View on B. Gita's concept of duty, killing, going to heaven

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Sherab

Re: View on B. Gita's concept of duty, killing, going to hea

Post by Sherab »

I have not thought through the concept of duty as yet, but my initial reaction is that it is similar to the concept of destiny and therefore a certain lack of choice.

Another reservation I have about the concept of duty is that it can so easily be used to justify the caste system: You are born into this caste to do this duty, so forget about changing what has been destined for you by a higher power and just do your duty. The higher power will therefore reward you for it. In a sense, you are subject to the dictate of a higher entity.

Buddhism keeps it simple and say that your present situation is a result of your past actions. You have a choice of how you react to the present situation, but that reaction carries future consequence through the natural law of karma. So things are quite open in Buddhism. It is also more in accord with the concept that you determine your own destiny.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Gwenn Dana wrote:If one´s not able to master the defilements in a battle situation, how much is that art worth then?
The Gita mst use a life and death situation. And the fact, that Arjuna has to go out against "his own people" adds to the emotional complexity of the situation.

So Krshna basically says stay empty and do what needs to be done. As I remember the situation Arjuna is in, there is not an option to avoid that fight.If one individual could avoid all wars, there would be none. As far as I´m concerned there is no difference between the literal and more subtle interpretations, except maybe for the detail that some of them don´t grasp the situation of impeding death and the need to be equianimous toward it. If talking "only mental" stuff there´s always the "escape pod" that you could get away with one transgression, or maybe another one, or ... Arjuna cannot get away with anything. He has to *become empty now*, not phantasize about it.

Best wishes
Gwenn
Does the concept of emptiness even exist in the cult of Krishna? I doubt it. So this interpretation is completely syncretic and probably does not reflect the meaning of the text that the writer intended. Having read a couple of "Hindu" analyses of the text I would say that to try to introduce emptiness into the equation completely lacks a basis.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Sherab Dorje wrote:Does the concept of emptiness even exist in the cult of Krishna? I doubt it. So this interpretation is completely syncretic and probably does not reflect the meaning of the text that the writer intended. Having read a couple of "Hindu" analyses of the text I would say that to try to introduce emptiness into the equation completely lacks a basis.
Hello Sherab,

thanks for the clarification. I merely used that phrase as a convention here since we´re discussing it in the context of a Mahayana site. In a Hindu context you could say stay as Brahma, stay as the absolute, or even become clear of prakriti and recognize purusha. I´ve heard teachers use emptiness in that context, whether they should be called Hindus or Vedantists, who knows.

For practical purposes of being equianimous in facing the situation it doesn´t really change much IMHO. I don´t see why we would need to introduce a notion of ontology in that particular point. What sattvic, rajasic and tapasic concepts are is said in the gita. The ontology of universes appearing and the understanding of karma is also pointed to, so ...

Best wishes
Gwenn
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Gwenn Dana wrote:thanks for the clarification. I merely used that phrase as a convention here since we´re discussing it in the context of a Mahayana site. In a Hindu context you could say stay as Brahma, stay as the absolute, or even become clear of prakriti and recognize purusha. I´ve heard teachers use emptiness in that context, whether they should be called Hindus or Vedantists, who knows.
When emptiness becomes reified it ceases being emptiness.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Yes, we cannot escape the boundaries of convention when using language. But stressing it every time won´t help either.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

You misunderstood me: if you call emptiness "the absolute" or "Brahma" then you are reifying it. You have made it something.

In Buddhism emptiness is just emptiness, it is neither absolute nor relative. It is just the way phenomena are. I am not talking about reification through discussion, but a conscious attempt to make it something (which is what normally happens in "Hinduism").

oushi

Post by oushi »

Sherab Dorje wrote:In Buddhism emptiness is just emptiness, it is neither absolute nor relative. It is just the way phenomena are.
Can we conclude, from your words, that absolute and relative phenomena are not empty? In other words, if I reify a phenomena as absolute, will it case to be empty? Will it gain a non-empty nature?

Everything is empty, even Bhagavad-Gita with its reifications.
Say what you think about me here.
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Sherab Dorje wrote:You misunderstood me: if you call emptiness "the absolute" or "Brahma" then you are reifying it. You have made it something.
Oh, that statement was not meant for you. That was meant for the Hindu.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

oushi wrote:Can we conclude, from your words, that absolute and relative phenomena are not empty?
You can conclude whatever makes you happy.
In other words, if I reify a phenomena as absolute, will it case to be empty? Will it gain a non-empty nature?
Is clinging real? Is the object being clung to real? Is the "clinger" real?

Does it cause suffering?

Do you understand what I am saying?

oushi

Post by oushi »

Sherab Dorje wrote:Do you understand what I am saying?
No.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Then you obviously need to find yourself a better teacher than me.

oushi

Post by oushi »

I don't know your teacher, and I did not expect any explanation. Simple answer would be enough, but I received 3 questions instead. Did you think that my answers to those questions will be same as yours, and out of those answers I will be able to find the answer to my question?
Dude...
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

oushi wrote:I don't know your teacher, and I did not expect any explanation. Simple answer would be enough, but I received 3 questions instead. Did you think that my answers to those questions will be same as yours, and out of those answers I will be able to find the answer to my question?
Dude...
That is the simplest answer I can give you. You obviously need to find yourself a better teacher than me.

oushi

Post by oushi »

Sherab Dorje wrote:That is the simplest answer I can give you.
No, that's just overcomplicated nonsense. Thanks anyway. :namaste:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

oushi wrote:No, that's just overcomplicated nonsense. Thanks anyway. :namaste:
Depends on whether you want to know or to realise.

oushi

Post by oushi »

I wouldn't expect anything but meaningful answer, since I think that attempting to make someone realize sunyata through a post on internet forum, sounds comic.
So, did you try to make me understand, or realize it?
maybay

Re: View on B. Gita's concept of duty, killing, going to heaven

Post by maybay »

People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron

Return to “Lounge”