachings and empowerments :sage:
...on WEED?

phpBB [video]

Unless I develop some serious health issues in which I require an anti-emetic, I'll pass, thanks.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

No, I won't, I was chronic many moons ago....as, likely, were many of us. I think it's antithetical to true meditation practice. Once you've seen the rushing stream, what use to imbibe something that takes away your ability to observe the stream from it's banks, or, worse, throws you right into the middle of the stream without you even knowing you're soaking wet?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Maybe now would be a good time for those of use with some experience on both sides of this fence to talk a little bit about the difference between a good marijuana high and a good post-meditation high. Or, the difference between daily life vibes as a content pot smoker and daily life as a content Buddhist practitioner.

For myself, I have noticed that regular Buddhist practice is like being snug in a warm blanket all day long. Very comfortable, very content, very cozy and happy. If I happen to be extra busy for a long stretch and don't find time to practice, then after a while I might start to feel a little stressed out and things begin to look different... probably because I'm committing a bunch of karmic errors and negativity is building up inside. That's when I think getting wasted might feel good (escape). Dipping into a nice Calgon bath of Buddhist practice always works out better and faster. I have learned from experience.

:cheers:
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

Honestly the topic of Marijuana has been pretty talked to death in other Dharmawheel threads, so it'll already show up in a search. If someone is a heavy recreational user, it can definitely effect their practice negatively, as it can take a toll on concentration/motivation. Occasional use is probably not going to suddenly bring you realization either from a Buddhist perspective, but I don't think it's all that much worse or different than occasionally having a drink.

The only time I see it truly being a strong benefit to practice is when someone has a medical use for it, and their medical problem impedes their practice. For example, if someone has such severe pain they can't practice at all, then the weed eases the pain enough they can actually practice, it's worth it. If someone has such mental difficulties that they absolutely need something to even start practicing, and they find that weed is a better option than a prescription medication (which also can have it's own side effects), then it's also beneficial to their practice. Even if it can slow down the practice some, practicing mindfulness while a bit high is a better choice than just not practicing at all.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

ClearblueSky wrote:Honestly the topic of Marijuana has been pretty talked to death in other Dharmawheel threads, so it'll already show up in a search.
Stop harshing my buzz, I'm convinced my thread is different.
ClearblueSky wrote:Occasional use is probably not going to suddenly bring you realization either from a Buddhist perspective, but I don't think it's all that much worse or different than occasionally having a drink.
ORLY? Do you get completely wasted off one drink of alcohol?
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

ClearblueSky wrote:Occasional use is probably not going to suddenly bring you realization either from a Buddhist perspective, but I don't think it's all that much worse or different than occasionally having a drink.
padma norbu wrote:ORLY? Do you get completely wasted off one drink of alcohol?
No, but you don't get completely wasted from one hit of weed either really. What I mean to say is in the long term, if someone smoked weed a couple times a year I don't believe it would affect their practice much more adversely than having a drink or two once in a while, even if the short term effects are not exactly the same. But regardless, I still believe 9/10 times it wouldn't benefit someone's practice.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

ClearblueSky wrote:
padma norbu wrote:ORLY? Do you get completely wasted off one drink of alcohol?
No, but you don't get completely wasted from one hit of weed either really.
Alcohol generally takes about 2 drinks before you feel a buzz. Unless you're doing shots, those 2 drinks can last you a good hour or so and there is other pleasure to be obtained from it, especially since you should be drinking mindfully and not getting drunk. One good hit of weed is all you need these days to get extremely high unless you're a regular smoker or else you get bad weed every time you smoke it. There is no non-buzz pleasure of smoking modern marijuana unless you don't inhale. You basically have to smoke it regularly every day for one week to build up a tolerance to it in order to feel more or less "normal" even when actually very high... in which case, you are operating through a fog which is hardly conducive to clear thinking. As a programmer and daily smoker friend of mine put it: "it's good to do at the end of the day, to think about the big picture stuff, not when you actually have a lot of programming to do because you get confused too easily."
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

padma norbu wrote: Alcohol generally takes about 2 drinks before you feel a buzz. Unless you're doing shots, those 2 drinks can last you a good hour or so and there is other pleasure to be obtained from it, especially since you should be drinking mindfully and not getting drunk. One good hit of weed is all you need these days to get extremely high unless you're a regular smoker or else you get bad weed every time you smoke it. There is no non-buzz pleasure of smoking modern marijuana unless you don't inhale. You basically have to smoke it regularly every day for one week to build up a tolerance to it in order to feel more or less "normal" even when actually very high... in which case, you are operating through a fog which is hardly conducive to clear thinking. As a programmer and daily smoker friend of mine put it: "it's good to do at the end of the day, to think about the big picture stuff, not when you actually have a lot of programming to do because you get confused too easily."
The prohibition on intoxicants came about from a monk not able to keep their other vows because they were blotto after drinking. I don't know about you, but weed never made me unconscious. Quite in the opposite direction. I think for lay practitioners the same thing would apply as for alcohol, don't drink or smoke to the point of losing the ability to keep your other vows with mindfulness. It's not a moral issue, it's a practical one.

Bogarting a joint, now *that* is a moral issue.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava

Return to “Lounge”