Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:48 pm
Posts: 963
conebeckham wrote:
Son of Buddha, there's plenty of books for Buddhist "beginners" that are affordable.....a search through any used book store, or on-line, say at Alibris, or even Amazon, reveals this.

In general, a beginner shouldn't be reading Zabmo Nangdon, or Guyhagarbha, or Yeshe Lama, anyway, in my opinion.

That's true....
But what do poor Buddhists who are not beginners do when they have permission to read Zabmo Nangdon, or Guyhagarbha, or Yeshe Lama, but they cannot afford them?

Are you going to pay the 300$ they need to read all those texts?
What happens when the latest and newly translated tantric texts come out?.........do they have to fork over another 300$ to advance in their dharmic practice?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Son of Buddha wrote:
I wish All dharmic texts were free,that's what the Buddha wanted.


That is true only of sutra. It is completely not true of tantra.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Define "need."

And, while you're at it, please cite a scriptural source for Buddha's insistence that all Buddhist books be free. (Nevermind: you won't find one).

It is up to the individual to determine whether Dharma has value, and what that value may be. In our current Samsara, money is a primary measure of value, and is traded for other things one values.

At the time of Khyungpo Naljor, and Marpa, gold and textiles, among other things, were valued, and prospective students offered these things to teachers for the transmissions they received. Marpa actually had to return to Tibet to make money so he could go back to India for more teachings.

Although Buddha surely wished for the enlightenment of all sentient beings, I am certain he did not wish to equate the value of his dharma with "no cost."

Frankly, there are many who obtain a bunch of books, or obtain copies of material on-line, freely, via various means, and they value these materials about as much as they paid for them.

In the grand scheme of things, of course, one doesn't REALLY need books. But I think we all understand that.

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Son of Buddha wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
Son of Buddha, there's plenty of books for Buddhist "beginners" that are affordable.....a search through any used book store, or on-line, say at Alibris, or even Amazon, reveals this.

In general, a beginner shouldn't be reading Zabmo Nangdon, or Guyhagarbha, or Yeshe Lama, anyway, in my opinion.

That's true....
But what do poor Buddhists who are not beginners do when they have permission to read Zabmo Nangdon, or Guyhagarbha, or Yeshe Lama, but they cannot afford them?

Are you going to pay the 300$ they need to read all those texts?
What happens when the latest and newly translated tantric texts come out?.........do they have to fork over another 300$ to advance in their dharmic practice?


Poor Buddhists do their best to save money to obtain things they want, like anyone else. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but I don't have any other way to say it.

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:46 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Posts: 5773
Malcolm wrote:

The entire (reliable) translation of Longchenpa's commentary on Guhyagarbha is available for free on the internet. It is ludicrous therefore for anyone to restrict commentaries on it.


I'm interested in finding this one, but it seems my google skills aren't up to the task. If anyone could please point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it very much. Thank you.

_________________
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Jikan wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

The entire (reliable) translation of Longchenpa's commentary on Guhyagarbha is available for free on the internet. It is ludicrous therefore for anyone to restrict commentaries on it.


I'm interested in finding this one, but it seems my google skills aren't up to the task. If anyone could please point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it very much. Thank you.


http://vajrayana.faithweb.com/guhyagarbhatantra.pdf

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:51 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Posts: 5773
Thank you, Malcolm.

:cheers:

_________________
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:56 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Posts: 5773
conebeckham wrote:

Poor Buddhists do their best to save money to obtain things they want, like anyone else. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but I don't have any other way to say it.


I've been taught that it's actually good to make sacrifices for the sake of Dharma. I'm not exemplary in any respect, but there have been times I've skipped meals or done without certain things or worked extra hours so that I'd have gas money & time to attend teachings (for instance). I know for a fact there are practitioners who make much greater sacrifices than this.

I'm not suggesting it's virtuous to skip paying the power bill in order to give Shambhala Pubs all your money, however. I might change my position on this if their books were more consistently copyedited.

_________________
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group