Dalai Lama government and pre historic tibet

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
KonchokZoepa

Dalai Lama government and pre historic tibet

Post by KonchokZoepa »

I wonder about this. Dalai Lama is the incarnation of Avalokitesvara.

yet the great compassionate lord ruled over his people like any taken example of our current world ruling elite.

in pre historic tibet people suffered from extreme poverty and bad living conditions, people were illiterate if not monks and basically living a life of slavery.

while the elite monks lived in palaces and enjoyed different pleasures to the fullest.
i understand this is controversial topic, and even for me it seems that if i question the authority of the dalai lama the whole culture and religious facts, taken for granted in some cases seem to collapse and destroy the whole view of how tibetan buddhist religion is.

so it would be nice to have topic on this, if we can muster in any conversation.

and anyone with any historical knowledge on this topic it would be nice to have that information here.
thanks
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
conebeckham

Re: Dalai Lama government and pre historic tibet

Post by conebeckham »

We can't say anything about "prehistoric Tibet," really.

But we can talk of "Historic Tibet." In particular, you're talking about Central Tibet after the 5th Dalai Lama, up until the time of the Chinese occupation starting in the late 1950's....just to be clear.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

oops , you are correct. that is what I'm talking about. i put the pre word there because i assumed historical tibet is 1959 and before that it is pre historical. anyway, sorry my english skills are seemingly imperfect. heh
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
ovi

Post by ovi »

KonchokZoepa wrote: i understand this is controversial topic, and even for me it seems that if i question the authority of the dalai lama the whole culture and religious facts, taken for granted in some cases seem to collapse and destroy the whole view of how tibetan buddhist religion is.
Tibetan Buddhism comprises various schools of Buddhism with the goal of guiding practitioners towards enlightenment. You can question any authority at all.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

There are examples of people who criticized the structures of Tibetan Buddhism, and the actions of fake/insincere/scheming Lamas - from within Tibetan Buddhism. I even remember some in Words Of My Perfect Teacher.

However, that is different than blaming Tibetan Buddhism for samsara, or for the fact that human society operates under the influence of the three poisons. The Buddha himself couldn't fix samsara, so if one wants to criticize on that level, you can only go by the actions of someone in context, you can't blame them for the operation and/or failings of a whole society, or expect they can magically remake their culture into a pure land.

There are plenty of people out there wishing to make all of Buddhism, or all of Tibetan Buddhism, some kind of grand conspiracy for domination, their sole argument seems to amount to: There are, or were bad Buddhist leaders, or leaders that make, or have made questionable decisions, Tibetan society was no shangri-la etc.

But this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, particularly anyone who has a modicum of understanding of Buddhism, there's a saying that goes something like "Whereever the Dharma is, Maras are bound to be"...pretty common sense stuff.

But people will keep up with their prapanca, because prapanca takes priority..lol.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Lounge”