Nepal rescinds permission for Buddhist leader's cremation

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
honestdboy

Post by honestdboy »

Continuation of the discussion started here.

It seems Nepal is taking orders more and more from China. That's sad news. Shamarpa loved Nepal, but he also loved India and Bhutan--either of which would be good places for his last rites, IMHO. His kudung is now in Kalimpong, not far from his boyhood home of Rumtek. :meditate:
Kunga

Re: Shamar Rinpoche passed away

Post by Kunga »

philji

Post by philji »

Wow sad state of affairs..Not allowing the body of Shamarpa to enter Nepal.... From the little I know of HE Shamarpa it seemed he had a strong connection to Nepal. What will happen now????
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Very unfortunate state of affairs. Completely unnecessary. The official line seems to be that the refusal was made because Shamarpa had a Bhutanese diplomatic passport.

The Bhutanese have earned the ire of the Nepalese by expelling ethnic Nepalis in what some regard as ethnic cleansing - but I doubt that is the real reason.

I believe Shamarpa travelled unhindered to Nepal in his lifetime. I think this is more to do with the Nepali Maoists sending a message to ethnic TIbetans in Nepal.
This is not the wrong life.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Phayul[Monday, July 14, 2014 14:21]
Trinlay Thaye Dorje leads the body of Shamar Rinpoche at the Karmapa Buddhist Institute, New Delhi/File
Trinlay Thaye Dorje leads the body of Shamar Rinpoche at the Karmapa Buddhist Institute, New Delhi/File
DHARAMSHALA, JULY 14: The government of Nepal has revoked its decision to allow the last rituals of a prominent Buddhist leader who passed away in Germany last month due to heart attack, reported the New York Times.

The Nepalese Embassy in New Delhi had earlier issued a “no objection letter” for the body of Shamar Rinpoche to be taken to Nepal for the last rituals but reversed the decision after Nepal’s Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued directives to revoke the permission.

As per the wishes of the late Shamar Rinpoche his body was scheduled to be brought to Nepal for cremation at his own monastery, the Shar Minub in Kathmandu on Monday.

Laxmi Prasad Dhakal, a spokesman for Nepal’s Home Ministry, said the “no objection letter was retracted after we came to know that Rinpoche was found possessing a Bhutanese diplomatic passport.”

Nepal, home to some 20,000 Tibetans, has accommodated Tibetan exiles for decades but has come under increasing pressure from China, a major donor for the impoverished country, to crack down on the political protests by Tibetan refugees on its territory.

Sey Namkha Dorje, a Buddhist Scholar in Nepal, told the New York Times that China might have pressed Nepal to reverse its decision because a representative of His Holiness the Dalai Lama was to participate in the rituals.

Lobsang Tseten, Asia Regional Coordinator for International Tibet Network, said he was not surprised by Nepal's refusal to allow the last rites of Shamar Rinpoche. “Being born and brought up in Nepal, I have seen the rise in the level of repression by the Nepalese government towards the Tibetan community,” said Lobsang.

“Past few years, we have seen similar acts carried out by the Nepalese government. Refusal to allow proper cremation for Karma Nyidon Gyatso who self immolated in Kathmandu clearly shows China's influence on Nepal,” said Lobsang.

The body of Shamar Rinpoche was kept at the Karmapa Buddhist Institute in New Delhi till July 1st, and then at Diwakar Institute in Kalimpong. "Due to some unanticipated circumstances, we have had to postpone the departure of Shamar Rinpoche’s kudung from Kalimpong on July 13, 2014. We regret the inconvenience that this may have caused on your travel plans. We will be providing the updates once the date has been confirmed," said a statement on the official website of Shamar Rinpoche.

Shamar Rinpoche Mipham Chokyi Lodro was born in Derge, Tibet. At the age of four he was recognized by the 16th Karmapa, Rangjung Rigpei Dorje as the 14th Shamarpa.

The 14th Shamar Rimpoche wass one of the three main disciples of the previous Karmapa. After the death of the 16th Karmapa, Shamarpa recognized Thaye Dorje as the 17th Karmapa in 1994. However, Tai Situpa Rinpoche chose another boy, Ogyen Trinley Dorje as the 17th Karmapa who was approved by the Tibetan leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

For a long time the Indian govt. allowed the TGIE to decide who got an Indian passport from the Tibetan community. Elements of the GTIE felt it to their advantage to prioritize Gelug lamas getting passports. Bhutan stepped up to fill the demand for other lamas to get passports, so many lamas & translators have Bhutanese passports even thought there were not really residents of Bhutan.

I don't know if that is still the case however.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Knotty Veneer wrote:Very unfortunate state of affairs. Completely unnecessary. The official line seems to be that the refusal was made because Shamarpa had a Bhutanese diplomatic passport.

The Bhutanese have earned the ire of the Nepalese by expelling ethnic Nepalis in what some regard as ethnic cleansing - but I doubt that is the real reason.

I believe Shamarpa travelled unhindered to Nepal in his lifetime. I think this is more to do with the Nepali Maoists sending a message to ethnic TIbetans in Nepal.
The Maoists were voted out of power and suffered a humiliating defeat in the last election.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Kunga wrote:
Knotty Veneer wrote:Very unfortunate state of affairs. Completely unnecessary. The official line seems to be that the refusal was made because Shamarpa had a Bhutanese diplomatic passport.

The Maoists were voted out of power and suffered a humiliating defeat in the last election.
I bow to your superior knowledge of Nepalese politics. Do you think that China is behind this in any case? I find the Bhutanese passport explanation difficult to fathom given that Shamar R was never apparently refused entry to Nepal when he was alive.
This is not the wrong life.
philji

Post by philji »

Reasons for the. Refusal to allow the Kudu g into Nepal.... the official reason is that a foreigner's dead body is not allowed into Nepal for cremation or disposal.. So is seems to fit the criteria in this case.... What do others think?
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Knotty Veneer wrote:
Kunga wrote:

I bow to your superior knowledge of Nepalese politics. Do you think that China is behind this in any case? I find the Bhutanese passport explanation difficult to fathom given that Shamar R was never apparently refused entry to Nepal when he was alive.
Could well be - lots of gossip going round in Nepal at the moment. On the other hand, Nepal has been rounding up and deporting foreigners who are overstaying visas / here on dodgy visas lately; there seems to be some kind of drive by the government to tighten immigration across the board. Interestingly, large numbers of Chinese have been deported, they were in the top nationality bracket as published in the press (Westerner numbers were surprisingly low), and new restrictions have been mooted for regulating the number of teachers teaching Chinese in Nepal lately.
Jinzang

Re: Nepal rescinds permission for Buddhist leader's crematio

Post by Jinzang »

"It was his wish to be cremated in Nepal because of the historical connection between Nepal and the Shamarpas," said Neeraj KC from the Administration of the Shamarpa.
Nepal denies Chinese pressure over Tibetan monk's cremation

I didn't think that the 10th Shamar Rinpoche taking Nepal's side in it's war with Tibet was something that they'd play up.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Jinzang wrote:I didn't think that the 10th Shamar Rinpoche taking Nepal's side in it's war with Tibet was something that they'd play up.
Now that would be a REALLY old grudge.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Petition to allow the mortal remains of the 14th Kunzig Shamar Rinpoche to enter Nepalese territory.

Petition by

Giselle De Saint Phalle

Paris, France

Honorable Home Minister of Nepal Bamdev Goutam

The arrival of the Kudung (mortal remains) of the 14th Kunzig Shamar Rinpoche was scheduled to take place on the 14th of July in Kathmandu Nepal, following a month long trip in Germany and India. It seems, however, that the Nepalese government has retracted a 'no objection' permission letter that was issued some time ago. The retraction would mean that it would no longer be permitted to move the mortal remains of the 14th Kunzig Shamar Rinpoche from India to Nepal to allow his disciples in Nepal to be able to receive a final blessing.

The connection of the Kunzig Shamar Rinpoches to Nepal is very significant. In the 15th century the 4th Shamarpa Chokyi Drakpa founded a monastery at Swayambhunath which was later restored by both the 10th and 14th Shamarpas. That monastery is presided over to this day by the Shamarpa. The 8th Shamarpa Palchen Chokyi Dondrup was born in Nepal at Yelambhu in the 17th century. The 8th Shamarpa is revered for having restored many of the great stupas of Nepal. The 10th Shamarpa Chodrup Gyatso in the 18th century was also a prominent spiritual leader in Nepal. When he passed away in Nepal, in 1792, even the Nepalese royal family themselves came to pay their respects. The present 14th Shamarpa Mipham Chokyi Lodro, with the wish to maintain this important bond, has devoted a significant amount of his life for the benefit of Nepal and it's citizens. Not only as a prominent spiritual teacher but also restoring many important buddhist sites and building locations such as the Shar Minub monastery. Finally, he has made the request that his remains be brought back to Nepal where his reliquary stupa will be kept.

We respectfully ask the Nepalese government to please consider the great benefits that would result in allowing Shamar Rinpoches final resting place to be in Kathmandu, Nepal. The Karma Kagyu school is not involved in politics, tibetan or otherwise. It is an independent, international, spiritual organization, whose sole purpose is preserving the legacy of the Buddha with a special emphasis on meditative practices. Many of its followers are from Nepal, the historical birthplace of the Buddha Shakyamuni, as well as many other nations across the world . The late 14th Kunzig Shamar Rinpoche has never been, himself, involved in any politics. He has always stressed to his followers the importance of not mixing politics with their spiritual practice.

As we have seen since the death of our precious teacher Shamar Rinpoche (see attached video links) in both Germany and India there have not been any incidence of protests or problems. This opportunity to pay our last respects has been a time of deep sorrow and mourning which is meant as a final opportunity to receive Rinpoche's blessing. We assure you upon the arrival of the Kudung we will conduct ourselves with the utmost respect and discretion.

This retraction would deny Nepalis, some of whom are of little means, to receive a final blessing from their teacher, as well as international disciples who have already booked their travel arrangements. We humbly ask the Nepalese government and the entire world to respect the last wishes of the Great 14th Kunzig Shamar Rinpoche and allow his final resting place to be permitted without any obstructions at the noble Shar Minub Monastery in the sacred Kathmandu valley a place which was so esteemed and adored by the great Shamarpa.

We greatly appreciate your compassionate understanding in this difficult and sad time.

With all our respect

The devoted disciples of the 14th Kunzig Shamar Rinpoche

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Return to “Lounge”